Danni transferring?

47,156 Views | 252 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tzone
trackaggie76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If transfer rumors regarding Danni are true what in the heck is going on inside the program?
Thymes
My wife talked to Danni's mom last week. It's not happening unless something startling has happened in a very short time.

Danni has done a yeoman's job in the classroom. She'll graduate in May. That's a 4-year degree in 3 years. A&M has a graduate program in sports management, her major.

I think that as long as schools are willing to host her for official visits, she might as well have some fun.

I think Lashes is gone but Danny stays.

trackaggie76
AG
Hope you are right
aggieFann
I just saw reports that her and Howsrd are in Connecticut visiting UConn this weekend. What's really going on ?
Bucketrunner
If a player is not committed to their team, then they truly do need to move on. I can't imagine these two being part of the Aggie team again.
aggieFann
It still baffles me that one of our best recent years where we are a few defensive stops away from making the slight 8 and now we have two possible transfers. I have to wonder were they feeling this way when we couldn't get past the second round in the NCAA tournament.
Sports-Ag
AG
My goodness! What is going on?
mullokmotx
AG
Robert Cessna in the Eagle reports that Danni is visiting Connecticut with Anriel. Who knows, maybe they will decide to keep playing together here. Does the SEC have a rule about graduate transfers playing at a different SEC school?
Bucketrunner
We selected a 3 star athlete, coached her natural ability to the point that she would have been a top candidate for all conference next year, and supported her desire for broadcasting/interview experience. Her response to this is to abandon her coaches and team for something she feels is a little shinier. In addition, she takes with her a teammate who disappeared when her shots were needed most in the last game. The whole thing stinks to high heaven.

My apologies if I am stepping on any toes, but I am pretty ticked about this.
jja79
AG
When your girlfriend goes on a date with another guy she's not your girlfriend.
Wicked Good Ag
So you bash on both kids for getting degrees and leaving when Danni might not even leave ??

Look Danni's game is solid when she gets in rhythm but the fact that one player takes over the offensive end whenever she tells she want or needs to doesn't allow players to play in a system which has worked for years.
I get the criticism that can be directed towards players and teams. I would love to see a bench get more action but Blair did what he did the last two years with a shortened bench to get the best result.

If they both leave they leave with degrees in hand and three years of solid play. I would love to see both of them for a fourth year here in Aggieland. But it is not my decision it is theirs as soon to be graduates of Texas A&M.

And if you feel they are abandoning their team do you feel the same way when a grad student or player transfers into our programs a la Duane Wilson or Collins or on the women's side with the two McDonald's AAs we have next year?
trackaggie76
AG
Something is terribly wrong when two starters "explore options" after 3 years in the program and a guaranteed starting position next year, their senior year! If neither player was getting sufficient playing time this might make some sense. I am confused, frustrated and mostly disappointed. But....as has been said, the players are entitled to do what they want, but this extreme action must have been caused by something serious within the program or some external reason we don't know about.

I agree that the toothpaste is out of the tube. How do they return next year?

biobioprof
I'm actually a bit surprised there hasn't been more of the kind of reaction Bucket posted. As you know, I've reserved most of my negativity for the people who have used the situation to spread gossip about speculations about reasons this is all happening.

With respect to inconsistency about transfers, of course we are going to be biased based on being fans of our own teams. Still, the circumstances and what we know matter in terms of how we react... or for the stories we make up to make sense of the world, if you prefer.

In general, the abandoning your teammates charge carries more weight for starters and upperclassmen than for freshmen and sophs who are riding the bench. But other circumstances matter too. I don't know enough about where the guys on the men's team were with their previous programs to judge whether a comparable case can be made about abandoning their teams for Collins or Duane Wilson. The SMU fans probably had a case regarding Jalen Jones abandoning his team, but with Larry Brown as the coach, it's hard to be sympathetic. House's move was after a coaching change, IIRC.

For the women, Lulu was a grad transfer but i imagine UTEP fans understood that she was coming home. Jasmine transferred to be closer to her mom. Aaliyah leaving Arkansas was a pretty clearly dysfunctional coaching situation with Dykes. Ciera was another case that could be rationalized by homesickness the way we rationalized Kelsey Bone (SC fans were upset, though).

None of these is quite like Anriel, IMO. I think I've posted that the closest case i can recall on a national level was Lili Thompson leaving Stanford for Notre Dame. Even the Jessica Shepard case can be thought of in terms of a coaching change when Connie Yori was ousted. The complaints about that one are about ND not having to sit her for a year, not her reasons for leaving Nebraska.

Some of it is just this, of course:
BanderaAg956
Issues and issues and issues but let's be happy!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Rudybryan
Ok I going to put some thoughts into this game. Thinking caps please!!!

