Quote:

She was a McDonald's All-American and a 2016 Gatorade Player of the Year. She was also invited to try out for Team USA. Aaliyah was ready for her freshman year at the University of Arkansas when something went wrong.

"So, I was blessed to have a healthy life and then here I am. I'm in a hospital bed," Wilson said.

Wilson was diagnosed with Graves' Disease and her immune system began to harm her instead of helping her. Playing the game she loves was put on hold.

"Not being able to touch or shoot or go run or anything that's second nature to me, it really sucked," Wilson said.

Although Graves' disease is rarely life-threatening, Wilson was in a battle with her family at her side.
"Most people don't realize how hard it was how many nights we stayed up," said Sheri Wilson, Aaliyah's mother. "I seen her literally at death's door."

Wilson missed almost six months of basketball, but the treatment was working and her doctors told her what she wanted to hear - it was time to play again.
Graves' disease involves the thyroid becoming overactive. President GHW Bush and Barbara Bush were both diagnosed with Graves' disease in the early 90s. There was even some speculation that the trigger was something they got from MiIlie