Peyton Little 3 ends Texas win streak

3,750 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by cedar
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
http://www.espn.com/ncw/recap?gameId=400911178
Quote:

NORMAN, Okla. -- Peyton Little hit a corner 3-pointer with two seconds remaining, and No. 19 Oklahoma beat No. 8 Texas 74-73 Saturday, ending the Longhorns' 19-game winning streak.
aggieFann
I didn't see this coming but it definitely makes their matchup with Baylor on Monday more interesting.
DogCompany74
AG
Glad Peyton found a home in Norman because for whatever reasons she was definitely not happy here.
Kbeauty63
AG
I don't think she was unhappy - I think she wanted playing time & saw it wouldn't happen until her Senior Year
cs69ag
AG
She was behind some more athletic and experienced players. She and her dad were not willing to wait her time. I think she would have played more as a soph and a junior. Blair's O at the time was not featuring a lot of 3 point shooting....he has come around some now on that, as Curtyce, Dani and Coop are shooting a fair number of 3 balls. Tough being the best 3A player in the State and then having to wait for your time. I guess Curtyce is the poster person for waiting! I'm glad Curtyce put value in getting her degree and job prospects in Texas by staying at TAMU!

just my $.025...I'm still a highway 6 runs both ways type Aggie
DogCompany74
AG
Thanks for the detail. I am also a Hwy 6 guy and I couldn't figure out why she was upset about not playing when the times she was in there as a fish she was not shooting particularly well.
Dani had some of the same issues last year but she has really come around to the challenge.
biobioprof
Kbeauty63 said:

I don't think she was unhappy - I think she wanted playing time & saw it wouldn't happen until her Senior Year
Wouldn't happen then unless she redshirted or beat Jennings for the 6th man spot. Remember that she came in with last year's seniors and had to sit a year at OU. Who knows if we get Danni if Peyton had redshirted like Tyce.

I don't know how unhappy she was here, but IIRC, her family wasn't happy. I recall somebody here saying they saw some conflict on the bench during the Nebraska game, but My lasting memory of Peyton is of her being one of the last players to leave the selection show party because she was spending time with people's kids. So I will always have a soft spot for her.

And am I the only one who wonders every now and then what the past few years might have been if CWill had left and Peyton had stayed? I thought CWill could be amazing at her best and was proud of how she seemed to have grown by the middle of last year. But the way her career ended was obviously a big disappointment.
czar_iv
AG
Quote:

And am I the only one who wonders every now and then what the past few years might have been if CWill had left and Peyton had stayed? I thought CWill could be amazing at her best and was proud of how she seemed to have grown by the middle of last year. But the way her career ended was obviously a big disappointment.
I have no clue about the situation, but for some reason, I think CWill contributed to Peyton leaving. On the court, it was obvious that CWill thought that she should be playing the 3, but in reality, Peyton was the better 3 and has proved it ever since. Blair was too scared to run off a McDonalds All America in Williams, but he should have.
biobioprof
czar_iv said:

Quote:

I have no clue about the situation, but for some reason, I think CWill contributed to Peyton leaving. On the court, it was obvious that CWill thought that she should be playing the 3, but in reality, Peyton was the better 3 and has proved it ever since. Blair was too scared to run off a McDonalds All America in Williams, but he should have.
Whoa! As much as I have a soft spot for Peyton, there's no way I can agree that she's proved she's a better 3 than CWill. Williams was on the Pan Am national team and did manage to get drafted by the WNBA despite her issues. She #5 at A&M in career 10+ games and #6 in 20+ games. She's #9 overall in career points. If she makes a few better decisions off the court at the end of last year we still might not have beaten FSU, but our memories of her would be very different.

Peyton is currently leading the Sooners at 13.1 ppg after averaging 10.9 and 12.6 in her RS-Jr and RS-So years. She's started for OU all 3 years. Her current average is a bit higher than CWill's senior year (12.5) but below CWill's other years (14.8, 13.9).

What I'm saying is that the hypothetical would be interesting in terms of a team being more or less than the sum of its parts. In isolation, I think CWill is a better player. Stats aside, to the extent that I've watched OU, CWill's ability to create her own shot is a big difference and why I think she got the national team invite and the draft pick. But even if she never sees a WNBA camp, Peyton might have made the Ags a better team. She might not be a better 3, but she's a lot better at shooting the 3, which we could have used against a lot of the zone D's we saw.

And my previous post was more about what that hypothetical might have meant for the team chemistry.
Isaih Smollett
Little is not even close to being a better player than Williams
biobioprof
machine20 said:

much more succinct than my reply!
czar_iv
AG
machine20 said:

I guess I was watching different games. Yes if everything is going great, Williams is better, but don't let Williams miss a shot or cause a turnover. She will dominate the ball and won't do anything else. She won't rebound; she won't play defense. Williams had a bad attitude with little maturity for 4 years. I'll take Peyton Little every day.
Rudybryan
Am I crazy or didn't she refuse to go into game when called upon by Gary?
Bucketrunner
Yes, she did. In the NCAA's at Reed.
Kbeauty63
AG
WOW! I didn't know that! Lowers my opinion of her (yes I know she could care less)
CEAg78
AG
Rudybryan said:

Am I crazy or didn't she refuse to go into game when called upon by Gary?
Wow. Missed that. Glad she left, then.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm not a big fan of focusing on players that leave. The focus needs to be on the team we have.
cedar
She was a huge loss. She didn't leave for any of the reasons stated above. She left for the same reasons Candace Wiggins just stated happened to her in the WNBA. Everyone close to the program knows that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.