How Far We Have Fallen

2,837 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Thymes
dchack1971
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will we ever get it back ? We
BanderaAg956
Sadly, not without a coaching change. Gary just won't develop his bench and he is being out recruited by tu, bu, MSU, UT, and SC. LSU, GA, and. MU are all rising programs.

I wish I was wrong but once we lost Vic we were never able to take advance of winning a NC!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Bucketrunner
I don't have the answer. Wish I did. What I do know is that we play pretty uninspired ball, and it's not getting any better.
Rudybryan
I am starting to wonder about the kids today and their entitlement attitudes. Look how many transfers across the boards. Good programs are going up and down based on the kids. SC has dropped....Tn has dropped...Mo is picking off the top just like LSU ... so many teams are built around one or two people ...if they don't show up the team is sunk.
trackaggie76
AG
We can't expect to ever win against an SEC opponent with Williams and Hillsman scoring a combined 5 points.
Houstonag
AG
Blair is actually worse than Kennedy. He knows better and is coasting. Hard headed as any coach I have seen. He just expects us to accept what he does and too bad if we do not like it.

I am fed up with coaches who just hang around and have lost the fire. He does not care.
biobioprof
Houstonag said:

Blair is actually worse than Kennedy. He knows better and is coasting. Hard headed as any coach I have seen. He just expects us to accept what he does and too bad if we do not like it.

I am fed up with coaches who just hang around and have lost the fire. He does not care.
Post this over on the MBB board and let us know how that goes.
Aggie1205
AG
Houstonag said:

Please provide anything to support this. Anything at all.
Thymes
I guarantee you that Coach Blair cares.
BQ92
AG
Houstonag said:

WOW!!! Twenty wins each year. Am I satisfied? Hell no! but get out here with comparing him to Kennedy.
Thymes
BQ92 said:

Houstonag said:

WOW!!! Twenty wins each year. Am I satisfied? Hell no! but get out here with comparing him to Kennedy.
I also note that Blair's team hasn't missed the Big Dance since 2005.
Houstonag
AG
The lack of understanding of some is incredible. Just continue to accept mediocrity. All coaches have a duty to perform at the highest level. The women's program does not compete. It is all about management, recruiting, and coaching. Is 20 wins your standard? Going to the dance? Wow. Sure, just show up and smile.
grl38
AG
We invest millions to our athletic programs and the best return is field and track. Thanks goes to the coach we hired from LSU.
Football and basketball is a bottom less pit. Baseball ......I cannot totaling complain.
Wicked Good Ag
Houstonag said:

The lack of understanding of some is incredible. Just continue to accept mediocrity. All coaches have a duty to perform at the highest level. The women's program does not compete. It is all about management, recruiting, and coaching. Is 20 wins your standard? Going to the dance? Wow. Sure, just show up and smile.

A top 25 program is mediocrity? Wow some people are never satisfied
I would love a deeper bench but my god

What is needed is a defensive guy who has fire and doesn't accept average defense and then Carter would be even more deadly with fast break. The defense since Vic and the players under Vic originally had gone downhill. Not an indictment of current coach but how good at What he did was Vic. Hence the fact MSU is a power
Aggie1205
AG
Houstonag said:

By what standard does the women's team not compete? And how do you personally define mediocrity?
Houstonag
AG
Real simple. The record, the performance, no growth, no development. Not my standard with what we have invested and what we pay.

If a TAMU coach cannot compete consistently in the top 10 in all major sports then they need to go. In fact my standards align with the track program. Is it not amazing that except for baseball and track the TAMU performance is not very good in the major sports.
trackaggie76
AG
I think GB is one of the top 10 coaches in WBB. The issue IMO is whether we want to be a top 25 team or a top 10 team and what it takes to get there. Yesterday I watched the Baylor/tu and Oregon/UCLA games. Both with full arenas! I hope we can get to that next level, and stay there--but I unconditionally support the team and the coaches regardless.
NM12thmanfan
The sky isn't falling. This team is good. They just aren't great. They have as much talent as just about any team in the conference. they just aren't playing like it. Right now you have 4 kids trying to play within the system and one that plays free for all basketball. 43% of the time it works. Its a lack of team concepts. Being where you are supposed to be when you are supposed to be there. It leaves the other 4 flapping in the wind looking like they don't what they are doing. Those 4 are all veteran players that have won a bunch of games in their careers.

