Alexa Middleton transferring from Tenn

1,528 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by greg.w.h
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Knoxville News Sentinel
Quote:

Tennessee senior guard Alexa Middleton said Friday her decision to leave the Lady Vols program was a personal decision and allows her to go "somewhere to reach the goals I have set."

The 5-foot-9 Middleton, a former star at Murfreesboro Riverdale High School, will complete the spring semester at UT and plans to transfer.

She will have to sit out one season and will have year of eligibility remaining.
This seems odd to me. I can see how she might be unhappy that she didn't get the PT she expected at Tenn, but waiting until the end of her junior year makes me wonder what her goals are and whether she really has a better chance to reach them by transferring, especially if she's not graduating first.

If her goal is just to play more, maybe.
greg.w.h
AG
I generally believe the transfer system prevents unfortunate situations by giving the student athletes meaningful choices and allowing them and their families to not be "stuck" with just the perspective of the coaches. They might choose well or they might not, but it is a form of freedom in a system that previously strongly favored the school/coaches.

Just the previous situation at LSU (or similar situation with Summit's son) are a sufficient validation of the policy (though the show cause restrictions and freeing of commitments such as at UH when Danuel House left are equally strong anecdotes) of player freedom.

When the actual reason isn't public and it's negative for the coach, I honestly think it deserves reporting to the NCAA and probably deserves a bit of a public response. That would leave just transfers where the player messes up or chooses to leave private.
biobioprof
I hope I didn't imply that I think her ability to transfer should be restricted more than it already is... if anything I think players shouldn't have to sit out a year.

But when they transfer, fans will wonder about the rationale. I think that just comes with the territory and will get more prevalent if WBB ever gets to be as popular as I'd like it to be.
greg.w.h
AG
My philosophy is that transfers are very good for the sports and athletes. Less restrictive is better. I'm inclined to acknowledge that kids (no offense to our current and continuing students) deserve privacy and especially from government institutions but since there is a self-regulatory regime the rules ought to apply as similarly as possible to all members.

Reporting is great and that lets the student tell her story if she so desires. Schools should be limited to affirming time ofenrollment and other required information for administration of the NCAA "legislation" and should practice using privacy rules evenhandedly for all students (including athletes) otherwise. Explicit, non-coercive, per incident opt-in waiver should be required for any other publication of information about the student other than things like playing statistics.

Keep the rules simple. Keep the rules firmly protecting the privacy of the student. Let them transfer to solve perceived issues by the student. Hold coaches and staff to very high ethical standards including reporting to the school and NCAA absolutely every negative situation. School disciplines employees and students. NCAA formulates meaningful "legislation" for egregious situations and disciplines schools that fail to self-administer their own and NCAA standards. No wiggle room.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.