If these two students were men in their junior year and leaving school and their team
without a degree...... as in some many programs with the men "one and done"
you all consider that OK.....part of the game BUT since WOMEN don't have the one and done ability because
the pros only take 139 players total so pickins each year is very slim BUT INSTEAD
these women study hard sleep less and bust their ass to take advantage of getting their degree.
Both graduate which is better for our rankings than those who study less, played hard but left school before they walked....NOW who didn't value an Aggie education .......was graduating better or playing ball better for 4 years.
then you look at the future of most wbb players ....very very few turn pro.....so their education means more to them.......I am proud that they graduated within 3 years(that is no small feat) and though I am disappointed and upset that they may choose to leave and play elsewhere their graduate year... I will be grateful for the way they played, their leadership and the time they have given us making basketball fun again. I regret their leaving but do wish them well if they choose too. Remember if they leave they are and always will be Aggies.
sharpdressedman
Something is seriously wrong within the program. The truth will come out. Both players have poisoned their Aggie wells. Too bad for all concerned.
Thymes
Thymes said:

My wife talked to Danni's mom last week. It's not happening unless something startling has happened in a very short time.

Danni has done a yeoman's job in the classroom. She'll graduate in May. That's a 4-year degree in 3 years. A&M has a graduate program in sports management, her major.

I think that as long as schools are willing to host her for official visits, she might as well have some fun.

I think Lashes is gone but Danny stays.

Based on information gathered today, I am backing off of my optimism about Danni staying. This is not merely a lark on her part. She's not taking visits as merely a paid vacation.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
With new AAs = less playing time for Danni and Howard ?
OldAg68
AG
There is no question that Danni and Anriel are free to do whatever they want. They are to be commended for graduating early. That took some dedication and hard work.

We have enjoyed watching them play, especially Anriel with her hustle and enthusiasm.

It will be very disappointing to see either of them leave with their Senior year ahead and the possibility of being part of a very good team.

If their decision is based on issues within the program, be it coaching, other players, etc., then I can accept that.

If they leave their school, coaches and teammates behind to move on to what they consider a bigger opportunity, then I'll be very disappointed in them.

Let's hope that they stick around.

Rudybryan
That's not true.....1 AA Carter already on team.....Johnson should have replaced Hillsman....
Howard and Williams still in and that leaves one spot(Jasmine's) for whoever had won it
Thymes
Based on recent information, I've come to an old conclusion: It's about shots and the renown that comes with making enough of them, and the ignominy that follows failure to do so.

Chennedy is taking shots away from Lashes and Danni. That's taking points away, taking fame away, and perceptively damaging their futures beyond college basketball.

Anriel wants a career in sportscasting, which can be achieved in two ways these days. First, the old fashioned way: starting in small broadcasting markets and working one's way up through a combination of hard work and luck. Second, one can have a start-studded senior year, lead a team to a championship in the right media market, display an effervescent personality as an interviewee, and then sign a rich contract.Tim Tebow didn't start off at KPDK in Podunk.

For Danni the goal and the route are more simple. She wants to play professional basketball. At 5-11 she realizes she may not have the ideal frame for one of those WNBA draft picks, but that's not where the money is. If she scores enough points and makes enough headlines, the right agent might get her an overseas gig, where there are nine-month seasons and yeoman's wages in the women's professional leagues.

Playing in College Station in the shadow of a girl that could become the female Maravich doesn't hold much sway for two smart young women who have each earned four-year degrees in three years. That their best chance at an NCAA tournament title might be right here in Aggieland, playing as seniors in the shadow of three sophomore McDonald's All-Americans, is not their preferred gig.

They don't want to vie for Best Supporting Actress. They're going for their own Oscars, as risky as this path could be.

A National Championship? That would be a great backdrop, but that's not the primary goal.
trackaggie76
AG
This ranks right up there with the Kyle and Kyler debacle!
Bucketrunner
That's just sad. I see disappointment in their future, both in their careers and personally, and I truly hate to see that happen. But we were all young and foolish at some time and did not always make the best decisions.

Onward and upward.
BanderaAg956
Looking st going to teams full of McDonald's All Americans and 5 stars doesn't wash if you want to be a go to player and make a lot of shots!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Thymes
drevans956 said:

Looking st going to teams full of McDonald's All Americans and 5 stars doesn't wash if you want to be a go to player and make a lot of shots!
I think you're saying that Anriel and Danni could get fewer touches at teams like U-Conn, and I agree.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-notebook-1118-story.html
mullokmotx
AG
Anriel scored 26 against Notre Dame and would have had 35 if she had not picked up her second foul with 7 minutes left in the second quarter. Danni only taking 5 shots in that game is an issue, but then in the DePaul game she took 10 shots and made only 1. I think one area where Danni could improve is driving the ball in order to draw fouls because she is such a good free throw shooter.