That one can put up a highlight reel for sure but, that doesn't hang banners. Daniel Adams was a hell of a player but, her teams played excellent team basketball. It was clear she was the "Alpha" but, her teams played together. I would challenge anyone to go back and watch some of the game films and see how many offensive possessions only 1 person touches the ball. Way too much dribbling and not enough passing and cutting. Has anyone watched UConn, Louisville, Oregon, etc.? Sure they play good defense but they play exceptional offense. They have movement, they reverse the ball, they skip pass. More than one person moving at a time. We do none of that! The ball is sticky and stagnate! With the fact that Blair hangs his hat on being an offensive guru it is unexplainable that he allows this. To be honest it is painful to watch this team play offense and is probably why this team looks uninspired at times.

Can they get better? This late in the season I am skeptical. I think the story is already written. Will it change next year. I see nothing that would leave me to believe it will. We lose Khaalia, Jazz, and Lu Lu. We add Johnson and Wilson. Certainly there is potential but, you still have to play team ball. 20 maybe 10 years ago 1 exceptional player (i.e Sheryl Swoopes) could win you a NC. Not in today's game. There are many more talented players and teams. Name the last player to single handedly win a NC?

I hope Blair and his staff figure it out. This late in the season I don't know that that leopard is going to change it spots.
Rongagin71
AG
I have the opinion that Blair tried for team play, but at some point decided it wasn't going to be that great a team and he better take what he could get.
Houstonag
AG
Team play, team work, game plan, adjustments, ....... It all gets back to coaching and strategy.

If the coach has a reputation of not getting the job done then guess what. He cannot recruit on a national scale. Just look at what Vic did at Miss. State. He built a reputation and the ladies signed up and became believers.

Also look at Memphis with the men. When Calipari left what happened? Memphis has not been heard of since. Coaching matters.
DogCompany74
AG
Blair made a huge change in his philosophy by starting Carter as a freshman. I've seen some progress in Carter sharing the ball more but it has led to increased turnovers. Unless Danni Williams is" on" we have limited scoring potential. Defense is not as tenacious as in the past .

Gary has earned the right to continue to build the program after the 2011 NC , but I think we are at the point where he may not be able to keep up. I don't think Vic is going to leave MSU anytime soon and I believe that was GBs Succession Plan. Unless Vic is ready to move in the next two years I think Gary will be here for at least 4 more.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
NM12thmanfan
Rongagin71,,,, your opinion may very well be what has happened, and if so, it is very concerning. What does that do to the long term success of your program? If true, I think we will see the trickle down of that very soon.

Dogcompany 74,,,, I don't disagree with you either. My concern is that we have seen several games that Williams is not involved in the offense at all in the first half. I think she took 2 shots in the first half against Miss St. I think she only took 4 the entire game against Tenn. I am not sure why that is or whose fault it is... maybe it is hers. Although watching the Miss St game my wife made a comment that Danni Williams is probably getting to know Vic petty well while she stand over on his side. :-) To me, it goes back to the basics of getting all your pieces in motion. It's just not happening. That is what makes great coaches and great teams. I know Blair knows how to do this. He is a fantastic coach but, for what ever reason it is not happening for this team this season. Maybe there is a short cut that I am not aware of.
biobioprof
Houstonag said:

Team play, team work, game plan, adjustments, ....... It all gets back to coaching and strategy.

If the coach has a reputation of not getting the job done then guess what. He cannot recruit on a national scale. Just look at what Vic did at Miss. State. He built a reputation and the ladies signed up and became believers.

Also look at Memphis with the men. When Calipari left what happened? Memphis has not been heard of since. Coaching matters.
Every post you make is like peeling back the layers of an onion to reveal increasing levels of ignorance about WBB (and MBB for that matter).

Vic's building up of MSU is a lot like how Blair built the program here. Not surprising given that he took one of Blair's top recruiters with him. Miss State isn't a national recruiting power yet. Vic's biggest recruiting breakthrough was getting Vivians to stay in-state. Some have compared it to Staley getting A'ja Wilson to stay in SC. The other top tier recruit is McCowan, whose recruiting saga was messy. Although their games are very different, McCowan is kind of like Adams in that she's someone who is a huge difference maker who the top schools failed to recruit.

