Schaefer Signs Four-Year Contract Extension

3,256 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Bucketrunner
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Schaefer Signs Four-Year Contract Extension

STARKVILLE, Miss. Only one coach has guided his team to the national championship game the past two years in women's basketball, and that's Mississippi State's Vic Schaefer.

On Monday, Mississippi State rewarded the Naismith National Coach of the Year's efforts with a new four-year contract following back-to-back Final Fours and numerous national coach of the year accolades.
"We are excited about continuing our quest of winning SEC and National Championships and extending the success of recent years," said Schaefer, who is entering his seventh season at the helm following a remarkable run as an assistant at Arkansas and Texas A&M. "I convey my heartfelt appreciation and gratitude to my dedicated and talented staff, to my high achieving student-athletes and to the enthusiastic fan support of Bulldogs across the country. I also want to thank Dr. (Mark) Keenum and Mr.(John) Cohen for their trust, confidence and continued support of our women's basketball program. My highest priority is to continue the precedence that we have established through recruiting quality student-athletes, maintaining the highest of personal conduct, integrity and performance standards, graduating our student athletes,and bringing national prominence to this great University and to the Bulldog Nation.

"Holly, Blair, Logan and I are proud Bulldogs, and we appreciate what MSU has done for our family."
Schaefer has taken the Bulldogs to unprecedented heights in school history, highlighted by the program's first SEC regular-season crown en route to a school-record and nation's-most 37 wins.
The Texas native also guided MSU to a second-consecutive Final Four after winning the Kansas City Region. His team advanced to Columbus, Ohio, after garnering the first No. 1 seed in program history.
In addition to being named Naismith National Coach of the Year, Schaefer was also named SEC Coach of the Year by the Associated Press and his peers along with National Coach of the Year by the WBCA and USBWA.
"Coach Schaefer has elevated our women's basketball program to an elite level," MSU Director of Athletics John Cohen said. "His student-athletes' achievements both in the classroom and on the court have set a standard of excellence. We look forward to seeing our national coach of the year on the sidelines for a long time to come."

The Bulldogs, who garnered the first No. 1 seed in program history, opened the 2017-18 campaign with 32-straight wins, which resulted in the second-longest winning streak in SEC history. They also completed the regular season 30-0, the first SEC team to achieve that feat in 20 years.

MSU also posted the first undefeated season at Humphrey Coliseum in men's or women's basketball history, tallying an 18-0 mark in front of a record attendance total. State eclipsed 100,000 at the Hump for the first time, drawing a nation's sixth-most 133,906. That total included a Humphrey Coliseum-record 10,794 for State's Feb. 5 win against South Carolina. MSU claimed 11 of the Top 20 single-game attendance marks this
season.

While his 2017-18 squad has once again been stellar defensively, ranking Top 25 nationally in scoring defense at 56.4 ppg, it has also had the best offensive season by a Bulldog team, scoring a school-record 3,164 points and ranking 11th in the country with an 81.1 scoring average.

MSU has also posted the second-best field goal percentage in school history (46.8 percent), and it has knocked down 278 3-pointers, the most by an MSU team and the third-highest tally in SEC history. The 2017-18 Bulldogs also set the season free-throw percentage record for the third-straight year, hitting 74.6 percent from the stripe.

His sixth State edition also set new single-season program standards for rebounds (1,158), 3-point percentage (38.9 percent), assists (602) and fewest turnovers (421).

The Bulldogs also enjoyed a record-setting 2017-18 year in the classroom as well, following a record 3.40 fall GPA with a 3.44 mark in the spring.

Vic Schaefer Contract Summary
Four-year employment contract
Total base compensation:
2018: $1,584,000
2019: $1,550,000
2020: $1,600,000
2021: $1,650,000
$375,000 retention bonus if still employed as Mississippi State head coach on June 1, 2021.

