Mizzou AD takes a shot at Staley

1,347 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by LV311
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22268585/missouri-athletic-director-jim-sterk-faults-coach-dawn-staley-promoting-atmosphere-fostering-alleged-fan-misconduct

Quote:

Missouri athletic director Jim Sterk said Tuesday that members of the Tigers women's basketball team were spit on and called a racial slur by South Carolina fans after the team's game Sunday in Columbia, South Carolina, and he faulted Gamecocks coach Dawn Staley for promoting an atmosphere that allowed for it to allegedly happen.

"It wasn't a great atmosphere. It was really kind of unhealthy if you will," Sterk told "The Big Show" on KTGR Radio. "We had players spit on and called the N-word and things like that. It was not a good environment. And unfortunately I think Coach Staley promoted that kind of atmosphere, and it's unfortunate that she felt she had to do that."
No idea if it really happened, but the player the SC fans seemed to be booing the most - Sophie Cunningham - would be an unusual target for the N-word.

edit to add

Michaelis was at the game with the team

Bucketrunner
I do not doubt it. The way they treated Kelsey Bone after her transfer here was much the same.
alamoaggie 64
Glad to see her call out Staley. Staley is an egotistical jerk and a very poor loser, on a par with Mulkey.
Rudybryan
pot calling the kettle black
Kbeauty63
AG
I remember how horribly Missouri acted in 2015 - our last home game, Jordan Jones tore her ACL ... and we lost. Missouri celebrated winning the division (I think) ON THE court after the game... I hated that! (I thought that it was just too much)
biobioprof
Kbeauty63 said:

I remember how horribly Missouri acted in 2015 - our last home game, Jordan Jones tore her ACL ... and we lost. Missouri celebrated winning the division (I think) ON THE court after the game... I hated that! (I thought that it was just too much)
Wbb doesn't have divisions (neither do the men; I think the divisions are just for football). And Mizzou was nowhere close to winning the SEC that year. They finished tied for 7th and went to the NIT.

I don't think it was horrible for them to celebrate an upset win on a buzzer beating 3 pointer on our court, even with JJ's injury. The injury and the loss were bad but that was on us... we still should have won that one.

JJ's knee happened in the first half, and it didn't come from contact by Mizzou. They weren't nearly as physical that year. The Mizzou players all hugged JJ in the post-game, and Pingeton said the expected nice things about Jones in the post-game.

Bad injuries are unfortunately part of the game. I remember being at this one vs USC at Reed the year after the National Championship. We celebrated Sydney Carter giving us the comeback win even though it was somber in the first half when USC's Jackie Gemelos lay on the baseline screaming in pain for a long time in the first half after blowing out a knee.

Coincidentally, the tweet is from the girl who broke down our D on the game winner and made the assist on the final 3 pointer.
LV311
There has to be a thorough investigation of this event. The truth, whatever it is, needs to come out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.