No. 22 Women Host LSU In BTHO Breast Cancer Game Thursday

665 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by biobioprof
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?

COLLEGE STATION No. 22 Texas A&M faces LSU for the fifth time in just under 13 months, hosting the Lady Tigers in a women's basketball game Thursday, February 14 at 6:30 p.m. inside Reed Arena.

The game is the Aggies' 13th annual BTHO Breast Cancer Game presented by CHI St. Joseph Health. Texas A&M is wearing black and pink jerseys with names on the back that honors someone close to the player who battled cancer. Over the 12-year history of the event, Texas A&M has raised over $180,000 to support the Kay Yow Cancer Fund and the Pink Alliance.

"It means it lot for me, being that my mom passed away in 2013 from breast cancer," said sophomore guard Jada Walton. "It is going to mean a lot to have her name on the back of my jersey and to play for something other than myself and my team."

All fans are encouraged to wear pink, and fans that wear pink can purchase admission in-person for just $3. Breast cancer survivors and those currently undergoing treatment receive free admission and are honored at halftime. BTHO Breast Cancer shirts are available for $10 each on the concourse, and the first 700 fans receive Pink BTHO Breast Cancer towels.

"A couple of years ago I lost my aunt to breast cancer, and it is the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with in life," said sophomore guard Chennedy Carter. "In high school she was like a mother figure to me, and this game just means a lot to me. I'm going to play my heart out and we're going to play hard for those that are fighting."

Additionally, Texas A&M assistant coach Bob Starkey and his wife Sherie, a breast cancer survivor, announced they are donating $2 for each Texas A&M student in attendance.

The game is broadcast on SEC Network + with Mike Wright and Steve Miller on the call, available exclusively through WatchESPN and the ESPN app on smartphones, computers, tablets and connected devices (Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku, Xbox 360 and Xbox One). Radio listeners can hear Tom Turbiville and John Thornton on The Zone 1150 AM/102.7 FM in Bryan-College Station, and online at 12thMan.com.

The Aggies (18-5, 7-3 SEC) have won seven of their last eight games, rising from 11th to third place in the SEC standings, using the league's youngest starting lineup. Carter leads the SEC in scoring at 22.2 points per game, and Kayla Wells is the league's most improved scorer, increasing her scoring average to 14.0 points, an improvement of 11.2 points since last season.

LSU (14-8, 5-5 SEC) has won back-to-back games, defeating Missouri and Arkansas to even its conference record. Ayana Mitchell leads the Lady Tigers with 13.3 points per game, and Khayla Pointer chips in 12.1.

Texas A&M held a 52-51 lead with just over three minutes to play in the teams' previous matchup on Jan. 6, but the Aggies went cold as LSU closed on a 12-0 run to win 63-52. Carter led the Aggies with 20 points, and Mitchell had a game-high 22 for LSU. Texas A&M took two-of-three matchups with LSU last season, including a 75-69 win in the SEC Quarterfinals.

2019 BTHO Breast Cancer Honor Jerseys
Player Honor Name Relationship
Aja Ellison - Tyler Thomas - Former Coach
Aahliyah Jackson - Lula Jackson - Grandmother
Aaliyah Wilson - Uncle Boots - Uncle
Chennedy Carter - Aunt Nedra - Aunt
Shambria Washington - Brigette Hart-Sims - Friend's mother
Kayla Wells - Coach Morrow - High School Coach
Cheah Rael-Whitsitt - Aunt Cindy - Aunt
Jada Walton - Danielle - Mother
Jasmine Williams - Yogi - Mother
Lauren Harrison - Tammy Baz - Family Friend
N'dea Jones - Clara Wilson - Grandmother
Anna Dreimane - Ingrida Bruvere - Family Friend
Caylinne Martin - Mary House - Fan
Ciera Johnson - Sheila Falls - Aunt
Gary Blair - Holly Rowe - ESPN Personality

GAME NOTES; LSU (PDF)
fitzwatema
AG
Let's do this Aggies, BTHO LSU and BTHO out of Breast Cancer!
biobioprof
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.