Seven McD's AAs from Texas

3,909 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by sim111
Method Man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
And zero going to A&M.
Gap
AG
What new players do we have coming in next year besides the transfer already on campus from Arkansas and Louisville?
biobioprof
Hard to sign McDonalds AAs or players below that when the incoming class has no freshman recruits at all.

Our recruiting has really been feast or famine for quite a while.
biobioprof
http://usatodayhss.com/2018/mcdonalds-all-american-game-girls-rosters

24 total
4 to Baylor
3 Tennessee
2 UConn, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Texas, Notre Dame
1 Stanford, Maryland, Syracuse, Arizona, Oklahoma, Cal, S. Carolina.

edit: corrected list.
Thymes
Gap said:

What new players do we have coming in next year besides the transfer(s) already on campus from Arkansas and Louisville?
Aren't those two redshirts 5-star McDonald's All-Americans? As I see it, we have two of those types joining the active roster and each has three years of eligibility left.
biobioprof
Thymes said:

Gap said:

What new players do we have coming in next year besides the transfer(s) already on campus from Arkansas and Louisville?
Aren't those two redshirts 5-star McDonald's All-Americans? As I see it, we have two of those types joining the active roster and each has three years of eligibility left.
Yes, Wilson and Johnson were both McDonalds AAs. And with a year of practice in our system and the prior year of P5 experience at their original schools they should be better prepared than an incoming freshman. 3 years of eligibility means - assuming they use them all - they would be in their last year the same time as this year's freshmen, which still has a lot of players who should be contributors if they stay.

I think we have a good shot at having a great run while Carter is here. But we will see how next year's recruiting goes in terms of what comes after.

Last year, Brende vanLengen (sp?) said that other schools were doing negative recruiting against us based on the idea that Blair would retire after the 2015-16 season. I imagine that's already happening with the idea that he won't stay after Carter. And at some point, of course, it will be true.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Method Man said:

And zero going to A&M.
See bio's post about two we ALREADY have !
Thymes
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas said:

Method Man said:

And zero going to A&M.
Next season we'll probably have three McDonald's All-Americans in the starting lineup:

Chennedy Carter

Ciera Johnson

Aaliyah Wilson

. . . all of whom will be sophomores.

In addition, we'll have 5-star Danni Williams, a senior.

Then there's Kayla Wells, a 4-star sophomore.

Not all McDonald's All-Americans want to end up on one team, you know? They like PT.

I'm scratching my head about the negativity directed toward Blair's recruiting.

biobioprof
Thymes said:

I love the girls on our roster but I think many of us would like to see A&M recruiting be more like the teams that are above us in terms of frequency of deep runs in the NCAAs. That would mean a couple of top recruits every year instead of them being in cohorts who will graduate at the same time.

Especially when we see how recruiting has been going at tu and Baylor.

I did notice that Miss State didn't land any McDonald's AAs either.
Thymes
Anriel Howard was a 3-star.

Nevertheless, it's good that you noted that Vic, who so many people think is the answer, didn't recruit any McD AA's this year.

Rudybryan
Vic loses Vivians, William and Schaefer that is a big loss.
aggieFann
Thymes said:

Anriel Howard was a 3-star.

Nevertheless, it's good that you noted that Vic, who so many people think is the answer, didn't recruit any McD AA's this year.

I heard Vic state that sometimes it's not about necessarily getting a high recruit but getting the "right" type of recruit to fit your system. He wants recruits to come in and buy into his top-defensive scheme approach and not a lot of top recruits really play that great of defense in my opinion. Top recruits are mainly known for their scoring abilities. But yes, it still would be nice to gain at least one top recruit a year. Also, good point about Anriel being a 3-star recruit. Again, it really just depends on what you see in the player and how they fit into your system because she came in and got playing time right away because of her energy and rebounding. But at first, she was not the best offensive option on the floor which is probably why she wasn't a high recruit.
Rudybryan
Well, all of you pay attention

UConn-bound Olivia Nelson-Ododa dunks her way to the final at the Powerade Jam Fest

Olivia Nelson-Ododa dribbled, skied and dunked. The UConn recruit smiled -- it was nothing new -- before getting mobbed by her fellow players Monday night in Atlanta at the Powerade Jam Fest.

Nelson-Ododa scored 100 points -- nothing but 10s from the judges -- to lead the field of eight, seven of them boys, after the first round of the dunk contest.

