A&M Recruiting

6,988 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by biobioprof
HiddenAg2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
After all the discussion about the drop-off in recruiting, which I believe is real, I decided to go back and research our recruiting classes in the Blair era to give some context. Basically there have been 4 different eras in recruiting at A&M -- 2004-2006, 2007-2009, 2010-2012, and 2013-present. During the first era we recruited and signed mostly 3-star and a few low 4-star players that fit Vic's high pressure defensive system with super athletes that were not necessarily good shooters or pure basketball players. As we began to win more games and made the NCAA tournament, we started signing mostly mid to high 4-star players ranked in the Top 50-75 (this was the second era), which included Danielle Adams (JC #1), Tyra White, Sydney Colson, and Sydney Carter. This culminated in a national title in 2011. A&M peaked during the third era when A&M signed four 5-star recruits (Bone, Gilbert, Williams, Jones) and led to our best class ever in 2012 (#2 in the nation). This incredible run of success in recruiting began to decline after the departure of Vic and Johnny to MSU. And unfortunately we began to lose top recruits in the program to transfers, including Alexia Standish, Peyton Little, and Jada Terry. This coincided with the fourth era, where we find ourselves today. Most signees in this current era have been JC transfers or transfers from other schools, with a few Top 100 prospects as well. The 2016 class (with currently 1 Top 100 prospect) will be one of the weakest in the Blair era, probably only better than the 2006 class. That is not an encouraging sign, although I will admit that the 2015 class that includes A. Howard and D. Williams looks capable.

After this season, A&M's oldest signees still on campus for next season will be Curtyce Knox (2012), a backup PG, and Taylor Cooper (2013), a little used transfer off the bench. It's scary to think about how bad things could get next year with little experience and unknown recruits coming in to fill out the roster. The good news is that the 2017 class is absolutely loaded in the state of Texas yet again (we whiffed on everyone in 2016) with no fewer than 7 Top 25 elite prospects nationally. Blair absolutely must sign at least 2 of those prospects if A&M is going to remain in the top half of the SEC in the future.

Here's a look at A&M's recruiting classes over the years (I may have missed a few folks):

> Morenike Atunrase (#111, 3-star)
> A'Quonesia Franklin (3-star)
> LaToya Gulley (3-star)
> Patrice Reado (3-star)
> Katy Pounds (3-star)
> Ashley Bolden (3-star)

> La Toya Micheaux (Top 100, 4-star)
> Takia Starks (Top 100, 4-star)
> Danielle Gant (Top 100, 4-star)
> Lenka Zimova (JC transfer)
> Brittany Toran (unknown) - left program

> Adrian McGowen (Top 100, 4-star) - left program
> Katrina Limbaha (3-star)
> Damitria Buchanan (3-star)

> Tyra White (#17, 5-star)
> Sydney Colson (#29, 4-star)
> Maryann Baker (3-star)

> Tanisha Smith (JC #5)
> Skylar Collins (#44, 4-star)
> Adaora Elonu (#49, 4-star)
> Kelsey Assarian (#54, 4-star)
> Sydney Carter (#63, 4-star)
> Taniqua Hollis (2-star) - left program

> Danielle Adams (JC #1)
> Kristi Bellock (#29, 4-star)
> Diamond Ashmore (#48, 4-star) - left program
> Adrienne Pratcher (#60, 4-star)
> Cierra Windham (#98, 4-star)

> Kelsey Bone (#2, 5-star, transfer)
> Karla Gilbert (#9, 5-star)
> Kristen Grant (#72, 4-star)

> Tori Scott (#23, 4-star)
> Alexia Standish (#30, 4-star) - left program
> Rachel Mitchell (#41, 4-star)

> Courtney Williams (#10, 5-star)
> Jordan Jones (#15, 5-star)
> Peyton Little (#30, 4-star) - left program
> Courtney Walker (#32, 4-star)
> Chelsea Jennings (#45, 4-star)
> Curtyce Knox (#73, 4-star)

