2018-2019 Depth Chart

2,243 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Thymes
mvegas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
With Danni, Anriel, and Emer's departures, what's the depth chart look like for this coming season? And, is it correct that Ciera Johnson will have 2 years of eligibility with us?
Gap
AG
Ciera Johnson will have 3 years of eligibility left to play.
biobioprof
I believe that Johnson has 3 years of eligibility remaining. 2016-17 Fr at Louisville, RS last year with us.

My guesses, roughly ordered by my confidence

1 Chennedy Carter, Shambria Washington
Carter is the obvious starter and Washington was brought in to be a PG. The only doubt here would be if Carter plays the 2 more in the future.

5 Ciera Johnson, Caylinne Martin
Blair will go small before we see a third post.

3 Kayla Wells, ??
I see Aaliyah Wilson sliding to the 3 when Wells is out of the game.

4 N'dea Jones, Cheah Rael-Whitsett, Aja Ellison
The comments from Blair posted in the other thread by AggieFann makes me think he sees Cheah as an Anriel replacement. I don't know if Ellison will be a grad transfer, but she shared an award for classroom performance at their WBB banquet, and she'd have enough hours based on having a RS year.

2 Jada Walton, Aaliyah Wilson
Wilson could easily be the starter, but Jada could surprise here. I was impressed with her in limited PT.

I don't have a good sense of where Jasmine Williams and Aaliyah Jackson fit or how they developed during the past year.

Edit to add: Eagle article confirms that Ellison is a grad transfer.
cs69ag
AG
Based on what we know now, what Bio has listed re a depth chart by position looks right on to me.

I think the key to having a good team is how Ciera Johnson at 6'4" plays at the 5 position.
If she can run the floor, jump off the floor, catch passes without fumbling out of bounds, make offensive moves without putting the ball on the floor, and make some shots other than put backs or point blank, we could be improved there. If she can hit free throws so much the better!

Carter will be improved and hopefully a better distributor of the ball. We know she can score.
Wells is good on offense. Needs work on D. Looks like a lot of talent and depth at the 4 position.

I think there is enough talent and players to choose from to hopefully play 8-10 players regularly.

I hope GB can add a scrimmage or two with other schools or maybe a second exhibition game if that is allowed
to bring this team along and figure out the combos that play well together, and who the first 5 are. It may be the type team that will really improve as the season plays out, and be tough in SEC play. We have Vic and Dawn
bringing their teams to Reed this year!
Rudybryan
How many starters did Vic lose?
aggieFann
He lost four to graduation I believe.
cs69ag
AG
If you only have one starter back, nice to have an All American point guard or a 6'7"
5 position player!!
biobioprof
aggieFann said:

He lost four to graduation I believe.
Victoria Vivians
Morgan William
Blair Schaefer
Ro Johnson

They should be OK at G with Jazzmun Holmes and Jordan Danberry as veterans plus RS Fr Myah Taylor, a 5 star recruit. But Holmes and Danberry off the bench will have to be replaced and while both are good it's not clear whether there will be a drop off. Neither of them took very many 3 pointers, while Ro and Blair, along with Vivians, obviously made the defenses pay for packing things in too much.

Vivians played the 4 last year and had 19.8 ppg. Replacing her will be interesting.

My bottom line is that they will be OK but not a national favorite. They might still be at the top of the SEC because of McCowan and how there isn't another team that stands out to me. We would have been up there with Danni and Anriel, IMO.

Last year's final SEC teams that made the dance

• MS State - loses 4 starters
  • S Carolina - loses Aja Wilson, Cuevas-Moore transferring, Jennings is apparently not sure she's coming back.
  • Georgia - could be up there. They lose Engram and some good bench players but return a bunch of very young guards who played well. But Engram was a real key to the team and they are offensively challenged.
  • Tenn - Russell and Nared are gone. Lots of talent but the front line may go from a strength to a weakness.
  • Mizzou - Cunningham and Porter will be back but Frericks was a big part of last year in terms of keeping teams from focusing entirely on Sophie. It seemed to me like after we beat them at Reed teams figured out their weakness. They struggled in the SEC tourney vs a bad Ole Miss Team and then went out in the next round. Then they got upset in the NCAAs
  • Ags - sigh.
  • LSU - They already were losing Raigyne Louis and then Chloe Jackson transferred. Mickie DeMoss left the coaching staff. They're bringing in JuCos.

Of course, there area probably players I'm not familiar with on each of those teams who are expected to step up. But look at the all conference teams. I've struck through the ones who won't be back in the SEC

First Team All-SEC
Raigyne Louis LSU
Teaira McCowan Mississippi State
Victoria Vivians Mississippi State
Sophie Cunningham Missouri
A'ja Wilson South Carolina
Jaime Nared Tennessee
Mercedes Russell Tennessee
Chennedy Carter Texas A&M

Second Team All-SEC
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Mackenzie Engram Georgia
Chloe Jackson, LSU
Maci Morris Kentucky
Morgan William Mississippi State
Jordan Frericks Missouri
Tyasha Harris South Carolina
Khaalia Hillsman Texas A&M

All-Freshman
Unique Thompson Auburn
Que Morrison Georgia
Promise Taylor Ole Miss*
Bianca Jackson South Carolina
Rennia Davis Tennessee
Evina Westbrook Tennessee
Chennedy Carter Texas A&M
Chelsie Hall Vanderbilt

All-Defensive
Daisa Alexander Auburn
Caliya Robinson Georgia
Taylor Murray Kentucky
Raigyne Louis LSU
A'ja Wilson South Carolina
Blair Schaefer Mississippi State
Teaira McCowan Mississippi State

*Promise Taylor might be on an SEC team, but will have to sit out a year as a transfer from Ole Miss.
Thymes
Quote:

• Ags - sigh.

It still hurts.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.