As far as getting shots, if Danni and Anriel stay here they will start and play 35 minutes a game, and that may not be the case somewhere else where they will have to fit in with players who don't know them.
Wicked Good Ag
Dannis shots were taken away by another player who shots from the outside
Last year Taylor and Danni were our outside threats. This year it was Danni and Carter. What is the difference between Taylor and Chennedy should be the question asked ?
Gap
AG
I thought Chennedy being a bigger threat than we had at PG the previous year allowed Danni to get better looks than she would have otherwise. Some games Danni was on and hit them and others she wasn't. I think her percentages could have been even better this year than they were. But either way having Chennedy on the team got Danni better looks.

Danni's stats. We played 3 less games in 2017-18 than in the prior year.

2017-18:
FG: 183-441 41.5%
3's: 71-184 38.6%

2016-17:
FG: 193-503 38.4%
3's: 63-174 36.2%

Anriel's shooting percentages were up too as Chennedy breaks down a defense and often Anriel finds more room to get an offensive rebound with a defense out of position.

Chennedy is only going to get better as a team player with another year under her belt.

I hope they both stay as they have represented our school well. The grass is not always greener somewhere else.
Wicked Good Ag
I am not anti Carter. I just know her game changes the dynamics of the team and the way they play. What I am saying is that the system that Howard and Williams played in for the first two years was different then the one in their third year and both have the unique opportunity to graduate early. If they don't think the system for next year is going to change or the situation within the program is going to change then for their own reasons they might leave

Carter is a special player on offense. But it is much more isolation based around the third quarter on in a tight game. Defense on the other hand needs to improve and can with her quickness
I don't know anything about team chemistry and don't like to speculate but next year could have been a special year with both of them and an improved Kayla Wells and the two transfers
Thymes
Quote:

If they don't think the system for next year is going to change or the situation within the program is going to change then for their own reasons they might leave.
Gary said at the banquet that next year's offense would be designed to emphasize three-point shooting to a greater degree.
biobioprof
Wicked Good Ag said:

Dannis shots were taken away by another player who shots from the outside
Last year Taylor and Danni were our outside threats. This year it was Danni and Carter. What is the difference between Taylor and Chennedy should be the question asked ?
12thman.com seems to have not fully updated the career stats to include this year's NCAAs, so you have to compare the season stats for this year with the bottom table for previous years.

Danni
2017-18 (36 games)
183-441 FG-FGA .415
71-184 3FG-3FGA .386
74-88 FT-FTA .841
14.2 ppg

2016-17 (34 games)
193-503 FG-FGA .384
63-174 3FG-3FGA .362
114-139 FT-FTA .800
16.6 ppg

If one can attribute the differences to going from Taylor to Carter - which is odd to me, because Taylor didn't start and the bigger difference is Curtyce - Danni took more 3s this past season than in her soph year and made more. Cooper was 41-101 from 3, btw, and Knox was 28-77. Carter was 69-180.

What went down were her shots inside the arc and her FTAs.

Anriel
2017-18 (36 games)
153-347 FG-FGA .441
12-39 3FG-3FGA .308
118-157 FT-FTA .752
12.1 ppg

2016-17 (34 games)
141-340 FG-FGA .415
1-2 3FG-3FGA .500
64-97 FT-FTA .660
10.2 ppg

The team as a whole took more shots.
2017-18 (36 games)
1022-2250 (62.5 FGA/g)

2016-17 (34 games)
844-1974 (58.0 FGA/g)

It would take more detailed stat analysis than I can find, but I suspect that some of Danni's decreased production is related to transition baskets where Carter was more likely to go 1 on 3 and Tyce was more likely to dish. Combine that with Carter becoming the first option when teams collapsed on Khaalia and we got late into the play clock.

But one thing that bugs me about this whole situation is that people both here and even more nationally see this as evidence that Carter is too selfish and doesn't want to share the ball. Yes she is a high volume shooter and there have certainly been games where she's tried to do too much on her own. But she was a freshman last season and despite the focus on her scoring, she had more assists as a freshman than Ty Harris at USCe had in her freshman year - and Harris was all SEC as a PG with a vote from Blair. Maybe this is a concern for Danni and Anriel. But it's striking to me how much Anriel has gone out of her way to tweet congrats every time Carter won a Freshman of the year award. Danni hasn't done that as much, but she did tweet that Carter was the "best pg in the country" at the beginning of Feb.

edit to add: this was in my browser for about a couple of hours before I hit save. I see Gap beat me to a lot of what I just posted.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
We come within 6 points of the National Champions - two players don't think this is good enough so they decide to possibly leave ! Even with two great new prospects joining the team !

My opinion for what it is worth is that next year 1: We will be good to great with either or both Howard and Williams !

2: We will be good to great without either or both !

Are both afraid the new prospects will cut into their minutes and subsequent production ?
rc_cat
I assume there was a similar memo allowing other schools to talk to Danni and it wasn't leaked like Anriel's was? Or, is she tagging along with Anriel and not officially being talked to?
Rudybryan
Are we sure Williams is graduating....in May....if not she would have to sit out a year
Wicked Good Ag
I was only talking three point shooting not point guard play. Carter took at many threes as one of the three point specialists and the point guard from last year and looks to be at an identical clip

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.