> Jada Terry (#56, 4-star) - left program
> Achiri Ade (#92, 4-star, JC transfer)
> Tavarsha Scott-Williams (3-star, JC transfer)
> Taylor Cooper (3-star, transfer)

> Khaalia Hillsman (#47, 4-star)
> Shlonte Allen (JC #2)

> Danni Williams (#35, 4-star)
> Jasmine Lumpkin (#53, 4-star, transfer)
> Anriel Howard (3-star)

> ArLeighshya McElroy (#63, 4-star)
> Aahliyah Jackson (3-star)
> Rakell Spencer (3-star)
> Jasmine Williams (3-star)
greg.w.h
AG
Thanks Hidden. Great post.
biobioprof
Hidden, what are you using for the older rankings? I couldn't figure out how to go back that far in ESPN/Hoopgurlz. The oldest top 100 I can find is from 2008. I think people like ProspectsNation rankings now, but I think they weren't around then.

Hoopgurlz for 2008 has
Elonu #35
Assarian #100
Carter, Collins, and Hollis unranked

For 2009 and after your numbers agree with Hoopgurlz, but they don't have the JUCO rankings.
HiddenAg2
Most of the earlier rankings come from Michael White's All-Star Girls Report, which was widely referenced by media at the time. Then I switched over to HoopGurlz when ESPN got involved in recruiting full time in 2009. Now they use Dan Olson's Collegiate Girls Basketball Report, which they started using in 2014. Obviously there is some disagreement with a few prospects between the services, but not much difference anyway. I had to do a lot of research online through old archives, etc to find the early recruiting classes and rankings. I just wanted all this to be on the record for future discussions.
ContinentalAg
I think Vic had a good eye for what type of player was needed for his system. Our recruiting hasn't seemed as tied into our style since he left.
biobioprof
Nice work overall, Hidden. I've tried to find old recruiting info myself and I know it's a pain. A couple of comments.

I think part of the disagreement we've had in other threads has to do with how we assess the average recruiting in each of your phases. I should emphasize that I agree that recruiting is down. I think where we disagree is in

• You think it's a bigger drop than I do. The difference is mainly in how we evaluate your phase 2 and 3. I don't think the highs under Vic were as high or that the current recruiting is quite the disaster that you do.
  • We disagree to some extent on how much should be attributed to Vic and Johnnie leaving

A lot of the first point has to do with how we view the current seniors, which account for half of the 5 stars and had 4 additional 4 stars. I think it's a great group, but there are problems with basing the analysis on them. First is whether it's the culmination of a building trend or an outlier due to the halo effect of the 2011 NC. The second is that the ranking probably overvalued the class. Outside of UConn's ridiculous #1 class for that year (Stewie, MoJeff, Tuck), it looks to me like the 2012 classes at other top schools added smaller numbers of very good players, but no other cohorts like ours the top 2. But our cohort was unbalanced. With 6 recruits for the 1, 2, and 3 positions, the class was in danger of losing transfers from the moment they arrived, and that depth at guard made losing Lexi not very significant.

How strong was the trend before Vic left? Was it still going up prior to the NC or had we just reached a better plateau than phase 1? Over the years we've had significant contributions from transfers and JUCOs. While Vic was still here: Adams, Bone, and Tanisha Smith were all great to have, but their contributions reflect misses in recruiting the freshman classes. Similarly, post-Vic, Achiri and Tavarsha were needed to fill the positional gaps in that #2 2012 class.

How bad is it now? I think we agree that having 1 freshman in each of 2012 and 2013 is bad, especially with Jada transferring, leaving Khaalia as the sole player who came in as a fish over 2 years. I think it's improving. I think Danni and Anriel will have nice careers at A&M. ProspectsNation has the 2016 class at #25.

