2019 SEC Women's Basketball Awards announced

1,629 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by fitzwatema
aggieFann
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.secsports.com/article/26141989/2019-sec-women-basketball-awards-announced

The complete 2019 SEC Women's Basketball Postseason Awards follow.

First Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson, Georgia
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Maci Morris, Kentucky
Ayana Mitchell, LSU
Anriel Howard, Mississippi State
Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Sophie Cunningham, Missouri
Chennedy Carter, Texas A&M

Second Team All-SEC
Chelsea Dungee, Arkansas
Janiah McKay, Auburn
Crystal Allen, Ole Miss
Te'a Cooper, South Carolina
Tyasha Harris, South Carolina
Alexis Jennings, South Carolina
Rennia Davis, Tennessee
Mariella Fasoula, Vanderbilt

All-Freshman
Robyn Benton, Auburn
Blair Green, Kentucky
Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Akira Levy, Missouri
Destanni Henderson, South Carolina
Victaria Saxton, South Carolina
Zaay Green, Tennessee
Brinae Alexander, Vanderbilt

All-Defensive
Janiah McKay, Auburn
Caliya Robinson , Georgia
Taylor Murray, Kentucky
Jazzmun Holmes, Mississippi State
Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State

Co-Coaches of the Year: Matthew Mitchell, Kentucky and Vic Schaefer, Mississippi State
Player of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
Freshman of the Year: Rhyne Howard, Kentucky
Defensive Player of the Year: Teaira McCowan, Mississippi State
6th Woman of the Year: Cierra Porter, Missouri
Scholar-Athlete of the Year: Maci Morris, Kentucky
mvegas
With all due respect to Vic, how in the world does he get coach of the year? He had a loaded team that added Anriel. I think Mitchell is fine, but if there were going to be a co-coach I would have picked either Staley or Blair.

And...player of the year should be Chennedy IMO.
aggieFann
They said that Vic lost four starters so that may be why they chose him. I agree with you in regards to Staley or Blair. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for SC, yet SC is still ranked and could win the SEC tournament, I'm not even sure why Blair wasn't considered.
Bucketrunner
The year we won National, Mulkey won COA. They were so sure she and Bart were going to win
BQ92
AG
More troubling is only one player mentioned and she is now hurt
greg.w.h
AG
BQ92 said:

More troubling is only one player mentioned and she is now hurt

I would offer our other players continued into the late season to really make their presence known. Our starting five each contributed in meaningful, impactful wayside. Might be just came a little late to catch the attention of the voters.
fitzwatema
AG
aggieFann said:

They said that Vic lost four starters so that may be why they chose him. I agree with you in regards to Staley or Blair. This was supposed to be a rebuilding year for SC, yet SC is still ranked and could win the SEC tournament, I'm not even sure why Blair wasn't considered.

Blair lost 4 starters as well and Miss. State benefited from having several high profile transfers come in to go with his players he did have coming back.

I also agree with mvegas' comment that Chennedy should have been the player of the year.

Also what about Kayla for her offensive improvement and rebounding? Heck you could have looked at N'dea on the defensive team in terms of her rebounding ability alone.
DrQuincy
AG
Bart
BQ_90
AG
Mitchell with co coach if the year, finishing 4th?
Rudybryan
DrQuincy said:

Bart
Dr Q nickname for Griner
Rudybryan
Stuck to the script

Chennedy Carter named First Team All-SEC for the second consecutive year. She's the first player in Texas A&M history to be named to the conference's first team in her freshman and sophomore seasons.

mullokmotx
AG
N'dea was second in the league in rebounds for conference games. That should be enough to make the conference defensive team. But didn't the league keep leaving a former player off the conference teams until she transferred?
mullokag
biobioprof
mullokmotx said:

N'dea was second in the league in rebounds for conference games. That should be enough to make the conference defensive team. But didn't the league keep leaving a former player off the conference teams until she transferred?
I don't have a problem with Caliya Robinson as the 4 on the all-defensive team. But I don't see how Rennia Davis deserves 2nd team all SEC.
Rudybryan
Afraid this is gong to be another nail in Holly's coffin
fitzwatema
AG
mullokmotx said:

Isn't that the truth! Apparently Gary and his team get very little respect while Vic and Miss. St. are the chosen one!
fitzwatema
AG
Howard was cheated out of well deserved recognition when she was at A&M and now N'dea is being denied recognition for her efforts!
fitzwatema
AG
Howard was cheated out of well deserved recognition when she was at A&M and now N'dea is being denied recognition for her efforts!
greg.w.h
AG
fitzwatema said:

Help us out a little: who is the agent of denial of recognition. I'll wait...
Wicked Good Ag
I actually disagree. Jones has had a terrific season but not compared to those in first and second team. She has to get her offenseive numbers up by finishing at the rim and capitalizing on a mid range jumper. Very similar to Howard last season and this season scoring more from 12-18 ft
fitzwatema
AG
greg.w.h said:

fitzwatema said:

Help us out a little: who is the agent of denial of recognition. I'll wait...

I will give my opinion, no hard evidence. I think Vic, Robin Pingston and Holly Warlick would all be coaches to not vote for Aggie players, especially if it was close.
If the Aggies don't have N'dea's rebounding every game I think point production goes down and 2nd chance points for the other teams goes up.
Rudybryan
That's not true ... her rebound numbers were sky high but her offensive numbers didn't equal the other players that got the nod...,.she worked real hard this summer to bring her offensive gm up....
fitzwatema
AG
Rudybryan said:

That's not true ... her rebound numbers were sky high but her offensive numbers didn't equal the other players that got the nod...,.she worked real hard this summer to bring her offensive gm up....

I know her offensive weren't that good. I was saying if we don't have her rebounding numbers we don't get as many possessions, so the offensive point production goes down and the opposition numbers may go up due to a possible increase in second chance points. If that makes sense.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.