WBB Final Four 2017

10,465 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by biobioprof
PhatMack19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vic is wearing his National Championship ring and his Aggie ring. He needs to be in College Station soon
aggietony2010
AG
For anyone wondering, it appears the review was handled correctly as far as the timing was concerned.

The call itself however...

What a win for Vic.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
biobioprof
What a great game and a great performance by the Bulldogs.

Glad MaryAnne kept Vic from getting a technical on top of the flagrant.

I thought Chong charged on that last ill-advised drive, but this ending was much more exciting than calling a foul there.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Back to the UNLV-Duke comparison. uConn just never found their flow and looked to be pressing offensively for so much of that game, including pretty much all of the last 15 minutes.
DannyDuberstein
AG
The SEC seems pretty good at sports'ing.
TyHolden
AG
The lobo looks a bit pissed...
Bucketrunner
Ding Dong, the witch is dead!
johnnyblaze36
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Vic is wearing his National Championship ring and his Aggie ring. He needs to be in College Station soon
Posted this on a couple other threads but apparently his lucky tie too...

DANManman
AG
The sportscaster kept calling this one of the biggest upsets in history. That's nonsense. Miss St is a top 5 team with 4 losses all season, including against S Carolina.

As satisfying as it is to see the mighty UConn go home empty-handed, let's enjoy this just as much for Vic, who's an all-class coach and person. I hope they go all the way! Carolina will get theirs eventually, just hopefully not this time.
aggiefan09
AG
My take away from both games the atmosphere of a final four makes or break how enjoyable the game is.
S.Car vs Stanford: USCe seemed to know they were going to dominate and Stanford was just happy to be there. The crowd noise was like watching a preseason womens game, it got close towards the end but very tame.

MSST. VS Uconn: you could almost sense an upset brewing. It seemed that 3-4 sections was there for the Huskies but 90% of the rest was probably a 60/40 split of bulldog fans(60) and everybody wanting uconn to lose (40).
Vic Schafer is the reason those girls fought for 45 minutes and I hope A&M goes after him hard when Blair retires.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Thanks Vic for the best sports day at our place in a long time!!!
sharpdressedman
The victory is beyond awesome, NEVER to be forgotten. Coach Vic and his team overcame some officiating adversity to win it. Heartiest congratulations to them!

That wailing and gnashing of teeth you hear are ESPN and NCAA execs watching the ratings for the title game circling the drain. No east coast unbeatables or left coast Illuminati will be represented, just some plain 'ol Southern girls who played their guts out to earn the opportunity to be national champions. Love it.
_lefraud_
AG
DANManman said:

The sportscaster kept calling this one of the biggest upsets in history. That's nonsense. Miss St is a top 5 team with 4 losses all season, including against S Carolina.

As satisfying as it is to see the mighty UConn go home empty-handed, let's enjoy this just as much for Vic, who's an all-class coach and person. I hope they go all the way! Carolina will get theirs eventually, just hopefully not this time.

Uconn was favored to win by 20. After being down 8 at half, Uconn was still favored to win the 2nd half by 14. It's gotta be one of the biggest upsets for the sport.
94chem
What an awful, horrible call against MSU. So happy that they were able to overcome it. Kara Lawson was a plodding clubfoot, and has probably never experienced seeing a loose ball floating in the air, and actually trying to turn to get it. That wasn't a common foul, much less a flagrant. If they would look at the actual play, instead of the facial hurt feelings of the uconn player, maybe they would get it right. That wasn't even a difficult call. The review should have taken less than 10 seconds.
aggiebrad94
AG
DAN - did you not see the stats about UCONN streak? Only 3 single digit wins. Only 23 times in over 450 halves had they been behind. Their 111 game streak started after their 90 game streak was stopped. They have destroyed so many good teams along the way that would have beaten MSU easily.
EKUAg
AG
_lefraud_ said:

DANManman said:

Uconn was favored to win by 20. After being down 8 at half, Uconn was still favored to win the 2nd half by 14. It's gotta be one of the biggest upsets for the sport.

Not sure that people knew the mental state MSU would come out with against UCONN after being beat down by 60 in the sweet 16 last year. Good on Coach Victor for the mental prep as well.
BQ_90
AG
State has to play USCe for the third time. Lost close the them at USC, lost by 10 in the SEC title game.

The talk is always it's hard to beat a team three times in a year.