With regard to the second point, I think we probably would not have dropped off as much in recruiting if Vic and Johnnie were still here. Amy spent the previous years recruiting a very different territory as an assistant at Arizona State. I'm not sure whether the changes have affected how much of a role Kelly plays in recruiting. But aside from the fact that you want opportunities for your assistants, I think we would have had trouble with recruiting even if they were still here.

As I've said before, one reason is that I think the SEC move was not good for WBB recruiting, especially with Baylor and Texas not wanting to play us home and home. Look where we are losing the transfers to: Standish to TCU. Little to OU. Terry to Tech. They're all going places where it's easier for their families and HS friends to get to games. One thing this led me to wonder about is how the rest of the SEC does at recruiting Texas players. So I searched the Hoopgurlz top 100s for Texas HS players since we got to the SEC. Only 3 commits out of 36 total players went to SEC schools. Two are to us, and that counts Jada, who ended up at Tech and McElroy who is a 2016 commit. The other is McCowan, who was a very late commit who, IIRC, was going to go to Cincinnati before Vic offered her a spot late.

More Texas players ended up at UCLA than at other SEC schools! And this is after the period where UConn and Stanford were grabbing top players from Texas.

Now, I don't know how many of these girls we were targeting. Baylor is an elite recruiting program, notwithstanding how we all hate Kim Mulkey. The great job Karen Alston is doing at Texas doesn't help us. But TCU is getting a top 10 class, according to ProspectsNation.

#31 Imani Wright - Baylor
# 48 Aurjane'e Alix - TCU
#53 Diamond Lockhart - Tech
#56 Jada Terry - TAMU
#58 Nekia Jones - Texas
#64 Christen Inman - Northwestern
# 78 Jada Butts - TCU
#82 Breanna Hayden - Baylor
#87 LaBrittney Jones - Arizona
#99 Candace Adams - N. Texas

#3 Brianna Turner - ND
#3 Ariel Atkins - Texas
#15 McKenzie Calvert - USCw
#19 Recee' Caldwell - UCLA
#29 Brooke McCarty - Texas
#56 Terriel Bradley - Kansas

#7 Lashann Higgs - Texas
#9 Kyra Lambert - Duke
#16 Jordan Hosey - Texas
#22 Ashley Hearn - UCLA
#45 Teaira McCowan - Miss St.
#50 Jordan Moore - TCU
#66 Alexandra Gulley - Baylor
#86 Japreece Dean - Tech
#98 Erin DeGrate - Louisville

#1 Lauren Cox - Baylor
#2 Joyner Holmes - Texas
#8 Natalie Chou - Baylor
#12 Nancy Mulkey - OU
#13 Amber Ramirez - TCU
#15 Ciera Johnson - Louisville
#40 Calveion Landrum - Baylor
#63 Arleighshya McElroy - TAMU
#87 Natasha Mack - Houston
#97 Brittany Brewer - Tech
#100 Kianna Ray - TCU

Edit to add: One thing that shocked me was seeing that Tennessee has zero commits for 2016. The potbangers among Lady Vol fans are not happy about that.
HiddenAg2
quote:
A lot of the first point has to do with how we view the current seniors, which account for half of the 5 stars and had 4 additional 4 stars. I think it's a great group, but there are problems with basing the analysis on them. First is whether it's the culmination of a building trend or an outlier due to the halo effect of the 2011 NC. The second is that the ranking probably overvalued the class. Outside of UConn's ridiculous #1 class for that year (Stewie, MoJeff, Tuck), it looks to me like the 2012 classes at other top schools added smaller numbers of very good players, but no other cohorts like ours the top 2. But our cohort was unbalanced. With 6 recruits for the 1, 2, and 3 positions, the class was in danger of losing transfers from the moment they arrived, and that depth at guard made losing Lexi not very significant.
I agree that our 2012 class was probably a bit overrated, especially when you factor in chemistry and personality issues, etc. And we did sign too many guards at the expense of 4s and 5s. I strongly disagree about Lexi because the last few years we desperately needed a viable and consistent 3-point shooter, which is why we haven't been a complete team and struggled to score enough points to beat elite teams.

