Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Intel - That Stings...

3,588 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dill-Ag13
evan_aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Gotta hand it to Pat Gelsinger milking America out of $50B for homemade chips while the company continues to bleed talent, money, patience.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
LMFAO. Literally all of their talent is going to bail as soon as they possibly can. Losers.

Life advice - if a company you work for ever cuts salaries, get out.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Dill-Ag13
AG
CEO can take a bigger cut that 25%. Is this to avoid layoffs?
evan_aggie
AG
My guess is they'll lay off 10,000-15,000 over the coming 18 months to hit $10B annual savings.

Honestly with their stock so beaten down, not sure why not just cut dividend by half. $5b to $6b a year in dividends.
Leeman
They did this so they could pay the dividend.
Petrino1
$30,000 Millionaire said:

LMFAO. Literally all of their talent is going to bail as soon as they possibly can. Losers.

Where can they go? All of the other tech companies are in the same boat and laying off tens of thousands.
evan_aggie
AG
Almost every company, even during layoffs, throws out a net to see if they can snag a big fish that decided to finally wander in new waters.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
ea1060 said:

Where can they go? All of the other tech companies are in the same boat and laying off tens of thousands.
Do you really believe that?

The A+ players can always get jobs.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Captain Winky
The good ones go out and find another job because they are good. The losers stay because they can't find another job and the overall talent takes a dip.
QBCade
AG
evan_aggie said:

Gotta hand it to Pat Gelsinger milking America out of $50B for homemade chips while the company continues to bleed talent, money, patience.

25%, what a joke. I believe he made $175M in 2021. I know a lot of that was from his package that they had to give him to leave VMWare, but sheesh.
Aggie95
AG
So what happens when they can't build their new Ohio plant? Or worse yet, China waits until plant produces first chip and drops global pricing by 30%+?
Daytona22
AG
This looks very similar to what several oil and gas companies were doing a couple of years ago during the downturn.
Leeman
The cut in 401k matching is brutal.
evestor1
Aggie95 said:

So what happens when they can't build their new Ohio plant? Or worse yet, China waits until plant produces first chip and drops global pricing by 30%+?

A good friend of mine works on their construction group. They shelved his chip plant project and put him in maintenance. He is now coming back to pipelining.
Ag92NGranbury
AG

ea1060 said:

i saw a lot of A+ tech players riding the bench in 2000
Rydyn
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

ea1060 said:

i saw a lot of A+ tech players riding the bench in 2000
Yeah. I'll get roasted on here for this because everyone is an internet badass behind a keyboard, but a lot of A+ tech guys aren't great at the networking and interview skills that it takes to get a job. I'd go as far as say that most HR people at tech companies couldn't even understand my resume if I included all the "A+" stuff on it.
IslandAg76
AG
When a company goes in the dumper, like Intel has, it isn't just the head guy who isn't producing.

Tough spot for a once great company..and, I'm a long term stock holder hoping they turn it around.
evan_aggie
AG
IslandAg76 said:

When a company goes in the dumper, like Intel has, it isn't just the head guy who isn't producing.

Tough spot for a once great company..and, I'm a long term stock holder hoping they turn it around.

I disagree. The top level strategic decisions about company acquisitions, strategies, etc can kill everything normal employees work on.

htxag09
AG
Nm
Ag92NGranbury
AG
i think that you meant 2020 :-)
htxag09
AG
Ag92NGranbury said:

i think that you meant 2020 :-)

I'm an idiot. Ignore me and carry on
HECUBUS
AG
Spent some good years at Intel. By 2015, it was obvious they lost their process mojo. It is almost a Motorola level collapse that started from the top.

All my inside Intel news comes from a competitor's point of view for the last five years. Hopefully, it's not as bad as it seems.
jh0400
AG
I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see more companies announce lower salaries for management in the coming months on top of continued layoffs. Overall the run up in tech salaries fueled by a near endless supply of VC funding is long-term unsustainable. A lot of companies were able to raise before funding dried up and should be sitting on 12+ months of runway. Once that starts to dry up you'll see more labor cost cuts as companies that are left for dead by their investors start to do anything they can to stay in business another day. I expect you'll also see more M&A from sponsors and we'll-capitalized strategics coming in to pick over the scraps.
QBCade
AG
jh0400 said:

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see more companies announce lower salaries for management in the coming months on top of continued layoffs. Overall the run up in tech salaries fueled by a near endless supply of VC funding is long-term unsustainable. A lot of companies were able to raise before funding dried up and should be sitting on 12+ months of runway. Once that starts to dry up you'll see more labor cost cuts as companies that are left for dead by their investors start to do anything they can to stay in business another day. I expect you'll also see more M&A from sponsors and we'll-capitalized strategics coming in to pick over the scraps.

I wouldn't expect to see salary cuts to public tech companies. Frankly, that is the kiss of death for morale and forward hiring. Startup / Private may go that ways as they can entice with stock options. IMO, Intel is hosed unless they completely change mgmt. Top tier employees will leave and they won't be able to fill with same caliber talent as nobody wants to work where you get salary cuts. Doomed
jh0400
AG
QBCade said:

jh0400 said:

I wouldn't expect to see salary cuts to public tech companies. Frankly, that is the kiss of death for morale and forward hiring. Startup / Private may go that ways as they can entice with stock options. IMO, Intel is hosed unless they completely change mgmt. Top tier employees will leave and they won't be able to fill with same caliber talent as nobody wants to work where you get salary cuts. Doomed

The reality in tech is that more people will be able to keep their jobs at a lower rate, or there will be fewer people employed at the inflated rates that came from the last two years. Privates are in the same river, different boat. In order to entice new hires they will need to bring down their 409a valuations which penalize people that have been there a while. At IPO or change of control it's likely that there will be a middle tranche of employees that are underwater on their options if they were granted in 2020-21. There really is no good outcome here, but one way or the other the labor market will find it's way back to some sort of equilibrium.
QBCade
AG
jh0400 said:

QBCade said:

jh0400 said:

The reality in tech is that more people will be able to keep their jobs at a lower rate, or there will be fewer people employed at the inflated rates that came from the last two years. Privates are in the same river, different boat. In order to entice new hires they will need to bring down their 409a valuations which penalize people that have been there a while. At IPO or change of control it's likely that there will be a middle tranche of employees that are underwater on their options if they were granted in 2020-21. There really is no good outcome here, but one way or the other the labor market will find it's way back to some sort of equilibrium.

Yes, for the majority of companies it will mean fewer employees total. Or, they will layoff higher comped employees and rehire at lower wage. My point is that giving out pay cuts kills morale and ability to hire.
evan_aggie
AG
QBCade said:

jh0400 said:

Boggles my mind they'd cut salary for everyone vs just drop the bottom 10%. It would be such an Intel move to do that in the name of fairness and equity for all. Just a terrible decision all around.
Dill-Ag13
AG
evan_aggie said:

Boggles my mind they'd cut salary for everyone vs just drop the bottom 10%. It would be such an Intel move to do that in the name of fairness and equity for all. Just a terrible decision all around.

QFT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.