Coaching news: TTU hires Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes

1,798 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MidTnAg
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Coaching news: TTU hires Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes

Per reports, Sheryl Swoopes is back into coaching players at the college level.
by Rene' Kennedy Jul 5, 2017, 5:46pm EDT

David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

Last year about this time, Loyola University of Chicago fired Hall of Famer, Sheryl Swoopes. Now a year later, Swoopes has been hired as the Director of Player Development at a school extremely close to her: Texas Tech, her alma mater.

Swoopes graduated from Texas Tech before making her legacy in the WNBA. She also is in the university's Hall of Fame since in 2003.

Head coach Candi Whitaker stated this in a press release:

"I am thrilled to welcome Sheryl back to Texas Tech as our program's Director of Player Development. Candi Whitaker said in a news release. She brings a wealth of experience playing at the highest level and will be an outstanding resource for our student-athletes. Sheryl's passion for our program and for impacting young players will be extremely beneficial for our continued growth. She is a fantastic addition to our staff."
As for Swoopes, she won't be coaching but she will have daily interaction with players on and off the court, as well as doing the color analyst on TV broadcasts for the Lady Raiders.

"I couldn't be more excited about joining Texas Tech and the Lady Raider program. I am very grateful to Coach Whitaker for giving me this opportunity and I am looking forward to working with the players and staff. My role as Director of Player Development gives me an opportunity to do what I love and help the players develop both on and off the court."

Swoopes has been inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame making her the first person from Texas Texas to receive the honor. She also was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

aggiebrad94
AG
I still get a big chuckle when I think back to her college days. She originally went to Texas but then transferred because tu had "too big" of a lesbian prescence. Well, guess who came out of the closet during her WNBA career.

I bet tu could have won 2 or 3 championships had she stayed. They had so much better talent and depth vs. Tech.
biobioprof
Missed this in the initial coverage. The other asst hire at Tech is Melanie Balcomb
Quote:

Lady Raider Basketball Head Coach Candi Whitaker has named Melanie Balcomb as Associate Head Coach.
Balcomb comes to Texas Tech after serving as the Director of Coaching Offensive Analytics with the 2017 NCAA Champions South Carolina Gamecocks.

"I'm excited to get back on the court and help Texas Tech keep moving the needle forward in a positive way," Balcomb said. "The opportunity to work with great people at a program with historical success made it an easy decision."

Balcomb spent 23 seasons as a college head coach, 21 seasons at the NCAA Division I level. She was the all-time winningest head coach at Vanderbilt for 14 seasons (2003-16) with a 310-149 record. She led the Commodores to three SEC Tournament Championships (2004, 2007, 2009) and Four NCAA Sweet 16 appearances (2004, 2005, 2008, 2009).
MidTnAg
AG
Congratulations to her.

It was unbelievable how she carried Texas Tech to their NCAA Championship.

Incredible performance in an incredible game by an incredible player.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.