quote:
How strong was the trend before Vic left? Was it still going up prior to the NC or had we just reached a better plateau than phase 1? Over the years we've had significant contributions from transfers and JUCOs. While Vic was still here: Adams, Bone, and Tanisha Smith were all great to have, but their contributions reflect misses in recruiting the freshman classes. Similarly, post-Vic, Achiri and Tavarsha were needed to fill the positional gaps in that #2 2012 class.
This is a good point, I agree we had to go the JUCO route too much due to not signing balanced classes with depth.

quote:
How bad is it now? I think we agree that having 1 freshman in each of 2012 and 2013 is bad, especially with Jada transferring, leaving Khaalia as the sole player who came in as a fish over 2 years. I think it's improving. I think Danni and Anriel will have nice careers at A&M. ProspectsNation has the 2016 class at #25.
The 2013 and 2014 classes were disastrous, no doubt. But having large numbers in one class (2012) didn't give us much margin for error. We don't have a single high school signee left from the 2013 class, which is truly ridiculous and poor roster management.

quote:
As I've said before, one reason is that I think the SEC move was not good for WBB recruiting, especially with Baylor and Texas not wanting to play us home and home. Look where we are losing the transfers to: Standish to TCU. Little to OU. Terry to Tech. They're all going places where it's easier for their families and HS friends to get to games.
I don't think A&M should be in a position of having to make excuses for poor recruiting due to moving to the SEC. While it's true there are more games outside the state on the schedule, we still have a lot of home games that should be enough to attract recruits that want their families to attend games. The rest of the SEC is irrelevant, A&M is located in the state of Texas and should recruit well here.

Baylor and Texas are recruiting at a high level now, especially Texas. I believe they could be the next elite program nationally and challenge UConn for titles every year. We had our run, now the Horns are about to take over the state because they have an elite coach and recruiter in Aston. The only thing that might slow it down is getting Vic back as HC in the next few years. But I think it's not unreasonable to expect A&M to sign at least 1 Top 25 prospect every year with our recent run of success that includes a national title. Our current recruiting is just not good enough to maintain a Top 15-20 program, let alone compete for another Final Four run.

Also, I wasn't too familiar with ProspectsNation but it does look like a good recruiting site. We can use those rankings as well going forward. They do have A&M's current class ranked a bit higher than ESPN so that's encouraging. But it's still well behind the pace of Baylor and Texas, and now even TCU.
cs69ag
AG
t.u., bu and TCU all have women head coaches. Other than Geno. UK and now Arky, not too many men head coaches in wbb.
Those 6 are all good.

I don't think losing Lexi hurt that much...she quit TCU too and never regained her game after the last knee injury.
I don't think losing Peyton hurt all that much. She had one big game for the Ags when she hit 6-7 3 balls.
Would never have started here...fits in fine at OU.

Blair's age and the starters the recruits would play behind for the last 3 yrs has hurt recruiting...both points used against him in recruiting.

The lack of complete players at the 4 and 5 positions have held the team back the last two years.
We have been good enough on the perimeter. I'm tired of 5 players who can't run the court, who can't move and jump off the floor for rebounds, who can't make a shot from 3 feet without dribbling the ball, who can't catch entry passes and who are a turnover waiting to happen. We also need one coach who can coach a post player.

We may have also lost some recruits who don't like such a structured O that doesn't seem to be much fun or very effective. To me the teams that actually run a motion offense, shoot the 3 ball and have balance at all 5 positions are having fun and winning.
biobioprof
Ohio State is also doing well with a male HC. FWIW, Kevin McGuff went to tOSU from Washington, where he had been hired away from Xavier by our new AD. Scott Woodward replaced McGuff with another male coach for the Huskie women.
biobioprof
quote:
quote:
As I've said before, one reason is that I think the SEC move was not good for WBB recruiting, especially with Baylor and Texas not wanting to play us home and home. Look where we are losing the transfers to: Standish to TCU. Little to OU. Terry to Tech. They're all going places where it's easier for their families and HS friends to get to games.
I don't think A&M should be in a position of having to make excuses for poor recruiting due to moving to the SEC. While it's true there are more games outside the state on the schedule, we still have a lot of home games that should be enough to attract recruits that want their families to attend games. The rest of the SEC is irrelevant, A&M is located in the state of Texas and should recruit well here.

