WBB Championship: Notre Dame vs Miss State

5,998 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't foul on the catch.
94chem
These announcers. How they can say virtually nothing about the blown call is beyond me. That foul was Sloan-esque.
94chem
Ogumbowale probably gets the same look even if they foul.
BanderaAg956
Should have take the foul on the dribble 1-2 seconds in, before a shot!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Scar Tissue
AG
I can't believe MSU didn't foul.
Gap
AG
Mississippi St. collapsed and blew a game for the national championship. That really sucks for Vic, but they should have had that game wrapped up. They blew a 15 point 2nd half lead (5 point lead at 1:40 to go). McCowan missed an uncontested 1 footer for the lead with 30 seconds left and then fouled at half court with 3 seconds left to stop the clock and setup the Notre Dame game winner. William could have drove into the Notre Dame defender and drawn a foul after the steal with 7 seconds left as the Notre Dame defender was out of position but instead passed the ball and had it deflected. That would have put William at the FT line.

These chances don't come around very often. Vic's best opportunities without Gary Blair may have passed. He loses 4 senior starters including Vivians. Vic is a great coach, but he may never get a NC outside of as Blair's assistant.
94chem
Scar Tissue said:

I can't believe MSU didn't foul.

Charlotte Smith won it on an open 3 with 0.7 seconds to go in '94 (look it up). Even with a foul, there's still probably 2+ seconds left. Seriously, fouling wouldn't have made a more difficult shot. You can second guess the strategy, but the result had little to do with said strategy. Just a great play, facilitated by a call - that had it occurred in the men's game - would be talked about for days.
sharpdressedman
Gap said:

Mississippi St. collapsed and blew a game for the national championship. That really sucks for Vic, but they should have had that game wrapped up. They blew a 15 point 2nd half lead (5 point lead at 1:40 to go). McCowan missed an uncontested 1 footer for the lead with 30 seconds left and then fouled at half court with 3 seconds left to stop the clock and setup the Notre Dame game winner. William could have drove into the Notre Dame defender and drawn a foul after the steal with 7 seconds left as the Notre Dame defender was out of position but instead passed the ball and had it deflected. That would have put William at the FT line.

These chances don't come around very often. Vic's best opportunities without Gary Blair may have passed. He loses 4 senior starters including Vivians. Vic is a great coach, but he may never get a NC outside of as Blair's assistant.
Completely agree. I feel very sad for Vic and the team. One of the risks of playing a championship game on a national stage is a gut-wrenching loss that haunts you for life. We just saw that happen to MSU.
mullokmotx
AG
Looks like Notre Dame loses Nelson and Westbeld off this team and gets the 4 injured players back. I thought when Young and Ogunbowale missed 10 foot jumpers in the 4th quarter and Johnson hit the 3 it was over. But as we saw in Spokane, Notre Dame can score. We blew a 13 point lead in the second quarter but our excuse was Anriel was on the bench in foul trouble when that happened.
Gap
AG
Fouling would have taken some of time off the clock. They could have fouled at 2 seconds left and it not have been a shooting foul. I think she got the shot off at 1.6. However, I think that was a shot from a spot Mississippi St. would have wanted. However, it was not the player they wanted shooting it. So, fouling / not fouling can be argued either way.
biobioprof
I just backed up the Tivo and rewatched it and I'm afraid the non-call on Mabrey is correct. The view on the replays from the end line makes it look like a tackle, but in the side view it looks like a clean pick with William falling down as she tries to recover the ball.
sharpdressedman
biobioprof said:

I just backed up the Tivo and rewatched it and I'm afraid the non-call on Mabrey is correct. The view on the replays from the end line makes it look like a tackle, but in the side view it looks like a clean pick with William falling down as she tries to recover the ball.
Thanks for sharing. I didn't see it, and your viewpoint assuages my disappointment.
schmendeler
AG
biobioprof said:

Yeah she was rushing instead of taking time to assess the situation.
BQ92
AG
It sure looked like their shoulders collided
mullokmotx
AG
MSU missed 7 of 17 free throws. The 2 teams combined made 6 3 pointers: Mabrey made 7 against us.
94chem
Both ND 3's came in the final 1:30. The missed layup really was the play of the game. She hits that, then the steal almost puts it away. Interesting to get different angle on the ND steal. We shouldn't have to do forensics to tell what happened... don't they have some paid people for that?
hsvag
The second half was some ugly basketball, but ND's big game experience was just enough to pull it out. They played hack a Shaq on McCowan since she couldn't hit foul shots and everyone else went cold. MSU's half court offense in the second half looked suspiciously like Blair's old offense i.e. pass the ball around the perimeter until there's 5 seconds on the shot clock.ND's looked suspiciously like Blair's new offence, i.e. tell Chennedy to win it. Arike did that well, including the desperation shot at the buzzer.
aggieFann
I know there are no moral victories but we lost by single digits to the eventual national champion.
biobioprof
BQ92 said:

It sure looked like their shoulders collided
I'm sure we'll get Zapruder film level frame by frame analysis from the Miss State and ND sites.

I watched it a couple of times and then my DVR got past the limit for backing up live broadcasts.
mazzag
AG
Gap said:

Are you kidding me? Vic without Blair? WTH has Blair done since he lost Vic? He coaches at Mississippi state and A&M's only championship was when he was here. Haven't sniffed one since, much less played 2 back to back and IIRC, Vic has kicked our asses in conference play. Time for Blair to retire and bring Vic home.
94chem
I could not understand why MSU didn't go early to the post. But then when I saw McGowan try to pass it back out, I understood why. Still McGowan shooting from 4 feet on every possession would've probably won the game.
Gap
AG
mazzag said:

Gap said:

Are you kidding me? Vic without Blair? WTH has Blair done since he lost Vic? He coaches at Mississippi state and A&M's only championship was when he was here. Haven't sniffed one since, much less played 2 back to back and IIRC, Vic has kicked our asses in conference play. Time for Blair to retire and bring Vic home.
Who brings a better team into 2018-19? My money is on Blair and the Aggies.
mazzag
AG
History shows Vic will, there's more to it than just players. We'll get bounced outta the tourney early. He'll go to the E8 with an overhauled team. I'm excited about Chennedy but one player can't salvage a career.
sharpdressedman
Gap said:

mazzag said:

Gap said:

Who brings a better team into 2018-19? My money is on Blair and the Aggies.
Seems like a low-risk bet considering the comparative experience and accomplishment on both rosters next year.
BanderaAg956
94chem said:

I could not understand why MSU didn't go early to the post. But then when I saw McGowan try to pass it back out, I understood why. Still McGowan shooting from 4 feet on every possession would've probably won the game.

I was disappointed at how many of those four (4) footers McCowan missed. Had she made 50% from that range they win easily!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
BanderaAg956
mazzag said:

History shows Vic will, there's more to it than just players. We'll get bounced outta the tourney early. He'll go to the E8 with an overhauled team. I'm excited about Chennedy but one player can't salvage a career.

The recent success Vic has generated will allow him to continue to recruit well to replace his 3 seniors (Vivian's is a great scorer who is tougher to replace but McCowan is becoming dominant)!

Get good guard okay and play defense, MSU will be good again.

If A&M coached the bench better I might be more confident. I have no idea how Johnson and Wilson will mesh with this team and how will they handle he grind. Carter had her own struggles this year. Plus, Williams struggled to be a scorer down the stretch (not taking many shots in some games and missing a lot of shots in others). If Wilson is as good as advertised she might take Williams spot.

All in all, it's not developing the bench that scares me the most. Not many teams have enough talent to pull off what ND did with seven (7) scholarship players.

mullokmotx
AG
After being up 40-24 with 6 minutes to go in the third, in the rest of the quarter MSU made 1 free throw, missed 5, and missed 7 field goal tries.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Vivians disappeared the second half and did poorly on that last shot !

Why didn't MSU put a tall player against the throw in - Blair first went up but backed off and helped against a player already covered and away from the basket leaving no one to bother the throw in !

Did anybody Not know who was going to take the last shot ????????????????????????
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.