Florida Job

1,849 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by biobioprof
alamoaggie 64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Becky Hammon is being considered for Florida job. She should do well. She has done a good job with the Spurs.
biobioprof
Posted about Hammon being considered on the coaching carousel thread a couple of days ago. My impression is that everyone thinks she would do a great job despite not already being an established WBB HC.

So, the consensus on the Florida sites and elsewhere seems to be that she has to be the top candidate if she wants the job. And now the rumor is that they've offered.
jja79
AG
I hope they don't come after Starkey.
biobioprof
jja79 said:

I hope they don't come after Starkey.
I laughed a bit at this, since there's been so much bashing of Starkey since he got here.

More on Hammon getting an offer

If they don't land Hammon, the rumors are that Belmont's Cam Neubauer is one of the other two. Elon's Charlotte Smith has been mentioned. So it sounds like a mid-major head coach if not Hammon.

Since the new Florida AD, Scott Stricklin, came from Miss State, some Florida fans thought he would go after Vic. I thought that since Vic was a successful assoc head coach it was more likely he'd look for someone like that. Specifically Johnnie Harris because he came from MSU.

Two things I'm wondering now:
  • If she says no, will that affect how the other candidates view the job? It shouldn't normally matter, but this is one of those cases where the fans might treat the new coach as a big letdown, which can create self-fulfilling problems.
  • If she says yes, will she hire as assistants? I'm wondering if the Stars connection might lead to Colson being poached from the staff at Rice.

MUAG
I guess I would do all I could to help Starkey get the FL job
jja79
AG
Obviously I was being facetious. No one is coming after anyone on this staff. That tells you it's a bad staff.
Kbeauty63
AG
How do you know they aren't coming after any of the Aggie WBB staff? Until it comes out in the media - sometimes NO ONE knows
Rudybryan
They were hot on the trail last year.......so you need new information

jja79
AG
Kbeauty63 said:

How do you know they aren't coming after any of the Aggie WBB staff? Until it comes out in the media - sometimes NO ONE knows

Let's see who off this staff gets a head job.
biobioprof
jja79 said:

Obviously I was being facetious. No one is coming after anyone on this staff. That tells you it's a bad staff.
Well, shame on me for thinking you might just be naive instead of a troll.
jja79
AG
Not trolling at all but since you seem to know who on this staff is being courted for a HC job?
biobioprof
jja79 said:

Not trolling at all but since you seem to know who on this staff is being courted for a HC job?
Highjacking a thread about Becky Hammon to take shots at our coaching staff isn't trolling? Yeah, right.

I didn't claim that anyone on our staff is moving this season. If Arkansas' AD had a clue, IMO, they would have gone after Kelly instead of hiring Jimmy Dykes 3 years ago. Their job is open again, but I expect them to try to steal a HC from a larger school or a HC from a mid-major. Blair has been lobbying for Kelly to get a HC job for a while now, and while she hasn't gotten one, it's similar to how he lobbied for schools to consider Vic for a HC for years. It took a long time and a National Championship for Strickland, who was at MSU at the time and is now the Florida AD, to give Vic a shot, and that's worked out pretty well for them.

What I don't know is who is looking to move. Chris Dailey at UConn and Kate Paye at Stanford have been with their teams for decades and nobody thinks Geno or Tara have bad staffs based on them not moving to HC jobs. My impression is that Starkey is not interested in being a HC. He was interim at LSU between Pokey Chatman and Nikki Fargas and took the team to the Final Four, so I think if he wanted to be a HC, he could have had the LSU job. When LSU struggled last year, IIRC, there were LSU fans saying they wished he was back with them.

Kelly has been with us long enough that I don't see her taking a HC that isn't a P5 job like the one Vic took.

I'd say the coach most likely to get poached would be Amy going to either a small school or to be a higher level assistant somewhere. I don't know her views on what she wants as her career path, but she's young and as far as I know doesn't have the family issues for moving that would affect the others. She doesn't have the same level of resume, but consider the fact that Incarnate Word in San Antonio hired former Blair PG Christy Smith to be their HC. I think Amy's coaching resume is better than Smith's ... but she'd probably be better off staying here than going to a school like that.
jja79
AG
Sorry to have upset you so. It seems like on Texags threads sometimes have natural offshoots. Recognizing issues with the program isn't the same as criticizing anyone.
biobioprof
Not upset. Just as sarcasm doesn't always come across in text, the degree of caring about other people's opinions doesn't come across either.

In any case, Hammon turned them down today. After being turned down by her, Florida quickly hired Belmont coach Cameron Newbauer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.