Baylor and Texas are recruiting at a high level now, especially Texas. I believe they could be the next elite program nationally and challenge UConn for titles every year. We had our run, now the Horns are about to take over the state because they have an elite coach and recruiter in Aston. The only thing that might slow it down is getting Vic back as HC in the next few years. But I think it's not unreasonable to expect A&M to sign at least 1 Top 25 prospect every year with our recent run of success that includes a national title. Our current recruiting is just not good enough to maintain a Top 15-20 program, let alone compete for another Final Four run.
In addition to the travel issues for seeing their daughters' games, our in-state recruiting probably was helped by how Blair was beating Texas and Tech regularly head to head in conference. But even without the W-L, the rivalries being more local affects the fan interest and attendance. If you look at our attendance history in the media guide, of the top home crowds since 1998, 4 of the top 10 are vs. Baylor, and only 1 is vs an SEC team (LSU in 2013). Yes, there are other factors in there, but SEC vs B12 is not at all the same as in football.

We agree that Aston was a great hire for Texas. I suspect that a big difference from Goestenkoers is in having built up a lot of long-term relationships with the HS and AAU scene in the state going back past her days at UNT to when she was an assistant at both Texas and Baylor. I didn't realize until I checked her wikipedia entry that her time at Baylor goes back to when Sonja Hogg was the HC.

quote:
Also, I wasn't too familiar with ProspectsNation but it does look like a good recruiting site. We can use those rankings as well going forward. They do have A&M's current class ranked a bit higher than ESPN so that's encouraging. But it's still well behind the pace of Baylor and Texas, and now even TCU.

IIRC, I heard about ProspectsNation based on something I read at either Swish Appeal or one of the other WBB sites such as the UConn fans site, the Boneyard. I think it's run by people who used to work at some other respected site.
Txroper
AG
Standish was burned out. Her dad was soooo hard on her.
It was surprising that Payton came to a&m to start with even by her family who are mostly Longhorns. Not surprising she left.
Blair has recruited talent but not players with team chemistry.
Baylor has great ties into the Texas United club that Cox played for and that club really pushes Baylor and they have a lot of good players so Baylor gets first dibs on them.
Texas lost their best recruiter when she took the head job at North Texas. Texas may take a dip now and there is a lot of talk amongst the girls about North Texas.
I coach select basketball for Texas Elite so I hear lots of recruiting stories.
cs69ag
AG
yes, there are other men's coaches including the Ole Miss coach. I think some recruits prefer playing for a woman. Just one of many factors in a recruits's decision process. Personally, I like the fact that Walker and Jennings are both getting very good degrees from TAMU and that was a major factor in their decisions.
HiddenAg2
It will be interesting to see how the general A&M fan base reacts to the decline of the women's program because I don't think many folks realize how bare the cupboard is after this year due to the lack of recruiting elite prospects. I think if Blair is going to be successful going forward, he needs to make a staff change and replace someone with the absolute best recruiter in this area of the country that knows the AAU scene and has many connections with high school coaches, etc. That would help level the playing field against Texas and Baylor on the recruiting trail.
cs69ag
AG
^ Great point re AAU contacts...sure worked for our Men's program. I know GB tries to close the deal with recruits, but I wonder how good a job the staff is doing prior to that time.
brotheraggie
quote:
Thanks Hidden. Great post.
Good Bull!!
mgreen
If Anriel is a 3 star I will take more three stars.
Rudybryan
GUESS WHAT WE ARE NOT THE ONLY PROGRAM

Crystal Dangerfield is a do-it-all point guard who has won back-to-back Gatorade Player of the Year awards in her state. She has won two international gold medals with USA Basketball and two state titles with her high school team. She's the top-ranked point guard in the senior class, and is considered the No. 3 prospect nationally, No. 1 in her state.

