***** BTHO Miss State!! *****

11,533 Views | 123 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
mullokmotx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Espinoza-Hunter had made 16 3-pointers in the previous 11 Conference games. Got 7 against us. She was 2 of 5 against Missouri.
Wicked Good Ag
This is NOT a knock on Coach Blair at all because I have no issue at all with him being our head coach

That said I really would like to know what they work on in practice because Carter doesn't seem to want to run playsets versus more of an isolation play. And the team doesn't have a clear identity when she isn't in the game. I would love to see us press more but that would require solid bench minutes either to give a break to the starters during a press or to give them a break after a press sequence
greg.w.h
AG
Houstonag said:

Is it not clear what has happened. What actions need to be taken to remedy. Our program is in trouble and it is not going to get any better unless specific steps are taken by management and the coaches.

Under the current direction we will never be a top 10 program and will struggle to be a top 25. That is not my standard.

Riddle me this: if Danni and Lashes stayed would we have been top ten? Would we have made F4?

No one knows and frankly those are both critical players to lose. Given the circumstances, our team has made incredible progress this year with mostly sophomores.

Is that a miss on recruiting in basketball? Possibly. He and staff probably would have recruited a couple for fish for this year if they knew well in advance as in the previous fall.

I'd let you're "not in the top 25" argument go. We are and have been. You're "we are not headed for the top ten" needs to be qualified by "this year" at best and then you're predicting that because we lost to a potential F4/NC team whose coach happens to know us very well and has more talent including a forward that played three years with us.

Did we get beat badly? Yep. Give up now? No.
Wicked Good Ag
Danni when on would have given us another outside threat besides Carter and at times Wells

Howard would have done exact what she did against us and for us the previous three years. She would have allowed us to give Johnson more time to rest and had her and Jones on the floor and be a bit small but the most important thing would have been her and Jones probably would have never allowed us to be out rebounded on either end of the floor
Also that extra player would have allowed us to press more for a couple of minutes at a time earlier in the game. We have to do that at the end of tightbgames and then hope after a press works (if it does) that we actually have the legs to comeback. We did against Drake last season.

The kid from Manvel should allow us to put in a package for pressing or trapping much earlier in the game
BQ_90
AG
I think we'd be better with Howard, no different with Danni. We might have won with Danni against Lamar
greg.w.h
AG
Without specifically calling out either player, I have little doubt we would have been better especially the way Howard found rebounds to eat. Which is a reasonnot an excusewe are in the position we are in. Blair wants to put together another F4 run and believes he can. Short of missing the NCAAs this yearwhich I doubt we will missI think he's in a position to put a run together especially given the visible growth of the team this year.

The elephant in the room will still need attention. I'm not suggesting otherwise. Our D needs work. And we definitely look winded especially under pressure (which is the purpose of that pressure.). No easy fix for that other than more experience (which by itself could have resolved several of the inbounding issues...though conditioning also can help and keeps us healthy.)

I fully get the concerns. I'm not dismissing them. But Blair in my opinion has earned the opportunity to continue campaigning by how he guides each campaign. I'll also add that if I squint just a bit I see the the Colson/Carter-style dynamic which I suspect also had bumps.
Rudybryan
Here is a reality check for you.......what we see is a drop in the bucket to what our coaches do

Outside of coaching basketball what do our coaches have to do

anyone had a teenager at home who is of the female sex.....think about it

These coaches have to deal with the emotional, psychological, and their social well-being

along with their education, boy friends, girl friends, parents, other student relationships,

Their health, dental, vision and nutritional needs...

..making sure they stay in compliance under NCAA guidelines, workouts, practices, games,
travel , safety, etc

Then throw in the parents. family problems or illness, sometimes divorced parents where you have two sets to deal with, ..........

and if you think about it you would have to be really dedicated because
times this by the number of kids(15) and then scream

So I cut the coaches a big break cause sometimes I see whats going on and if it was my kid
my foot would be inserted and someone would have to call a doctor to get it out..

but we now live in a pamper world where being PC is more important than learning the world is not all roses..
revolving around them

.They will experience disappointments, inequities, and find out nothing is for free......so they learn, work hard and they can exceed.....whine and cry they will fail.....the choice is theirs

sharpdressedman
greg.w.h said:

Riddle me this: if Danni and Lashes stayed would we have been top ten? Would we have made F4?