The 6-foot-4 McDonald's All American moved to the baseline for her second attempt, and threw down another and was awarded an 88.

more...................
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/22922430/uconn-huskies-recruit-olivia-nelson-ododa-dunks-way-final-powerade-jam-fest?addata=espnw:womenbb:index
Tzone
#9 ranked 2017 recruiting class is basically adding 2 MCAAs plus 2 redshirts in Jackson and Williams. The only hole in the roster is in backup point guard was addressed via the JUCO route. 2019 will see additional recruits for the center and forward spots.
biobioprof
Tzone1906 said:

#9 ranked 2017 recruiting class is basically adding 2 MCAAs plus 2 redshirts in Jackson and Williams. The only hope in the roster is in backup point guard was addressed via the JUCO route. 2019 will see additional recruits for the center and forward spots.
Did I miss a new JUCO PG?
Gap
AG
I hope the McDonald's AA transfers are unbelievably good, but it is important to point out that they averaged 4.8 points and 4.0 points respectively in the freshman year at their original schools. We tend to get ahead of ourselves with expectations. If they had averaged 15 points per game, would they have left Arkansas and Louisville after that one year?
Tzone
http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/womens_basketball/junior-college-point-guard-commits-to-sign-with-aggie-women/article_8a8b8332-1748-55c7-a310-8bf0786121fd.html
aggieFann
From what I read about the JuCo player is that she likes to push the ball and actually likes playing defense
JR69
AG
Gap said:

I hope the McDonald's AA transfers are unbelievably good, but it is important to point out that they averaged 4.8 points and 4.0 points respectively in the freshman year at their original schools. We tend to get ahead of ourselves with expectations. If they had averaged 15 points per game, would they have left Arkansas and Louisville after that one year?

Karla Gilbert averaged 4.2 points and 2.9 rebounds per game her freshman season. Sometimes those low numbers are a result of limited playing time.
biobioprof
Tzone1906 said:

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/womens_basketball/junior-college-point-guard-commits-to-sign-with-aggie-women/article_8a8b8332-1748-55c7-a310-8bf0786121fd.html
Wow. Totally missed that.
box65
AG
Thymes said:

Method Man said:

And zero going to A&M.
Next season we'll probably have three McDonald's All-Americans in the starting lineup:

Chennedy Carter

Ciera Johnson

Aaliyah Wilson

Not all McDonald's All-Americans want to end up on one team, you know? They like PT.

And then there is Anriel Howard and I wouldn't trade her for any of those McD AA's
Wicked Good Ag
box65 said:

Thymes said:

Method Man said:

And zero going to A&M.

Chennedy Carter

Ciera Johnson

Aaliyah Wilson

And then there is Anriel Howard and I wouldn't trade her for any of those McD AA's

Umm don't count on that
HiddenAg2
Blair's high school recruiting has dropped off dramatically. There is no debate on that point. What he has done a good job of is getting transfers who were once highly ranked prospects or top JUCO kids that want to play at a major school. That has kept the program competitive at the 2nd Round/Sweet 16 level. Long term, however, he does need to start winning some battles for top in-state talent in the high school ranks.
Thymes
HiddenAg2 said:

Blair's high school recruiting has dropped off dramatically. There is no debate on that point. What he has done a good job of is getting transfers who were once highly ranked prospects or top JUCO kids that want to play at a major school. That has kept the program competitive at the 2nd Round/Sweet 16 level. Long term, however, he does need to start winning some battles for top in-state talent in the high school ranks.
The consensus national freshman of the year might debate that point.
biobioprof
Thymes said:

HiddenAg2 said:

The consensus national freshman of the year might debate that point.
There's also a former player whose number is hanging from the rafters at Reed, who might point out that JUCOs coming isn't a new thing.
sim111
S
Hey everyone, remember me? I haven't posted in a while, in fact I forgot my password and hit resend password to email but it never came but guess why, I had started my Tex Ags account years ago when I was whining about separating the board from the men's, now you remember and I used an AOL email address that's no longer in use, thanks Anna Beth Beth for getting me going again
I know many times people overlook and forget things, I'm definitely one of those but most of these awards are political and at the end of the day "it's not what you do, it's who you do it against" so with that being said, during the time my daughter played they never lost to Texas who was overloaded with MDAA, remember and she and Danielle, now in WNBA, were not on the team, mine wasn't because I wouldn't let her play for a Nike or Adidas team and cursed their leaders out publicly, not sure why Adams wasn't but they did get a National Championship right?
As I go deeper into my AARP years, that fire continues to burn in me about BS in the sport and trust me, it's political, Mississippi State has gone to B2B championships with how many? It doesn't matter, the Aggie team finished well and definitely was exciting to watch the times that I caught them so all I can say is "Trust The Process" support your coaching staff and team and I'm not a paid political spokesman, my baby is gone yet will always be an AGGIE so GIG EM and I won't forget my password again
Gap
AG
Welcome back Simmie. Glad to hear your take on the matter.
biobioprof
Good to hear from you, Simmie. It was great to see you at Reed last year. Your daughter's bobblehead is next to Danielle's in our living room!
sim111
S
Gap

Glad to be back, no matter how much you have it has to mesh, I think Texas had double digit MDAA's or close to it the past 4 years yet they had some draws and didn't make a Final 4 so sometimes none of that matters. Was Lashes highly recruited? I don't think so and she's a BEAST so again politics definitely play a role
sim111
S
biobioprof said:

Good to hear from you, Simmie. It was great to see you at Reed last year. Your daughter's bobblehead is next to Danielle's in our living room!
Great to see you as well and that's awesome
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.