And she's symbolic of a cause for anxiety among Lady Vols fans. Her home state is Tennessee, but she doesn't plan on wearing orange in college.

Dangerfield, from Blackman High in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, will go to UConn. Dangerfield made it official in November, becoming the first Tennessee native to sign to play for coach Geno Auriemma.

That isn't the only recruiting disappointment for Tennessee, though. As of now, the Lady Vols have no commitments from the senior class of 2016.
HiddenAg2
That is one example of one player in one state. Big loss for Tennessee but not shocking considering it's UConn. A&M is consistently missing out on the top 4-5 players in Texas every year now.
Houstonag
AG
No excuse for us not recruiting well. I hope the new AD discusses this with Blair and his plan of action to address the shortfall.
mentorsubsea
AG
I know Coach Blair won the national championship but is his age being used against him on the recruiting trail? MSU with Vic Schaffer is top 5 team. I think we lost a little defensive edge when he left.

Who is a up and comer in the woman's basketball profession? It just seems that top woman basketball coaches do not move around.
Rudybryan
quote:
It just seems that top woman basketball coaches do not move around.
You r right

Kim will die at Baylor

Sherrie C will die at OU

Geno dies at UCONN

Muffet McGraw has been at Notre Dame since 1987

Tara dies at Stanford

Joanne P. McCallie at Duke

I don't see Dawn Stanley leaving South Carolina

Brenda Frese is a prefect fit at Maryland

I know everyone wants Vic to come to Aggieland when Gary retires but he
has worked his ass off at Miss State.......he is playing to full houses
he has built such a great foundation ...he has his team ranked #10 with
the basketball world at his feet.......if I was him I would think long and hard.
As a friend I am so proud of what he has accomplished.....and I laugh when I
see Gary's offensive plays being run.......Vic built his fan base using Gary's tactics
going all over town and standing on the street corners....but he's filling his arena.
I know he's an Aggie and it would be his dream job but I think timing would
have alot to do with his decision.

Jim Littell, 2011present; took over in November 2011 after the death of Kurt Budke in a 2011 plane crash.
Those of us who have been around awhile remember this day oh so well.......our hearts sank ....
Kurt was a great guy with alot of passion and he was fun to watch. That school has gone through more than their share of heart break but Jim did a hell of a job holding that team together......that school loves him and he is going no place......

Bill Fennelly is the head women's basketball coach at ISU In March 2007, Fennelly inked a "lifetime" contract with the Cyclones to continue as head coach for the remainder of his career. Gary has always said he could run for governor and win. I do miss the Big 12 sometimes.......Bill was another coach that was fun to watch.

biobioprof
Established coaches at top places tend to stay, but not always. In the list you posted, McCallie started at Maine and spend 7 years at Mich State before moving to Duke in 2007. That was prompted by Gail Goestenkoers going from Duke to Texas. Brenda Frese got to Maryland by way of Ball State and Minnesota. It was a different era, but Stanford is Tara's third HC job. She started at Idaho and came to Stanford from Ohio State in 1985. Vivian Stringer made the final 4 at Iowa before moving to Rutgers.

And of course, Gary moved from Arkansas to here.

In the younger group, in addition to Frese (45) and McCallie (50), Nikki Fargas (formerly Caldwell; 43) moved from UCLA to LSU. Kevin McGuff (45) at Ohio State was at Xavier and Washington before moving to Columbus.

I agree with Rudy that there is no guarantee that Vic (age 54) would come back when Gary finally retires, and I'm not sure I would advise him to. Why follow a legend and be compared to Gary when he's building his own legend at Miss State. Don't forget that his daughter is a soph on his current team. And there's the basic problem that if Hidden is correct that this will become a rebuilding job, then it becomes less attractive to someone who has a top 10 program at their current job.

