Which coach on staff?

2,722 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by sharpdressedman
GmanAgs2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which coach is responsible for working with our centers? Our post game has been atrocious since the departure of Kelsey Bone and just never seem to get better year to year!
DogCompany74
AG
Bob Starkey
Wicked Good Ag
They at times triple teamed Hillsman, and we don't have another true center in the rotation
When she got the ball down low with position and a single defender she was money...she wont ever be built to run the floor in quick transition

I think that Howard and Lumpkin were the key to this win...Williams got some points but FG percentage was terrible to the point you tell her "not your night" pass but I don't think that is her game

biobioprof
If you didn't see improvement in our posts over their careers, then you're not a very observant fan. Khaalia in particular is playing so much better this year it should be obvious. Was this a great game for Hillsman? No. But tonight despite clearly being a focus of Vandy's D, she only had a double double on 80% shooting with 1 turnover. How many times last year would you have been overjoyed with that line?

But I'm wondering if you're the clown in my section who spends every game yelling at Khaalia whenever someone else's man scores in the paint.
GmanAgs2012
First off I will concede that she has been "better" at times this year. Obviously tonight was nobody's night. It truly took the whole team to overcome sloppy play on both ends. But I will not concede that she has progressed to where she should be. I do not expect her to run the floor like a point guard but I also don't think that she should be winded 5 min into the game getting up and down the court in transition. Her entire career I have watched her get bullied inside by much smaller players and that is unacceptable. With her height and frame she should be dealing out punishment in the paint. I have watched her time and time again get into the paint and be unable to get position on much smaller defenders...THAT is what upsets me. She did not leave her feet for a rebound until the second half. She obviously did not have her head in the game. The most intensity I saw from her was at the end of the game when Vandy got called for a lane violation. Wilson at South Carolina is going to eat her alive. I do not recall her being double teamed at any point other than a few times that help rotated over when she got the ball down on the block. Now as far as being the "clown" that yells in your section...I am not. I sit amongst several folks who seem to also share my sentiment. But what do I know...I guess I should just start accepting mediocrity like the vast amount of other people around here.
Inca
AG
To be fair, Khalia does have asthma. She has improved this year. Is much better and not bringing the ball down before shooting or after grabbing a rebound. She still lacks toughness which was obvious last night. She usually dominates with a smaller player on her but is ineffective when guarded by anyone with enough size (which can be weight, not just height) to play her physically.
mullokmotx
AG
It looked like Vandy was doubling Khaalia without the ball and daring the other 4 players to beat them. I think she is finishing much better this year and that is why Curtyce leads the nation in assists. She had a good block int the 4th quarter.
MallalieuAg
AG
I don't understand how A&M has declined since winning the NC yet gaylor continues to be top 5.
bball73
That's bothered me for while too. I think I figured it out tho. Our NC success has been sustained - its just happening in Mississippi. Now if we could just get it back .......
biobioprof
bball73 said:

That's bothered me for while too. I think I figured it out tho. Our NC success has been sustained - its just happening in Mississippi. Now if we could just get it back .......
I love Vic and want him to succeed, but I'm thinking he would be nuts to come back here after Gary retires because the legend of what he has done both here and at MSU would be impossible to live up to.

MSU is on the rise, but he hasn't done it yet. And he may take a hit next year. There are a lot of key seniors on that team. Vivians and Morgan William are just juniors and McCowan is just a soph, but he's going to lose Dillinham, Richardson, Chapel, and Okorie, and they only have one freshman on scholarship and 3 recruits lined up for next year. It's Blair-like in that those are all guards.

wrt Baylor, I hate to say it, but Baylor's success reflects their long-term record under Mulkey, while our NC is more of an outlier from a norm of S16ish.

I've said before that I think the SEC move was not great for us for recruiting in Texas. Even without the move I wonder about what the recruiting landscape looks like. I'm not tuned in to Texas girls HS bball, but I do know that Odyssey Sims and Alexis Jones played at Irving McArthur where the long-term coach is a Baylor alum (looking at that Irving McArthur coach webpage, I'm wondering why they are calling Tara Vaderveer "infamous"). I wonder how many HS coaches are connected to Baylor, Texas, or A&M from before any of the current HCs were there. IIRC one of my neighbors who coached HS girls and is always at Reed for the old-timers events played at A&M but transferred to Baylor when she was in college.

In addition, given the difference between pro earning potential for men and women, I worry that the perception of declining academics matters more for WBB than elsewhere. And of course, I imagine that there is negative recruiting related to Gary's age. Brenda VanLengen mentioned on one of the broadcasts that people talked about Blair retiring before this season.
BanderaAg956
MallalieuAg said:

I don't understand how A&M has declined since winning the NC yet gaylor continues to be top 5.

Coaching, we lost Vic!
sharpdressedman
MallalieuAg said:

GB lost his top assistant to a well-deserved promotion, and he is clearly in the twilight of his career. The natural result of both is a decline in recruiting which quickly translates into diminished team performance. Baylor, OTOH, has enjoyed consistent, high-profile success under a coach, while close to reprehensible as an individual, is talented and not constantly rumored to be on the brink of retirement. JMO

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.