Katie Smith replaces Laimbeer as Liberty's head coach

New York wasted no time in finding a new head coach after news broke of Bill Laimbeer leaving for the same position with a different team.

With recent news breaking that Bill Laimbeer was leaving New York to coach the new team in Las Vegas, rumors circulated that the new coach for the Liberty would be Katie Smith.

No longer is it a rumor, as the team announced Smith will be promoted from associated head coach to head coach of the New York Liberty.

"I am excited for this opportunity to continue to work with the amazing women of the New York Liberty in a new role," said Smith. "I want to thank James Dolan, Isiah Thomas, and Madison Square Garden for entrusting me to lead this team, along with Bill Laimbeer for all that he did to bring me along over the past four seasons, and prepare me to become a head coach in the WNBA. I am grateful to have the opportunity to take on this next challenge in my career."
Smith has been coaching in New York under Laimbeer for the past four seasons and spent the most recent two as his associate head coach. Taking the position will be Smith's first time as a head coach in the WNBA.

https://www.swishappeal.com/2017/10/16/16475140/katie-smith-replaces-laimbeer-liberty-head-coach-wnba#comments