Gary Blair receives contract extension through 2020-21 season

2,231 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Yell Practice
Ronnie Woodard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This just in from A&M SID David Waxman.

Quote:

COLLEGE STATION - The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents voted on Thursday to extend the contract for Aggie women's basketball coach Gary Blair an additional three years through the 2020-21 season.

The Board authorized Texas A&M President Michael K. Young to execute the coach's employment contract in conjunction with Director of Athletics Scott Woodward.

"Gary is a Hall of Fame coach and continues to do an outstanding job," Woodward said. "I am encouraged by his energy and focus to keep Aggie women's basketball among the best in the nation."

Blair, who was named to the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame in 2013, just finished his 14th season in Aggieland and the school made its record 12th straight NCAA appearance which also included the 2011 national championship. He is the winningest active coach in the SEC in terms of overall victories (739) as well as SEC wins (108).

"I am very appreciative to the Texas A&M administration for their support of Aggie women's basketball," Blair said. "The Aggie family is loyal and this contract extension helps us share our vision for the continued success of our program."

"I am as encouraged and excited as I have ever been to coach our team and recruit terrific young ladies who are not only great basketball players, but terrific people as well." Blair added. "This lets our student-athletes, recruits, and fans know that my coaching staff and I plan to be at Texas A&M for the foreseeable future."

Blair has had 11 players selected in the WNBA draft in the past nine years. Blair will begin his 33rd year as a collegiate head coach. He is one of only three head coaches to lead two different teams to the NCAA Women's Final Four (Texas A&M and Arkansas) and one of only eight coaches to lead three different programs to the NCAA Tournament (Stephen F. Austin, Arkansas, Texas A&M).

In addition to his success on the hardwood, Blair is an active member of the Bryan-College Station community and has helped Special Olympics raise more than $1 million dollars during his coaching career.

aggiedrjdub
AG
yipee.
Thymes
2011 was a lot of fun, Gary. I want another one of those before you retire.
HiddenAg2
This does make me wonder if Vic is not as interested in returning to A&M as I thought. Blair is clearly not the same coach he was 5 years ago, but Woodward probably believes he's still better than taking a risk with a new hire that is not as proven as Vic.
Thymes
I think the idea of Vic returning to Aggieland is product of Aggie wishful thinking. He has built his program in Starkville and proven that he can get into the national championship game.
jja79
AG
A poster here chastised me for suggesting Vic had his thing rolling and coming home wasn't a given.

I like Gary and he's been good to me and mine but we won't contend again for a long time.
biobioprof
When Blair was defending Holly after the win in Knoxville, I was wondering how much he and Vic had talked about the "following a legend" issue over the years.
greg.w.h
AG
This extension gives Blair a runway to takeoff from. He can use it to build a new team or to make other choices. He has publicly stated he wants another go. And his recruiting reflects that. I am not unhappy with this as long as it isn't an RIP move: retired in place.
Yell Practice
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.