Never knew Ags offered Mulkey job in 98

2,653 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by greg.w.h
Rusty GCS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was looking for something about LSU shortstop Kramer Robertson. His mom is obviously Kim Mulkey. Saw this article and it mentioned in passing she was offered the A&M job in 1998. I'm not sure if it's good or bad that she didn't take it.

Also, don't get on her bad side. She apparently has a long list of people she refuses to talk to.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com//sportsdaydfw/2012/03/09/baylor-s-kim-mulkey-is-fierce-loving-and-loyal-but-dont-get-on-her-bad-side
greg.w.h
AG
Good coach. Good recruiter. Woman coaching a sport for women that has won an NC as a player and two more as HC. Her public comments are the only negative. Might have led us sooner to an NC.

I am not sure her son's recollection should be considered the whole story, though.
Rudybryan
Quote:

Her public comments are the only negative.
She has more negatives than that......enlighten yourself research her name.....
Rusty GCS
AG
Not arguing but List them

I know she spoke out ahah st our SEC move but that was toeing the company line. Obviously she has some faults as evidenced by her nature to stonewall people. I just don't know enough about that in relation to Ags or Blair
greg.w.h
AG
Only negatives I saw when I re-researched her name were dumb comments she made. No assaults or thefts or other crimes. No embezzlement. Probably danced once or twice on campus but that's okay now.
Bucketrunner
Sometimes character, or the lack of it, trumps coaching ability. She is a prime example.

And, no, I will not list them. If you don't know, then you haven't been paying attention.
Rusty GCS
AG
I saw a "Rally Mulkey" shirt to the LSU baseball game last night
Rudybryan

Off the top of my head I remember her being a horses ass in Dallas when we kicked their butts on our run to the NC

Read Griner's book she wrote some interesting tidbits

greg.w.h
AG
Griner's mention of Mulkey was suggestive of being told to hide lesbian behavior without Griner explaining why. Might I suggest because Baylor admin preferred it not discussed and Mulkey was trying to protect players from getting sideways with the admin? It is a private, conservative(ish), sectarian school.

And I'll note our women's basketball players rarely are out, either...

The Dallas comments were...comments...
Bucketrunner
The day of the game in Dallas, both she and Blair were interviewed together by a local television station. Blair, as always, was gracious and humble. She was smug and arrogant. She is incapable of congratulating or appreciating anyone else's success.
alamoaggie 64
Poor loser.

A person who only contacts friends when she needs something.

Typical Baylor in that she refused to believe Briles and his boys did anything wrong.
biobioprof
greg.w.h said:

Griner's mention of Mulkey was suggestive of being told to hide lesbian behavior without Griner explaining why. Might I suggest because Baylor admin preferred it not discussed and Mulkey was trying to protect players from getting sideways with the admin? It is a private, conservative(ish), sectarian school.

And I'll note our women's basketball players rarely are out, either...

The Dallas comments were...comments...
IIRC, Griner thought the hypocrisy was notable but not a big deal. She still thought highly of Mulkey as a coach and obviously never transferred. But it was still hypocritical because Griner was already out in HS, was told by Mulkey during recruiting that it didn't matter, and was later told by Mulkey to be less out while at Baylor. I'm guessing that Kim never told a straight player to not be seen having dinner with her boyfriend on Valentine's Day. But she didn't tell Griner to go completely into the closet; Griner said everyone on the team knew.

Whether players want to be out about being straight, gay, bi, or other is their own business IMO. If issues related to any flavor of sex affect team chemistry, I suspect the coaches can deal with it as a chemistry issue, not an orientation issue.
BMOC86
AG
Mulkey hates A&M with a passion , refused to even let our staff view their facilities years ago.
She does not hide her hatred for us
NewArmy69
AG
She was not convinced of our commitment to Women's Basketball back then.
greg.w.h
AG
My take is Griner was simply outing the truth on the circumstances with no particular axe to grind other than perhaps a little frustration with the culture at Baylor (including things said about her we saw repeated here) as well as the relative tepidness of her coach in responding to it. Just a guess of course.

But Kim remains a solid recruiter and coach whose main flaw is a big mouth. That's something we often tolerate in men HCs. A bit puzzling that this board insists on making it more about her comments on a rival (especially in a somewhat unusual circumstance) than pretty much anything else. And, no, I'm not suggesting I prefer Kim to Gary either then or now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.