If the AD looks to coaches with connections to the Blair tree, I'm wondering if Kelly or Aqua would be more likely as candidates than Vic. But if Blair retires on his watch, who knows if he'll go to an outsider.
Bucketrunner
I would imagine Blair will have a significant say in who replaces him, and we could do a lot worse than Kelly. I loved the way she ran the game last year when Blair was sick.
Rudybryan
I know Kelly has paid her dues and has earned the chance to be considered when the slot becomes available.

PowerSpread
HIdden,
How did you get this info? I just emailed with Bret at ASGR and he said they don't keep archives of their recruiting lists. I recommended they should attempt to do this someday as I think there would be more interest in this type of info in the future as WBB becomes more popular.

Can you give me any ideas on how to come up with old recruiting lists?

Thanks!
PowerSpread
Hidden,
I didn't think the "star" system was in use prior to ESPN Hoopgurlz?
PowerSpread
I did find that A'Quonesia Franklin was supposedly a #248 player in the country. Not sure that was as high as Pounds or Gulley. I know she wasn't as highly ranked as Bolden and Reado. Bolden was #11PG so she was the highest rated in the class. (not sure of her overall rank)
PowerSpread
Bolden was dismissed from the team after her first year. Don't know if she played anywhere else
biobioprof
PowerSpread said:

Hidden,
I didn't think the "star" system was in use prior to ESPN Hoopgurlz?
This reply was to the wrong post?

Wondering why the bump from 2016, though.
PowerSpread
I was actually trying to reply to Hidden, who started the thread, but clicking reply under his post doens't seem to reply directly to his post?

I am doing some research on the unpredictability and chaotic nature of recruiting in building or rebuilding a program. TexasAM WBB is just one great example. It is a struggle finding recruiting lists before 2008 Hoopgurlz. My research led me to this thread. Great info at the top from Hidden.

Id love for a reply back from him. Any tips on finding old recruiting lists. I actually contacted one of the creators of all star girls report. Along with Blue Star, these were the 2 big recruiting services on WBB before ESPN's Hoopgurlz became the main resource. I was told that ASGR doesn't keep archived lists. And from what I could find, Blue Star doesn't as well.

So, Hidden, if you see this, or anyone else for that matter, let me know any tips for finding old recruiting lists in WBB! Thanks!
Rudybryan
reach out for Simmie Colson Girlz Prep-Report
Aggie1205
AG
It would be interesting if some Ag with some spare time and research/connections would work on some updates on some of the players from like 04-11. Not so much the players that left but what former players like Reado and Aqua are up to.

It would be even better if we could get some of those past stars to post on here........
biobioprof
PowerSpread said:

I was actually trying to reply to Hidden, who started the thread, but clicking reply under his post doens't seem to reply directly to his post?

I am doing some research on the unpredictability and chaotic nature of recruiting in building or rebuilding a program. TexasAM WBB is just one great example. It is a struggle finding recruiting lists before 2008 Hoopgurlz. My research led me to this thread. Great info at the top from Hidden.

Id love for a reply back from him. Any tips on finding old recruiting lists. I actually contacted one of the creators of all star girls report. Along with Blue Star, these were the 2 big recruiting services on WBB before ESPN's Hoopgurlz became the main resource. I was told that ASGR doesn't keep archived lists. And from what I could find, Blue Star doesn't as well.

So, Hidden, if you see this, or anyone else for that matter, let me know any tips for finding old recruiting lists in WBB! Thanks!
Not sure what you clicked, but I noticed because the forum thinks you were replying to me.

Interesting topic. It's not clear how much people tracked WBB recruiting before 2008 but I sometimes can find old stuff using the internet wayback machine https://archive.org

One thing that makes it harder just for AggieWBB is how horrible the 12thman.com website is to look up old material. There are lots of broken links on the History section. But for reconstructing rosters, the media guide has career stats for players active after 2000, and starting lineups going back to 1977.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.