Hopefully it'll be another great game
GiveEmHellBill
AG
BQ_90 said:

State has to play USCe for the third time. Lost close the them at USC, lost by 10 in the SEC title game.

Just ask Baylor (well, they were going for four against us).

God bless and go Dogs!
biobioprof
GiveEmHellBill said:

BQ_90 said:

Just ask Baylor (well, they were going for four against us).

God bless and go Dogs!
That's Praise the Lord and Go Dogs!

Game getting started now.
BQ_90
AG
Not enough left in the tank after slaying UCONN, congrats to USC
Coppell97
AG
Why wasn't the miss st star point guard in the game at all the 2nd half?
Goose06
AG
I just watched the 4th quarter, why was the state point guard benched?
Coppell97
AG
Goose06 said:

all over twitter no one seems to know. She didn't look hurt. Just upset.
Coppell97
AG
When asked why she was on bench, Vic said "a few players didn't have the energy level we needed."
biobioprof
Coppell97 said:

Goose06 said:

all over twitter no one seems to know. She didn't look hurt. Just upset.
The sideline reporters were saying that Vic wasn't happy with her effort all game. Who knows if tweets are accurate, but saw this from what appears to be a MSU fan:

She was also much less effective with the combination of fatigue from an OT game that had them up after midnight on Friday and the speed of the SC guards. When her speed is neutralized, her size disadvantage becomes more of a problem.

The run to cut it to 4 was with the backup running the offense, and Holmes made the bucket to cut it to 4. But I thought that the Gamecocks also won the game by a the energy on the boards combined with players making some ridiculously tough shots. That can be really demoralizing, especially when you're already tired.
DANManman
AG
Cardiac Saturday said:

Thanks Vic for the best sports day at our place in a long time!!!

Not too long ago...

That being said, congrats to S Carolina, and also to Coach Vic and crew for a wonderful run!
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

especially when you're already tired

If they're tired after ONE game in the last week before today, there's a conditioning issue.
biobioprof
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

especially when you're already tired

If they're tired after ONE game in the last week before today, there's a conditioning issue.
It was an overtime game against freaking UConn, and it wasn't just earlier in the week. It was less than 48 hours earlier. Conditioning matters, but there are physiological limits on how fast you can recover. Morgan William is also the kind of player who has to expend an above average amount of energy to succeed, and Vic's scheme consumes a lot of energy compared to others.

From Vic's presser via the Clarion-Ledger.
Quote:

"Jazz played good today. Morgan, she had some struggles early," Schaefer said. "Again, y'all, it's a long, hard grind of a year, of a season. We got in so late Friday night. We've been trying to almost play catch-up since then."

Schaefer suggested that William may have lacked the energy she played with in Mississippi State's thrilling upset over UConn on Friday night.

"I thought we had a couple kids today that just didn't quite have the energy level that we needed," Schaefer said. "When you combine that with their energy level seemed to be really good, I think that made for a bad recipe for our not being able to handle dribble-penetration."
greg.w.h
AG
Both clubs represented. This was a first for MSSt. Carolina has more experience and it showed. Very proud of both teams for repping the SEC, too. Wish the game had been closer but both teams didn't play the overall #1 seed and break a 111-game streak. The Bulldogs will be back.

Special shout out to Dawn Staley on a first NC after three F4 trips as a player without an NC. The first two years there had to be some reaching down deep for the 3-time Olympic gold medalist (as a player...two more golds as an assistant coach.) She is fun to watch as she manages her bench and assistants. So much desire to win.
biobioprof
Morgan William handled the question well in this ESPN story.
Quote:

"Coach wanted more energy, and I guess I wasn't bringing enough," William said. "I'm not mad; Jazz did a good job. She had good energy on defense and offense, and she scored and made good passes. I'm proud of her."

Asked if Schaefer said anything to her about not putting her back in the game, William said, "He shouldn't have to. He's the coach. I'm just a player. Whatever he thinks is best, that's best for the team. I was just cheering my teammates on from the bench, just try to keep them going."
and she admits she was tired
Quote:

"It's basketball, and you've got to find a way," William said. "I was winded, but I tried to find a way. I tried to dig deep down inside. But it happens.

"I gave everything I've got [against UConn]. I gave it my all. This game, I gave my all the first couple of minutes, but I was tired in the first quarter. My teammates needed me; I'd come to the sideline and they were like, 'Mo, where you at?' I'm like, 'I'm here, I'm trying to find my second wind.'"

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.