NOW DO YOU THINK HE IS LEAVING TOWN
gigum
AG
Who is next in line for Gary's replacement?
gigum
AG
p.s. Congratulations to Vic. Well deserved!
MSU/SECALUM
gigum said:

Who is next in line for Gary's replacement?
Johnnie Harris?
Tzone
His contract is through 2020-2021 season. Coach Bond is HC in waiting.
Bucketrunner
I would love to see Kelly as head coach.
MUAG
Johnnie Harris would be a good choice. Johnnie recruited Danielle Adams after Bone went to SC (Ags would not have had a NC if Bone had come to A&M out of high school) resulting in the NC. Recruited other members of that team. A player's father 3 years ago told me that if Johnnie was still here C. Williams would have been one of the all time best. Johnnie recruited her and would have kept her mind right. Johnnie is given credit for coaching up McGowan. Lots of reasons Johnnie would be a good to great head coach. Just my opinion for discussion.
Thymes
Perhaps now we can dispense with the myth of Vic coming back to Aggieland to put Gary out the pasture.
trackaggie76
AG
Our AD is a winner and when the time is right Vic will be back at A&M as the highest paid women's BBall coach in American (OK Geno may make more ).
Bucketrunner
I sure hope not. We've enjoyed having season tickets and would hate to give them up.
Thymes
After Vic rushed off from speaking at Muster to recruit one of our star players as a senior transfer, I never again want to see him associated with Texas A&M.

Yes, we have a talented athletic director who can be trusted, once the time comes, to find a replacement for Gary. He probably has his own list, which I'm sure is replete with excellent candidates. I hope it isn't used for many years.
trackaggie76
AG
Yep you make a good point there!!! Oh well---bottom line--GB is doing a great job and ain't going anywhere anytime soon and when the time comes the AD will be ready.
jnocar
Vic - 1.6 million; isn't Coach Gary paid about $500K?
HiddenAg2
Blair makes over a million.

When it comes time to replace Blair, if Woodward wants Vic he will get him. Money won't be an issue.
trackaggie76
AG
I agree--AD has shown that money will not be a showstopper in getting who he wants.
CarmineCarlucci
As much as I would love to see Vic come back home, he is treated like a Rock star in Starkville and has more fan support than anyone in SEC with possible exception of SC. He recently purchased a lot of land with a huge lake. Does not sound like anyone who plans to go elsewhere.
Rudybryan
April 28,2017 IN CASE YOU FORGOT

COLLEGE STATIONThe Texas A&M University System Board of Regents voted on Thursday to extend the contract for Aggie women's basketball coach Gary Blair an additional three years through the 2020-21 season.

The Board authorized Texas A&M President Michael K. Young to execute the coach's employment contract in conjunction with Director of Athletics Scott Woodward.

"Gary is a Hall of Fame coach and continues to do an outstanding job," Woodward said. "I am encouraged by his energy and focus to keep Aggie women's basketball among the best in the nation."

Blair, who was named to the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013, just finished his 14th season in Aggieland and the school made its record 12th straight NCAA appearance which also included the 2011 national championship. He is the winningest active coach in the SEC in terms of overall victories (739) as well as SEC wins (108).

"I am very appreciative to the Texas A&M administration for their support of Aggie women's basketball," Blair said. "The Aggie family is loyal and this contract extension helps us share our vision for the continued success of our program."

"I am as encouraged and excited as I have ever been to coach our team and recruit terrific young ladies who are not only great basketball players, but terrific people as well." Blair added. "This lets our student-athletes, recruits, and fans know that my coaching staff and I plan to be at Texas A&M for the foreseeable future."

Blair has had 11 players selected in the WNBA draft in the past nine years. Blair will begin his 33rd year as a collegiate head coach. He is one of only three head coaches to lead two different teams to the NCAA Women's Final Four (Texas A&M and Arkansas) and one of only eight coaches to lead three different programs to the NCAA Tournament (Stephen F. Austin, Arkansas, Texas A&M).

In addition to his success on the hardwood, Blair is an active member of the Bryan-College Station community and has helped Special Olympics raise more than $1 million dollars during his coaching career.

WBB SALARY 2016-2017

http://www.sportsinfo.pro/WBBSurvey2017.html
Thymes
In other words, Vic's not coming.
trackaggie76
AG
At least not until after 2021!
Bucketrunner
and hopefully not then!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.