No. 17 Women Host Florida Thursday In BTHO Breast Cancer Game

825 Views | 1 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by biobioprof
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BTHO Breast Cancer Game 27 SEC Game 13 Thursday, February 15, 2018 7 p.m.
Florida Gators (10-15, 2-10 SEC) at
No. 17 AP / No. 18 Coaches' Texas A&M Aggies (19-7, 8-4 SEC)
College Station, Texas | Reed Arena (12, 989)
Watch: SEC Network + (Mike Wright, Tap Bentz)
Radio: The Zone 1150 AM/102.7 FM (Tom Turbiville, Bret Dark)

COLLEGE STATION- No. 17 Texas A&M hosts its annual BTHO Breast Cancer game on Thursday, February 15 at 7 p.m. inside of Reed Arena. Fans wearing pink can purchase a general admission ticket for $3 on game day at the ticket office.

The game is broadcast exclusively on SEC Network +, with Mike Wright and Tap Bentz on the call. Authenticated subscribers can access the stream through WatchESPN and the ESPN app on their computers, mobile phones, tablets, smart TVs and other connected devices. Tom Turbiville and Bret Dark have the radio call, available locally on The Zone 1150 AM/102.7 FM and online at 12thMan.com.

The Aggies (19-7, 8-4 SEC) are looking for their fourth straight home win, and their 13th straight 20+ win season. Chennedy Carter continues to lead the nation's freshmen in points per game with 21.0. Anriel Howard is A&M's leading rebounder with 12.1 boards per game, which ranks second in the SEC.

Florida (10-15, 2-10 SEC) has lost five straight games, but all have been to ranked teams, including a nine point loss to No. 21 Georgia (Jan. 28), a two point loss at No. 15 Missouri (Feb. 5) and a seven-point loss at No. 7 South Carolina (Feb. 11). All five starters are averaging double figure points for the Gators, led by Funda Nakkasoglu with 14.7.

Texas A&M leads the all-time series against Florida 7-1, with the only loss coming at a No. 22 Gator team in 2016. The Aggies registered their first program win in the NCAA Tournament with a 78-76 win against Florida in 1994, a game moved to College Station due to a Rod Stewart concert that was scheduled for the O'Connell Center.

After this game, the Aggies go to No. 2 Mississippi State on Sunday, February 18 with tip at 4 p.m. on ESPN2.

Aggies Set To BTHO Breast Cancer

Thursday's game is the Aggies' 12th annual BTHO Breast Cancer game, with fans encouraged to wear pink to the game and support the cause. Breast cancer survivors and patients currently undergoing treatments are invited to claim a free ticket to the game, and be honored in a halftime ceremony.

"Everybody has been effected by this or some form of cancer," said Texas A&M head coach Gary Blair. "We have a platform in athletics, it's our job not just to win games, but to use our platform to help different charities and causes across the country and in Bryan-College Station."

The cause and the platform resonate with Texas A&M assistant coach Bob Starkey, who is on the Board of Directors for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, and his wife Sherie, a breast cancer survivor herself. They are donating $1.50 for each Texas A&M student who attends Thursday's game, with $1.00 going to the Kay Yow Cancer Fund, and $.50 staying local to the Pink Alliance.

"I'm very proud that women's college basketball is one of the leaders in bringing awareness to the battle against breast cancer," said Bob Starkey. "Our Aggie basketball program and the 12th Man stand committed to do all that we can to create a venue where we promote early detection, raise money for treatments and cures, and Beat The Hell Outta breast cancer."

Over the past 11 seasons, the Aggies have raised over $175,000 to support the cause, and fans can contribute in a variety of ways this season, with 100% of the proceeds benefiting the Pink Alliance and the Kay Yow Cancer Fund. The official 2018 BTHO Breast Cancer t-shirt is available for $10 behind sections 114 and 122 at the game, and there is a silent auction at the game.

"Everyone in this world has been affected by cancer, myself included," said sophomore guard Jasmine Williams, who lost her mother Yolanda to breast cancer. "This game is a great way for Aggies to support Aggies in this effort."
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
biobioprof
I've been asking my colleagues to announce this to their classes (I did mine).

Not that I expect that to work, but couldn't hurt, right?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.