Can we stop with the "UConn is bad for the game" comments now?

2,082 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BQ92
Hand Of God
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Because the exact opposite is true.

In previous years, UConn winning was a forgone conclusion. But the Huskies have now been unseated twice in a row.

UConn has forced other teams to step to another level. As a result, you end up with two outstanding semifinal games like we saw tonight. Four teams who actually believed they could win it all.

The Husky dominance made everyone else improve. The game is better as a result.
BQ92
AG
no
94chem
No. Turned game on with 3 min to go when I saw it was close. Otherwise not interested.
biobioprof
94chem said:

No. Turned game on with 3 min to go when I saw it was close. Otherwise not interested.
I'm guessing you wouldn't have even done that if it was close between ND and Louisville.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
I don't like the lack of upsets in general. It's not just UConn.
94chem
biobioprof said:

94chem said:

I'm guessing you wouldn't have even done that if it was close between ND and Louisville.

Why are you talking about ND and Louisville?
94chem
Watching right now because UConn isn't playing. Otherwise, would just check in about 90 min to see if it was close.
jmcfar_98
AG
Only watched it because UConn wasn't playing in it. UConn is bad for women's basketball.
Hand Of God
AG
Mississippi State has now made it farther than UConn the last two years. Are they too dominant? Bad for the game?
Hand Of God
AG
Quote:

From Final Four teleconferences, Louisville's Jeff Walz on UConn: "If anybody thinks they're bad for the game, stop watching the game. ... If you can't appreciate it, please, don't even cover it."
94chem
Hand Of God said:

Quote:

From Final Four teleconferences, Louisville's Jeff Walz on UConn: "If anybody thinks they're bad for the game, stop watching the game. ... If you can't appreciate it, please, don't even cover it."

Advice taken. Once they were eliminated, I paid more attention. I can see where these coaches would stand up for UConn, though. Without Conradt, Summit, Hatchell, Geno...they wouldn't be paid princely sums to coach a game that is unathletic, boring, and pre-determined 80% of the time. Granted that number is growing smaller; the problem is that UConn's dominance has disguised the growing parity and entertainment value of the game.

Bill Walton must have some thoughts, because UCLA was in this position 45 years ago. And remember, the modern men's game began in 1979, after Wooden retired.

Sure, UConn hasn't won it all for 2 years in a row...in which they've lost a total of 2 games. Might as well watch the Globetrotters most of the time.
biobioprof
This is from last week, but I think it's still a good read. OU coach Sherri Coale:

http://newsok.com/article/5589292
Quote:

As Connecticut went on their streak and that conversation seemed to be at every coffee shop and every talk radio in the world, my staunch stance was 'No.' Because Joe Smith who has no relation to women's basketball and no desire to every watch women's basketball is going to pay attention to this because it's a streak that's unheard of. So you get all of these, our sport gets a window, an opening into a world of people who otherwise would not even hear a conversation about it. There's just enough 'Oh, let me see what's going on here' And then what we do with that moment when they say, 'Let me see what's going on here' is up to us.

"But they gave us an opening as a sport. And I still think excellence is magnetic. I don't buy the argument that it's bad for the game. Watch them play. They play in a better, more efficient than a number of the best men's teams in the country. Excellence is hard not to watch. We're all drawn to it. Whether it's a great singer on American Idol, or a great movie, great actors. You're drawn to great stuff. Excellence is a magnet, so I don't think it's bad for women's basketball."
Quote:

"For women's basketball, I think it's a mistake to try to be like the men. I think there have been times in the evolution of our game where we have tilted toward that. We have tried to be men's basketball. We will never be men's basketball. I don't care how many players are able to dunk, it's not going to be the same. And I think it's a mistake for us to try be in their image. The game as it was created for men, however long ago (James) Naismith put the peach basket up, it's about spacing and movement and passing and this very artistic, intelligent game, skilled game, played below the rim. And women can do that in a beautiful way. Connecticut is a perfect example of that.

BQ92
AG

I used to be an avid NASCAR fan. What spoiled it for me was Jimmy Johnson's dominance. It got old when a team you didn't like won week after week. UConn is similiar
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.