Diamond DeShields forgoes final year, will turn pro

2,859 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Rudybryan
Rudybryan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Diamond DeShields forgoes final year, will turn pro
Diamond DeShields reverses course, and decides to turn pro and forgo her last year of eligibility.

by Mike Robinson Jun 23, 2017, 6:51pm EDT

In a stunning development today, Tennessee redshirt-senior Diamond DeShields has decided to turn pro, and will not return for her final year of eligibility.

Lady Vols head coach Holly Warlick had this to say in a statement.
Quote:

"Diamond has opted to forego her final collegiate season," Warlick said in a school release. "She earned a degree from UT and now has a chance to play professionally."
More coming soon.

update:
Diamond DeShields is leaving Tennessee, which shocked all of women's college basketball, especially in light of the fact that the former Lady Vol said this on her Instagram when she said she was returning to school on April 1

Quote:

"I will forgo the WNBA draft to finish my senior year here at UT. Developing my game further and playing for championship(s) are always part of the ideal plan, but giving these four young ladies an opportunity to be themselves, make mistakes and still have the love they need and deserve is my first priority."
According to multiple Swish Appeal sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, Diamond DeShields had been considering leaving for the last month, after returning home to Georgia following the spring semester and graduation.
The forced exit of her best friend, Te'a Cooper, sources say was also a factor in the decision of DeShields to forego a fifth year in college, and pursue professional basketball. Cooper's departure was officially announced May 16.

biobioprof
Fallout from the Cooper situation.
Rudybryan
Te'a Cooper's fight with teammate led to transfer from Tennessee
Ex-Tennessee guard Te'a Cooper elected to transfer to South Carolina, after instigating a fight with a teammate, per report.

by Mike Robinson Jun 26, 2017, 1:03pm EDT

The past couple of months at Tennessee has been "eventful" to say the least. First, talented sophomore guard Te'a Cooper decided to transfer after already sitting out the past season due to injury to South Carolina. Then her former teammate and best friend, Diamond DeShields, abruptly reversed course and decided to forgo her final season with the Lady Vols and turn pro.

And according to multiple Swish Appeal sources, one of the reasons why DeShields elected to leave, was because her best friend, Cooper, was forced out of the program. However, the looming question, and something that's not been elaborated on: Why was Cooper told to leave?

Well, per a report by longtime Tennessee sportswriter and radio host Jimmy Hyams, Cooper's forced exit from the Tennessee program was because of a fight she had with a teammate, Jaime Nared:

Former Lady Vol basketball player Te'a Cooper decided to transfer from Tennessee in part because she faced possible disciplinary action regarding a fight she instigated with teammate Jaime Nared, according to multiple sources.

The fight occurred in a dorm room shortly after the Lady Vols season ended

It was witnessed by several Lady Vols basketball players, the sources said.
Another interesting point that Hyams raises in his report, is whether the SEC will have something to say regarding Cooper:

The SEC has a rule that can prohibit a player from transferring within the league if the player has a history of questionable behavior.

It is not known if the SEC will make a ruling regarding Cooper since no charges were filed against the redshirt sophomore from Powder Springs, Ga.
Swish Appeal has been able to confirm Hyams' report.
Rudybryan

But, another looming question regarding DeShields: Is she eligible to play in the WNBA this year? No, multiple league sources told Swish Appeal. If the ex-Tennessee star wants to play in the WNBA, she will have to wait until next year, according to sources.

Rudybryan
[url=https://www.instagram.com/p/BWkmPcUHlCO/][/url]Pro news: Diamond DeShields officially announces Turkey signing

Diamond DeShields announces she is headed to Turkey.

38 comments
Thanking the man up stairs for his continued blessings! Turkey is a long way from home but my journey to self discovery and self improvement has brought me to this point and I'm super excited to be joining Cukurova basketball over in Turkey. Thanks to all who have supported and will continue to support me on this life changing journey ! #Repost @cukurovabasketbol (@get_repost) Diamond DeShields ukurova Basketbol'da! @dddeshields #diamonddeshields
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.