Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Capital loss carryover

2,427 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Baby Billy
Bird Poo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Say I had a significant stock loss in 2022. Does anyone know if Turbo Tax tracks capital loss carryover over multiple years? Should I hire a tax man?

Back to index fund investing for me.
Bonfire97
AG
It provides you a carry over worksheet to put in the forms next year. Same as what the tax guy provides.
JamesBREI06
AG
Not an accountant, but I suggest if you are carrying a loss to hire one. Most accountants should be able to show you how to save more on taxes than there bill.
one safe place
Retired CPA and used much more costly software than Turbo Tax but if you are comfortable with doing your own return, I would assume that Turbo Tax should keep up with the carryover year to year. You need to understand the rules as to how you can use a capital loss carryover (and the rules for that are not complex) and then verify that the software is treating it as you understand it should be treated.
Spaceship
AG
Turbo Tax did mine perfectly today actually - seemed to work well.
Bird Poo
AG
Spaceship said:

Turbo Tax did mine perfectly today actually - seemed to work well.
Thank you. I'm wondering if it will remember carry over loss balances and apply them to future year gains?

Perhaps I need to reach out to the Turbo folks.
Ag CPA
AG
Thanks to working in O&G I have carried capital losses on and off for years and Turbo Tax handles it fine, it's not a complicated process to track.

ETA: The software does a good job in the dashboard of showing the PY carry over amount and changes made in the current year so that you can get comfortable with the roll forward math.
Baby Billy
AG
Bird Poo said:

Say I had a significant stock loss in 2022. Does anyone know if Turbo Tax tracks capital loss carryover over multiple years? Should I hire a tax man?

What do index funds have to do with it?
EnviroAg96
AG
TT does keep track of the carryover losses or whatever it is called. I think it's like $3,000 a year you can carry over in general, and the software will just deduct that amount each year until you use it up or offset it with gains (if I remember right).
Bird Poo
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

Bird Poo said:

What do index funds have to do with it?

I suck at trading stocks
2wealfth Man
AG
Turbo Tax will pull all your data from your prior years return (including loss carry forwards) assuming you use it from year to year.
strbrst777
The $3000 annual limit is absurd...a loss is a loss. i do not know when the limit was set at $3000, but it has not changed in many years. The IRS is in my view has way too much power. Thank the politicians for letting the IRS and other bureaucrats run roughshod over us citizens. Congress passes laws and bureaucrats write hundreds if not thousands of pages of regulations to suit their whims and agendas.
RockOn
strbrst777 said:

The $3000 annual limit is absurd...a loss is a loss. i do not know when the limit was set at $3000, but it has not changed in many years. The IRS is in my view has way too much power. Thank the politicians for letting the IRS and other bureaucrats run roughshod over us citizens. Congress passes laws and bureaucrats write hundreds if not thousands of pages of regulations to suit their whims and agendas.
neutics
AG
EnviroAg96 said:

TT does keep track of the carryover losses or whatever it is called. I think it's like $3,000 a year you can carry over in general, and the software will just deduct that amount each year until you use it up or offset it with gains (if I remember right).
$3,000 is the max offset against ordinary income per year. The actual capital loss carryover is unlimited I believe.
Furlock Bones
AG
strbrst777 said:

Yep it is completely absurd that the value has not been adjusted.
AggieMainland
I dont think "IRS has too much power" is the issue. The issue is politicians that LOVE to make promises about the tax code when running for office but doing the bare minimum while in office. Both parties. Rather fight over BS in hopes to win reelection vs trying to do the right thing and making the process better. (this is true about a number of issues...not only taxes)

edit: The IRS may also have too much power. I'm not saying they do or do not. But thats not the biggest issue.
2wealfth Man
AG
Nowadays tax changes only get done as last minute band-aids on Dec 31. No one can agree on anything of substance. We have a big light coming at us through the tunnel in a few years when the estate tax exemption is scheduled to go back to the old exemption levels absent congressional action.
Baby Billy
AG
2wealfth Man said:

Nowadays tax changes only get done as last minute band-aids on Dec 31. No one can agree on anything of substance. We have a big light coming at us through the tunnel in a few years when the estate tax exemption is scheduled to go back to the old exemption levels absent congressional action.

Yeah. It'll be a good time to be an estate attorney
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.