SEC Tournament Seeding

795 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by biobioprof
lilsportag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anybody know how the tournament seeding works when teams are tied in conference? Do they go with overall record next? If so, thats crappy because I think SOS should matter somehow. I noticed that they currently have us as 6th in the conference. Thanks.
cs69ag
AG
We are tied for 3rd right now. We won't have a tie breaker with USC or GA since they beat us.
We split with UT and LSU. Doubt we get in top 4 for a bye in first round, but hope to be wrong.
Need to beat Mizzou on Senior day to have the tie breaker over them.
lilsportag02
AG
Yes, but what determines the seeding when there is a tie? Right now Tennessee is ahead of us and we split the series with them. Is that due to overall record? I was just wondering what other factors play in that situation?
biobioprof
lilsportag02 said:

Yes, but what determines the seeding when there is a tie? Right now Tennessee is ahead of us and we split the series with them. Is that due to overall record? I was just wondering what other factors play in that situation?

I think it's the same as for the men

http://www.secsports.com/article/11098238/tournament-tiebreakers

Quote:

When three or more teams are tied, the following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken. If two teams re- main tied after a tiebreaker provision, the two-team tiebreaker formula will be used.
[ol]
  • Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams (Example: Team A is 3-1, Team B is 2-2 and Team C is 1-3 - Team A would be seeded highest, Team B second-highest and Team C lowest of the three).
  • Best winning percentage of the tied teams versus the No. 1 seed (and proceed- ing through the No. 14 seed, if necessary).
  • If two teams remain, coin flip by the Commissioner.
  • If three or more teams remain, draw by the Commissioner.
  • [/ol]
    If the season ended today, 3rd would be between

LSU - beat Tenn, Ga, Mizzou split TAMU. 4-1
    Georgia - beat TAMU and Mizzou, lost to Tenn, LSU, 2-2
    Tenn - beat Georgia, lost LSU split TAMU (Mizzou on Sunday) 2-2
    Ags - split Tenn, LSU. Lost to Georgia (Mizzou left to play) 2-3
    Mizzou - lost to Georgia, LSU, (Tenn and TAMU left to play) 0-2

I may have missed something.
    lilsportag02
    AG
    Thanks for clearing that up. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I don't know if I want Tennessee or Missouri to win on Sunday......
    biobioprof
    lilsportag02 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out. I don't know if I want Tennessee or Missouri to win on Sunday......
    S. Carolina is a game ahead of the pack for 2nd they have UK, LSU and Tenn remaining. To fall back to the pack they'd have to lose again at least once.

If the Ags win out:
    Mizzou falls behind us no matter what else they do. If Tenn wins and SC wins out SC in second drops LSU out of the current pack, which is a split for us and a loss for the Vols. So I think we want Mizzou to beat Tenn to drop the Lady Vols behind us. That would mean, depending on whether SC wins out there would be:

SC in 2nd
    Possibly tied for third:
    Georgia
    Ags

5-6
    LSU - they lose on the road to SC next week
    Tenn - Holly haters riot

An upset of Georgia by any of their last 3 would be icing on the cake, but their last 3 are Ole Miss, Bama, and Florida.

If the Ags lose to Vic's girls then obviously it's harder. Everyone else in the tied group would have to lose at least once to shift the whole thing down 1. Then we'd need additional losses for the teams ahead of us in the tiebreaker. I haven't worked out the possibilities, but I think we still want Mizzou to take out Tenn Sunday.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.