The rest of the building process has been in getting 3 star or lower players to overachieve. That includes Morgan WIlliam and Blair Schaefer, and a bunch of the recent grads like Dominique Dillingham, Breanna Richardson, and Ketara Chapel. Those speak to excellent coaching and player development but it's not evidence for exceptional recruiting.

The Memphis analogy is terrible on many levels. Calipari left Memphis under NCAA scrutiny. Despite the mess left behind, Josh Pastner did well enough despite that - better than BK here - to get poached by Georgia Tech. Memphis was also in a bad conference and moved to conference that might have been even worse after Calipari.
DogCompany74
AG
Gary is on the horns of a dilemma in that he has a 5 star guard and he doesn't know how to best utilize her so she can get the rest of team involved. They tend to stand around and wait for her to create scoring opportunities. Earlier in the year he started McKinney to see if pulling Carter off the bench and into the game flow would generate more look first shoot second tempo . Mixed bag.

I'm in hopes that as she gains confidence in Her team mates she won't feel the need to do everything.
Houstonag
AG
We have different views. Management is the key. Just like in business. A coach cannot just get by year to year at TAMU. It is a fortune 50 company or higher. If earnings, growth, and market share are not competitive then the CEO gets fired. Our stock has under performed for years and it will not get any better with Blair. He just does not have it with his style and philosophy.
biobioprof
Houstonag said:

We have different views. Management is the key. Just like in business. A coach cannot just get by year to year at TAMU. It is a fortune 50 company or higher. If earnings, growth, and market share are not competitive then the CEO gets fired. Our stock has under performed for years and it will not get any better with Blair. He just does not have it with his style and philosophy.
Nothing wrong with having different views. I just happen to think yours suck and I'm sure you reciprocate the feeling about mine.

Personally, I hate the "run things like a business" talk. Not because I'm opposed to running things in a businesslike way, but because people who trot that kind of line out usually brush under the rug the diversity of ways that successful businesses are run. Apple is one of the top 10 (Full disclosure: it's the top performer in my personal portfolio). What works at Apple is probably not be a good fit for GM or Berkshire Hathaway. Their worst period of Apple's corporate history was when they were led by a guy they brought in from PepsiCo, and their resurgence happened when they brought back Steve Jobs.

So, I would argue that any board who fires the CEO strictly on the criteria you listed is one whose stock I would avoid investing in. My stock picking may not be a role model, but from what I've read about Warren Buffet, his choices are informed by much more context as well.

But here's the thing: Most of what you wrote is just the usual cliches that many write. What got the big reaction in this thread was when you wrote this:
Quote:

Blair is actually worse than Kennedy
You still haven't backed down from that one OR justified it. In your business analogy, you're saying you would prefer an even more underperforming CEO to an underperforming CEO. Please let the rest of us know which companies you're on the board for so we can sell short.
BanderaAg956
Sad to see two Texas schools recruiting ladies to basketball and coaching them up to Top 10 levels when Blair's teams struggle to get into or stay in the top 25!
Liberals are Damn Liars! Terminate Section 230! It has been ONLY 72!hours since my last banning for defending my conservative values against liberal snowflake cupcakes and the LIBERAL Mod’s that protect them! Fairness is a myth! Stop trying to silence us! Decent LAW ABIDING HUMAN BEINGS MATTER and so do our voices. When you protect the wicked, the Anarchist, the deviant, you become One of them!

ALL LIVES MATTER - I support police and motorcycle riders. Patriot Gun Owners Unite!
Houstonag
AG
My business analogy is correct. It applies to college and professional sports. The Houston Astros is a case where proper management processes led to a championship. After years of poor management from the previous owners and managers.

I expect that Fisher will apply the right processes to help us compete better in football. I have lost confidence in Blair. Just stating the facts. The trend and actual performance are my facts. He will never win an SEC championship much less another NC.

Now if you want to talk about stocks and well run companies. I can give hundreds of case studies about management failures that ran companies into the ground. Likewise I can provide case studies where solid management practices led to success. The key difference is failure to adapt and innovate.

