Just My Opinion

2,964 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by RC II
RC II
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
I'm no expert but given the fact there are no Danielles, Sydneys or Courtneys on this team I believe that we may be witnessing Gary Blair's best "coaching job" since he's been here. Congrats to all on the win at Florida today.
Bucketrunner
They're certainly more fun to watch than the past couple of years. Love their teamwork
cs69ag
AG
The team has played 3 good games in a row, Seems to be excellent team work and chemistry. GB currently has the top rebounder, top scorer and top point guard in the SEC. The team seems to be improving. The team free throw % is excellent.

GB is playing the 6 players who have been in the program . In 2011 for the NC, he started all seniors and juniors. It appears that it takes awhile for the recruits and transfers to grasp all that GB expects and needs.Coach has said he has had to teach more this year. Will be interesting to see how we finish. Staying healthy in the top 6 players is as big a key as anything.
rc_cat
It has been good to see things start to turn around for this team. It still concerns me that if the game is close, Cooper is the only bench player to see any time. There's going to come a game or two when we need those bench players in a tight game and they're not going to know how to handle it due to lack of playing time. All it will take is too many fouls, an illness, injury, etc. and things won't be pretty.
Txroper
AG
rc_cat said:

It has been good to see things start to turn around for this team. It still concerns me that if the game is close, Cooper is the only bench player to see any time. There's going to come a game or two when we need those bench players in a tight game and they're not going to know how to handle it due to lack of playing time. All it will take is too many fouls, an illness, injury, etc. and things won't be pretty.
I agree with you 100%. You can add in the fact that these 6 girls will wear down by the time the tourney rolls around. This happens to my daughter in high school ball. She never comes off the floor and by the end of the year she is worn down. We are in a 2A school and we don't have much if anything of a bench plus she is avg 21 points a game.
greg.w.h
AG
I'm inclined to give the staff and team credit for building winning game plans and executing them. When they run into trouble they make adjustments.

I'm worried about the shorter rotation, but to a certain extent more work produces more endurance. Khalia is our biggest worry because our choices to replace her are limited. Curtyce on the other hand appears to be more physically ready for her senior year by a wide margin than she was in previous years. And it shows in both confidence and toughness.

I'd like the whole team to work more on shooting and specifically FTs. We look tentative and that's the opposite of confident.
cs69ag
AG
The team is hitting 76.2% on free throws ytd... 2nd best in SEC!
biobioprof

cs69ag said:

The team is hitting 76.2% on free throws ytd... 2nd best in SEC!
Not only that, their FT% is higher in conference play: .849. That's as a team. Last year, the team shot .707 from the FT line (.748 in SEC play).

For the season, Danni leads at .840, followed by Jaz at .839, and Tyce at .833. Khaalia is 4th on the team at .785 For comparison, since Blair has been here, the season leader in FT% was

2003-4 Tocarra Williams .677
2004-5 Morinike Atunrase .711
2005-6 Morinike Atunrase .704
2006-7 Danielle Gant .755
2007-8 Danielle Gant .800
2008-9 Danielle Gant .804
2009-10 Danielle Adams .717
2010-11 Sydney Carter .862
2011-12 Sydney Carter .819
2012-13 Kelsey Bone .641
2013-14 Karla Gilbert .712
2014-15 Courtney Walker .865
2015-16 Courtney Walker .856
mullokmotx
AG
The in conference record of the 5 teams we have played is 6 - 19. The in conference record of the 8 teams we have not played is 23 - 13. The competition is going to get better.
Last year Gary said every team's plan was to stop Courtney Walker. So far this year the other teams can't clamp down on any one player. Jasmine Lumpkin is showing more offense than I thought she had, and other than Khaalia, everyone has shown they can hit the mid range jumper. Curtyce and Danni have made some acrobatic shots in close.
biobioprof
mullokmotx said:

The in conference record of the 5 teams we have played is 6 - 19. The in conference record of the 8 teams we have not played is 23 - 13. The competition is going to get better.
Good point. That's .240. It's worse if you factor in that we lost to Georgia, so you could say that teams we have beaten in SEC play have a combined record of 4-16 (.200).

On the other hand, it's not clear how differently I would view the record if you subbed in, say, Bama and LSU for winless Florida and Vandy, or for 1-4 Arkansas. The 23-13 of the teams we haven't played is dominated by the 10-0 combined of Miss State and SCarolina. I think the preseason view of near parity below those two is holding up, where Tennessee is the biggest wild card.
Quote:

Last year Gary said every team's plan was to stop Courtney Walker. So far this year the other teams can't clamp down on any one player. Jasmine Lumpkin is showing more offense than I thought she had, and other than Khaalia, everyone has shown they can hit the mid range jumper. Curtyce and Danni have made some acrobatic shots in close.
If I was drawing up a plan to play us, I'd try to take away Curtyce. Not as a scorer, but as a ball handler and qb of the offense. Trap her and double team; try to deny her the ball, and try to isolate her on D to get her in foul trouble. But I don't know how many teams have the personnel to do that.
BQ_90
AG
I honestly can't figure out what we are or how good we could or can't be. Earlier in the year I'd say if Howard doesn't play good or fouls out we lose, but others on the team are stepping up.

I really like Knox leadership past couple games.

Seems though the team is getting better, now that might just be the competition we are playing
happy days
Road wins at Kentucky and Florida are nice.

Team has played 3 road games and 2 home games so far and record is 4-1. Don't know how good we are or are not, but this is better than I expected for this point in the season.

Is the team going to wear down as the season progresses? Maybe.

You just have to win games when you can. Tomorrow will just have to take care of itself.

Congrats to the entire team, but special congrats to Curtyce and Khaalia. Improvement from prior years is amazing. imo, Khaalia may be the best center of the Blair era, and that is saying a lot.
alamoaggie 64
Team chemistry appears to be really good. I did not enjoy watching the drama these last four years though Walker, Jennings and a couple of others were always fun to watch.
BQ92
AG
biobioprof said:

If I was drawing up a plan to play us, I'd try to take away Curtyce. Not as a scorer, but as a ball handler and qb of the offense. Trap her and double team; try to deny her the ball, and try to isolate her on D to get her in foul trouble. But I don't know how many teams have the personnel to do that.

I think that is what Florida tried and they forced her to commit 9 TOs. Thankfully it didn't have same outcome of Georgia
RC II
S
I haven't changed my mind. Really enjoying the improved play by Curtyce, Khaalia, Taylor C. and Danni!
lbasham
AG
Anriel Howard is a big key to our success and Jasmine Lumpkin has hit some key baskets as well. Number 9 recruiting class coming in will help us going forward.
SA68AG
AG
Good coaching includes good recruiting.
RC II
S
I didn't forget about Anriel H. just inadvertently forgot to include her name.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.