A&M WBB advances to SEC Tourney semis with 62-48 win over Mizzou

1,502 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Athena_09
Ronnie Woodard
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The sixth-seeded Texas A&M women's basketball team moved into the semifinals of the 2017 SEC Tournament with a 62-48 victory over third-seeded Missouri on Friday night. The win puts the Aggies into the semifinals of the tournament for the third time in five years since they joined the conference. They're also the only "non-chalk" team to reach the semis.

Anriel Howard led the Aggies with 19 points and nine rebounds, while point guard Curtyce Knox added eight points and 10 assists. Additionally, A&M held 1st-team All-SEC pick Sophie Cunningham to just 13 points, well below her average of 17.8 per game. Cunningham went for 36 in the first meeting of the season between the two teams

After the first quarter, A&M trailed the Tigers 19-10 after Missouri started hot from behind the arc. But the Aggie defense clamped down over the next two quarters, allowing the Tigers to score just eight points in the second quarter and a measly four points in the third. During that stretch A&M battled from nine down to take a 39-31 lead and control of the contest.

In the fourth, Missouri picked up their offensive production, but so did A&M as the Aggies pushed their advantage to the 62-48 final score.

A&M forced 20 turnovers on the night, including a whopping 12 steals. The win was number 738 for Gary Blair and moves him into 13th all-time in total women's basketball wins.

Next up, the Aggies a face familiar foe, second-seeded Mississippi State in the tournament semifinals. The Bulldogs won both contests between the two teams in the regular season, but both were highly competitive and not decided into well into the fourth quarter.
rojack
AG
Great win. Gig em.
Athena_09
AG
Great win. However, women's basketball is at an important stage of growth in the baseball stage and, as much as I love Gary Blair, I don't see him as our coach of the future. He's always been a top 25 guy, but his best years were with Vic.
If we're going to be a powerhouse program. A program like USC, OSU, and Alabama are in football or Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky in men's basketball we have to set that up now. We need to bring Vic back before he gets too entrenched art MSU. Like Bear Bryant for Alabama, home needs to call, and we need him to answer.
Let's make sure 20 years from now when people list the most historically successful programs in women's basketball the list UCONN, Tennessee, Baylor, A&M, Notre Dame, and Stanford.
Lets not become a perennial top 25 with that one off championship in 2011. I fear we're already being left behind.
BQ92
AG
Actur said:

Great win. However, women's basketball is at an important stage of growth in the baseball stage and, as much as I love Gary Blair, I don't see him as our coach of the future. He's always been a top 25 guy, but his best years were with Vic.
If we're going to be a powerhouse program. A program like USC, OSU, and Alabama are in football or Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky in men's basketball we have to set that up now. We need to bring Vic back before he gets too entrenched art MSU. Like Bear Bryant for Alabama, home needs to call, and we need him to answer.
Let's make sure 20 years from now when people list the most historically successful programs in women's basketball the list UCONN, Tennessee, Baylor, A&M, Notre Dame, and Stanford.
Lets not become a perennial top 25 with that one off championship in 2011. I fear we're already being left behind.

Save it for the offseason please, or at least after a loss
Athena_09
AG
Howbowdah?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.