My portfolio is doing fine, by the way. Ask the 12 Man Foundation.
biobioprof
The problem with the business analogy isn't that its wrong. The problem is that it's tautological, which makes it useless.

You may not have noticed that I have never predicted in this thread or any other that Blair would bring us an SEC title or another NC. I wouldn't make that prediction for Jimbo either. Not all coaches or programs are equal, but the number who know what they are doing is large enough to make it hard to get to the top and harder to stay there. That's what makes Saban and Geno so remarkable.

What I have posted is
  • I don't think Vic will ever come back
  • Pushing GB out before he wants to leave would make the already low chance of bringing Vic back even lower.

Point 2, IMO, probably applies to other established coaches as possible replacements. And I don't see any D1 school money whipping a WBB coach like we did for Jimbo.

Still waiting for you to defend your BK vs GB comparison. I noticed you over on the MBB board. Tonight would be a great time to post it over there, don't you think?
Houstonag
AG
You just confirmed my logic about the relationship between solid coaching and business leadership. They are founded in the same principles. Never be afraid to take a stand and lead. True leadership is rare but we should always strive for high expectations from our sport teams as well as those in business. The academic world has fallen short. I do believe that TAMU has done a good job overall when you consider the achievement of its graduates. I just want all coaches to strive for the same standards. They all have a duty and obligation to to achieve at high levels.

In regard to your question about BK vs GB. The answer is obvious. You know. I am no defender of BK. GB can do better but it does not happen and the trend over the past several years is the reason for my position.
Rudybryan
You talk about Gary and Vic..........BUT noone mentions the one person that have taken both of them
on their trip to success.......

Johnnie Harris

She is a top notch recruiter she brought us Danielle Adams, T smith etc

McCown was her catch and everyone was AFTER her

As it takes a team and the floor it also takes a team in coaching.....

as for defense they have been coached it is called execution....that is lacking
DogCompany74
AG
There is no comparison between Gary Blair and Billy Kennedy .

1) GB is a skilled game day tactician, constantly coaching from the sideline and making in game adjustments depending upon what the opposition is doing.
2) His success has given him well earned respect for knowing what to do to win.
3) Players under Blair get better and develop.
4) Gary is active in the community and is constantly selling his program. He loves his team, and his community.
NM12thmanfan
I believe last year at this time we were 20-8. This year 20-8. No better and no worse.

Last year the general consensus was the team was overachieving at 20-8
This year the general consensus is this team is underperforming at 20-8

Last year our PG was virtually unknown and led the nation in assist. She made everyone around her better and the team had great chemistry.

This year our PG is easily the best freshman in country. She is breaking records by the handful. Her talent drips from her. We are no better, she doesn't make anyone around her better, and our chemistry is lacking.

So, our talent is better but we aren't more successful. How do you change that?

DogCompany74
AG
I would not pretend to know as much about WBB as Gary Blair, but I've seen where he is having Danni more involved in bringing the ball up the court and setting the offense. Her interaction with Carter is improved as has her scoring . Possibly use more of the bench to generate more full court pressure defense .
biobioprof
Rudybryan said:

You talk about Gary and Vic..........BUT noone mentions the one person that have taken both of them
on their trip to success.......

Johnnie Harris

She is a top notch recruiter she brought us Danielle Adams, T smith etc

McCown was her catch and everyone was AFTER her

As it takes a team and the floor it also takes a team in coaching.....

as for defense they have been coached it is called execution....that is lacking

I have praised Johnnie's recruiting many times, Rudy. The KC connection was very good for us. In addition to DA and Tanisha, don't forget the Silent Assassin, Tyra White! I've wondered why Johnnie and Kelly haven't gotten their own HC jobs yet. I thought either of them would have been a much better choice for Arkansas than Jimmy Dykes.

I wrote above that McCowan's recruitment was unusual. McCowan didn't sign anywhere on signing day even though she had good offers. I speculated that this was related to the post situation at Baylor, but that was just speculation. She didn't land at Miss State until the middle of April of her senior year: Then she had a verbal to Cincinnati before Miss State got her.

https://texags.com/forums/58/topics/2603268

Although we offered, I heard after that thread that she wanted to go to school further away from Brenham.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.