*****BTHO Arkansas*****

10,423 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by mvegas
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MidTnAg said:

Coach Neighbors and his ladies made history. Incredible run. They just outplayed us.

Arkansas deserves credit: they beat us scoring at the end and on defense with the last 17 points scored.
MidTnAg
AG
Animal72 said:

In his 32 years as a collegiate head coach, Blair has only suffered one losing season, and has reached postseason play 28 times, including 23 NCAA Tournament appearances and 2 Final Four appearances in 1998 and 2011.

Uh, easy to 2nd guess, but maybe he knew something the rest of us "coaches" didn't! :-)
I don't know how he does it. But year after year he always has a winning team. We are extremely fortunate to have Coach Blair as our coach.
fitzwatema
AG
Bucketrunner said:

Both Caylinne and Jasmine played. Caylinne is not quick enough to play against Arky. Two of our best players were in the bench injured. Our best shot blocker had to sit out this year
They didn't play enough minutes to give the starters a good rest. Also, what about Cheah Rael-Whitsitt?

Injured players: Jackson, Ellison, Wilson, and Carter? Is that correct?
Bachelor99
AG
blair got flat out coached granted he had a short deck but the aggies should of won this game...very disappointing loss to the piggies!!
Bucketrunner
Yes. I thought I saw Cheah playing, but I might have it confused with yesterday. We are sure enough snake bit with injuries this year.
biobioprof
greg.w.h
AG
biobioprof said:

Great perspective by Blair, Ciera, and Sham. Very much enjoyed that press meetup.
oklaunion
I don't know who was hurt or not but I agree with the outcoached comment.

He had to use Jada, I realize, but she is not a ball handler or shooter and didn't handle that kind of pressure very well. Sham is a good shooter from the outside and has hit a number of 3 pointers over the season but she almost refuses to take an open, outside shot, instead opting to try to drive and, ultimately get rejected. Arkie realized she wasn't going to shoot from outside and made their job easier.

Arkie did a good job smothering Wells. I credit their coach. Johnson didn't kick it back out quickly enough before getting smothered but we weren't going to take an outside shot so what the heck. With Carter out, we don't have anyone but Wells willing to take an outside shot.

I think next year the key will be Jones. If she develops a dependable jump shot, like Howard has, she will be a twin threat with her good rebounding.

I would like to know how many shots we actually got off in the 4th quarter. If you don't try to take a shot, you can't score.
bball73
I may be a crowd of one but I don't think we can give the team and coach a pass with the excuse of the day and oh well, on to the next game attitude. Yes, one of our best players is out, yes we have a short bench but Arkansas was playing 3 games in 3 days. I just think our team didn't want it as much as the Hogs plus the usual coaching substitution issue. Hold a lead til the last 3 minutes - gee whiz!!!!

Back with Gillum I found watching the games painfully boring. Last few years I just really find it too painful to watch the Ags - too many close games that didn't need to be, too many leads given up etc.

fitzwatema
AG
Coach Blair and his team, certainly took the blame for losing the game and admitted they have flaws that need to be worked on. I think that is the most dejected interview I have seen from Coach Blair. He is usually still pretty upbeat after a loss but this one was different. I hope that he and the players take what they saw from the Arkansas game and go back to work on improving those specific flaws mentioned.

biobioprof
oklaunion said:

I would like to know how many shots we actually got off in the 4th quarter. If you don't try to take a shot, you can't score.
https://12thman.com/documents/2019/3/9//TAMU31.pdf

Both teams had 9 fga in the 4th quarter. We made 2, they made 4. All of theirs were 3 pointer. They didn't shoot any FTs until the 4th and went 8-10 from the FT line in the 4th while we were 2-2.

