No. 18 Women Fall In Overtime To Missouri, 68-65

1,228 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Rudybryan
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
COLUMBIA, Mo.No. 18 Texas A&M fell in overtime 70-65 to Missouri in a women's basketball game at Mizzou Arena Thursday.

The Tigers (17-7, 6-4 SEC) outscored Texas A&M 16-9 in the fourth quarter, using a layup by Akira Levy to tie the game at 61 with 35 seconds to go. Lauren Aldridge's 3-pointer with 4:07 to play in overtime gave Missouri the lead for good.

Texas A&M (18-5, 7-3 SEC) was led by Chennedy Carter, who scored 29 points. Kayla Wellsadded 18 and Ciera Johnson had 10. In the game, Carter became the fourth player in Texas A&M history with 30 consecutive games scoring at least 10 points and moved up to 14th on Texas A&M's career scoring list.

N'dea Jones added a team-high 12 rebounds and a career-high five blocks.

Missouri opened the game on a 13-4 run, with Sophie Cunningham scoring eight of her 20 points in that span. Missouri led 34-32 at halftime.

The loss snaps Texas A&M's seven-game winning streak, which was the school's longest in SEC play since 2013.

The Aggies return home to host LSU in the annual BTHO Breast Cancer game on Thursday, February 14 at 6:30 p.m.

NOTES

Texas A&M
  • Texas A&M is 18-5 on the season and 7-3 in SEC play, while Missouri improves to 17-7 overall and 6-4 in SEC games
  • This snaps Texas A&M's seven-game win streak, which was the program's longest SEC win streak since 2013
  • Texas A&M is 0-1 in overtime games this season. The Aggies are 5-4 in SEC overtime games all-time, with three of those contests coming against Missouri (1-2).
  • Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair is 375-156 in 16 seasons in Aggieland. He is 783-319 in his Hall of Fame career, which ranks seventh among active coaches in career wins

Chennedy Carter
  • Became the fourth Texas A&M player to score 10+ points in 30 consecutive games. Previously, only Prissy Sharpe (30 games, 1998-99), Danielle Adams (32 games, 2010-11) and Khaalia Hillsman (30 games, 2016-17) have accomplished the feat
  • Carter has 55 games of at least 10+ points in 56 career games. She scored eight in the other game.
  • Scored 20+ points for the sixth consecutive game and the 15thtime this season. She extends her school record with her 39thcareer game of 20+ points
  • Scored 20 points in the first half, for her second 20+ point first half of the season. She scored 24 in the first half vs. then-No. 8 Oregon State (Dec. 15)
  • Passed Kera Alexander (1,239 points, 1996-2000) for 14th on Texas A&M's career scoring list with 1,260 career points

Kayla Wells
  • Scored 10+ points for the sixth straight game and the 18th time this season

N'dea Jones
  • Had a career-high five blocks
  • Had 10+ rebounds for the 14th time this season

Ciera Johnson
  • Scored 10+ points for the sixth straight game and the 18th time this season. She has scored 10+ points in 10 of her last 11 games.

FINAL STATS(PDF)
jja79
AG
When you don't develop your bench sometimes the worn out starters have little left at the end.
Wicked Good Ag
He has a developed bench. He trusts the starters more. The time to use the bench in Blair's system is sporadically in the first half with longer minutes if a player is effective and then use them for 2-3 minute bursts in the second half
biobioprof
Sham was supposed to come off the bench. Then Wilson went down.
The next guard off the bench was between Walton, Jackson, and Williams. Jada was emerging as the choice and Jackson has been injured. Jada was in the hotel with a fever.
jja79
AG
How often do you see an Aggie at the scorer's table to check in?

51 bench points in 10 conference games. That includes 16 in the Alabama blowout. That's 35 in the other 9 games, 4 points per game.

Tell me about that developed bench.
fitzwatema
AG
A lot of the time the bench players aren't shooting the ball. For instance in the Mizzou game the 4 or 5 players off the bench took a total of 2 shots between them. It's hard to contribute points if you don't shoot the ball. Do I wish I bench played more and contributed more points, heck yes but it isn't happening right now.
cs69ag
AG
Bigger problem, not enough balance in touches and scoring among all 5 starters.
When we opened the lead in the 3rd qtr. Johnson was scoring, Wells was scoring and Carter wasn't dead tired yet
and was still scoring. Total lack of team ball in 4th qtr and in OT. Despite that, I think if Walton could have played or the bad call against us that went for Cunningham had gone our way, then no OT and Ags win a close one.
I fully expect to beat Mizzou if we play them in the SEC tournament.... if we are healthier. Also, we will need a ref crew who is not afraid to make calls on Cunningham when she is doing her cheap shots, holding jerseys, etc.
Rudybryan
Cunningham's Valentine present is Ms State......and we hv them on Sunday....let's see

what happens to her cheap shots there
biobioprof
jja79 said:

How often do you see an Aggie at the scorer's table to check in?

51 bench points in 10 conference games. That includes 16 in the Alabama blowout. That's 35 in the other 9 games, 4 points per game.

Tell me about that developed bench.
This season it's been a higher priority to develop the starters.
fitzwatema
AG
Rudybryan said:

Cunningham's Valentine present next Sunday is Ms State......let's see

what happens to her cheap shots there
Mizzou has Ms. State on Valentine's Day and Aggies have Ms. State on Sunday!
jja79
AG
That's a funny way to spell wear out.
Rudybryan
Tks Fitz my brain had the idea my fingers dropped the ball
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.