IMO, the team would have been better if GB had not blown it up to please Carter. Top 10? I think so. Final Four? Fair chance. Present situation? Winning two games in the NCAA tourney is unlikely.
biobioprof
sharpdressedman said:

greg.w.h said:

IMO, the team would have been better if GB had not blown it up to please Carter. Top 10? I think so. Final Four? Fair chance. Present situation? Winning two games in the NCAA tourney is unlikely.
How the heck did GB blow it up to please Carter? Did Carter want them to leave? Did GB tell them to leave?

That's sure not how I remember what happened.
jja79
AG
All time greatest goal tender.
Houstonag
AG
I see a lot of rationalization from some who just want to accept where we are. We are where we are due to the circumstances that has happened the last few years. Failure to maintain competiveness with good recruiting, manage team comradery, and simply instill and coach at a detail level skills and toughness required to be a continuous top 10 team.

There are many good programs out there. Those that are in the top 10 routinely have similar characteristics.

Wicked Good Ag
If you don't think our team is Top 25 then I don't know what to say. This team has deficiencies but it is a team that may very well host again a NCAA subregional and make another Sweet 16 run.

We have to figure out a way to look fluid when Carter is not on the floor
Rudybryan
Let's talk about who the better coaches ARE -----

When Kim Mulkey got Griner. everyone assumed they would win the NC 4 yrs in a row since she was so tall and the best player in league with a good squad around her......Well folks she only won 1 NC(2012) and after kicking our ass 3 times Gary out coached and our kids outplayed and kicked hers in Dallas and we won one of those NC

So she won 1 out of 4........Kim has 2 NC 2005 and 2012 Kim was sweet sixteen in 2018, elite eight in 2017 ,2016 #1 now and she says this is her year again

Vic Schaffer built a team around McCown who is the best player in the league.....

2016 they went to Sweet 16 and lost to UCONN 38 to 98

2017 went to National Championship and lost to South Carolina 55 to 67
2018 went to National Championship and lost to Notre Dame 58 to 61

Both NC losses they were out coached and out played. - Vic has to prove he can coach a
big game he was an assoc head coach during 2011 NC -has made the finals twice - he made mistakes so maybe 3rd times a charm.

IF he can get passed UCONN in E8..OOPS new bracket now he will go head to head with Kim.....here's
a defensive rematch

greg.w.h
AG
Houstonag said:

I see a lot of rationalization from some who just want to accept where we are. We are where we are due to the circumstances that has happened the last few years. Failure to maintain competiveness with good recruiting, manage team comradery, and simply instill and coach at a detail level skills and toughness required to be a continuous top 10 team.

There are many good programs out there. Those that are in the top 10 routinely have similar characteristics.

I am not going to let you talk down my opinion that way. You disdain Blair. Got it. Produce the funds to replace him and get a "better" coach. Then go talk to the TMF and AD. You don't need any help from the fans here to do that.
biobioprof
jja79 said:

All time greatest goal tender.
I'll take that as an admission that you're unable to add anything of value to the discussion.
Houstonag
AG
Greg, I have. In regard to your defensive attitude about GB I just look at trends and performance. I call shots objectively. Nothing personal, and I do not dislike GB. I just want a top 10 capable program in all sports. Will we be perfect all the time; of course not. Have a good day.
greg.w.h
AG
Houstonag said:

Greg, I have. In regard to your defensive attitude about GB I just look at trends and performance. I call shots objectively. Nothing personal, and I do not dislike GB. I just want a top 10 capable program in all sports. Will we be perfect all the time; of course not. Have a good day.

Thanks. As I said: I understand your perspective.
jja79
AG
You would be wrong. There really is no discussion with you. Time has passed this program, as a championship contender, by. Neither the recruiting nor the player development is top level. By top level I'm talking about teams that can win the conference or the NC. Anyone pointing out the obvious is shut down by you.
biobioprof
jja79 said:

You would be wrong. There really is no discussion with you. Time has passed this program, as a championship contender, by. Neither the recruiting nor the player development is top level. By top level I'm talking about teams that can win the conference or the NC. Anyone pointing out the obvious is shut down by you.
One of the nice things about the user profile feature is that I can go back and see if I've actually posted anything that could be interpreted as shutting you down on this board. I failed to find anything where I even responded to you before you called me a goaltender.

I did find a post from you where I thought the first half was in agreement with what I have said repeatedly

https://texags.com/forums/58/topics/3012983/replies/53510351
Quote:

Everyone knows he isn't coming back. Everyone also knows this won't work.

My last post before you called me a goaltender objected to someone who is much more of a regular here than you saying that Blair blew it up to please Carter. I disagreed with that characterization. Apparently that's goaltending and shutting down discussion.

whatever.
jja79
AG
You didn't read my post before replying. I didn't say you shut me down.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.