The pbp for some reason isn't available on 12thman.com or the Arkansas site, so using the ESPN version:
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=401119680

We actually increased the lead to 10 before the offense collapsed. Jada's driving layup at 6:30 made it 51-41. That was our last score. Here are the possessions after that:

6:15.....Raven Northcross-Baker made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Chelsea Dungee......44 - 51

5:57.....Ciera Johnson missed Jumper......44 - 51
5:57.....N'dea Jones Offensive Rebound......44 - 51
5:54.....N'dea Jones missed Two Point Tip Shot......44 - 51
5:54.....Taylah Thomas Defensive Rebound......44 - 51

5:47.....A'Tyanna Gaulden Turnover......44 - 51

5:18.....Ciera Johnson Turnover......44 - 51

5:14.....Alexis Tolefree made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Chelsea Dungee......47 - 51

4:50.....Foul on Alexis Tolefree......47 - 51
4:50.....Official TV Timeout.....47 - 51
4:32.....Jada Walton missed Three Point Jumper......47 - 51
4:32.....Jailyn Mason Defensive Rebound......47 - 51

4:12.....Jailyn Mason made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Chelsea Dungee......50 - 51

3:41.....Jada Walton Turnover......50 - 51

3:34.....Raven Northcross-Baker missed Three Point Jumper......50 - 51
3:34.....N'dea Jones Defensive Rebound......50 - 51

3:23.....Texas A&M Timeout.....50 - 51
3:14.....Foul on Kayla Wells......50 - 51
3:14.....Kayla Wells Turnover......50 - 51
Wells called for a push off offensive foul

3:03.....Foul on Kayla Wells......50 - 51
3:03.....Jailyn Mason made Free Throw......51 - 51
3:03.....Jailyn Mason made Free Throw......52 - 51

2:41.....Kayla Wells Turnover......52 - 51
2:40.....Malica Monk Steal......52 - 51

2:18.....Chelsea Dungee missed Jumper......52 - 51
2:18.....Arkansas Offensive Rebound......52 - 51
1:59.....Alexis Tolefree missed Three Point Jumper......52 - 51
1:59.....Taylah Thomas Offensive Rebound......52 - 51
1:55.....Taylah Thomas missed Two Point Tip Shot......52 - 51
1:55.....Ciera Johnson Block......52 - 51
1:54.....Arkansas Offensive Rebound......52 - 51
1:45.....Alexis Tolefree missed Three Point Jumper......52 - 51
1:45.....Chelsea Dungee Offensive Rebound......52 - 51
1:40.....Chelsea Dungee Turnover......52 - 51
1:39.....Kayla Wells Steal......52 - 51

1:22.....Ciera Johnson Turnover......52 - 51
1:22.....Malica Monk Steal......52 - 51
This was on a pass from Johnson to Jones. Monk was sagging onto Jones while Dungee double teamed Ciera

1:14.....Arkansas Timeout.....52 - 51
1:03.....Chelsea Dungee made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Malica Monk......55 - 51

0:55.....Texas A&M Timeout.....55 - 51
0:47.....Foul on Kayla Wells......55 - 51
0:47.....Kayla Wells Turnover......55 - 51
Charging on Wells

0:43.....Arkansas Timeout.....55 - 51
0:38.....Foul on Kayla Wells......55 - 51
0:38.....Taylah Thomas made Free Throw......56 - 51
0:38.....Taylah Thomas missed Free Throw......56 - 51
0:38.....Ciera Johnson Defensive Rebound......56 - 51
Wells fouls out. Ball game.

0:37.....Texas A&M Timeout.....56 - 51
0:34.....Lauren Harrison missed Three Point Jumper......56 - 51
0:34.....Chelsea Dungee Defensive Rebound......56 - 51

0:31.....Foul on Jasmine Williams......56 - 51
0:31.....Chelsea Dungee made Free Throw......57 - 51
0:31.....Chelsea Dungee made Free Throw......58 - 51

0:23.....Shambria Washington missed Jumper......58 - 51
0:23.....Malica Monk Defensive Rebound......58 - 51
0:00.....End of Game

eta: better box score up at 12thman.com now
Gap
AG
As long as we are announced as a host for games 1 and 2 on the Selection Show on Monday, March 18, everything that I hoped they would accomplish in Greenville will have been done.
Rudybryan
Yes they made mistakes but guess what our sophomors hv a better record as of right now than our nat'l championship team .... and we will be healthier for NCAA.....

jnocar
Ladies looked tired - guess short on bench matters a lot.
Th game against Auburn made me think best Aggie team in my memory.
Oh,well, when Carter's back & they'll beat anybody!
mvegas
Brutal loss, but ultimately...what Gap said.

Given the offseason turmoil and players lost, picked 6th in the conference preseason...to finish 3rd in conference with only 4 conference losses & getting to host NCAA games would be tremendous.

Hopefully they will learn from last night and that we'll have Chennedy back for game 1 of the Tourney.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.