Texas Tech hires Minnesota's Marlene Stollings as new coach

Texas Tech has hired Marlene Stollings as its new head women's basketball coach, the school announced Monday.

Stollings comes to Texas Tech after guiding Minnesota to three 20-win seasons and postseason berths in four seasons as the school's head coach. Stollings was 82-47 overall at Minnesota, which reached the second round of the NCAA tournament this season.

"We're extremely excited to welcome Coach Stollings to the Texas Tech Athletic Family," Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt said in a statement. "As a head coach, she has experienced tremendous success and has a proven process to return our Lady Raider program back to great heights."

Texas Tech fired coach Candi Whitaker in January after only 13 games. She was 54-82 overall at the school, including 6-7 this season. Shimmy Gray-Miller took over as interim coach, and Texas Tech finished 7-23.
"Texas Tech has a storied tradition of success and I am eager to return this program to national prominence. We will play a fun, up-tempo style of basketball that student-athletes will enjoy and the fans will find exciting to watch. This is a thrilling day for me and my family, and I cannot wait to coach and recruit 'Fearless Champions,'" Stollings said in the statement.