Business & Investing
Sponsored by

First House Down Payment

6,835 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Redstone
Michael Cera Palin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Within the next 18 months my fiance and I are going to get married, both of us finish grad school, and both of us acquire big boy/big girl jobs. We will finish school/start our marriage with no debt, no kids, and a 6-month emergency fund. We are currently handling our wedding and honeymoon, and already have the money saved and set aside. Whatever we don't use for the wedding will begin our house down payment fund.

Ideally we would like to buy a house within 2-3 years of getting married, and are currently saving accordingly. Unfortunately, without going too much into specifics, we will end up moving to an area with higher than average home prices that I don't see dropping even with a national housing market down turn.

My questions for the board are:

What would be the best way to store the money we're saving given our timeframe? HYSA, I-bond, something else I don't know about?

If you're willing to share, what percentage down payment did y'all put down for your first home? I know 20% is the "safe" bet to avoid mortgage insurance and stress, but that would mean a lot of saving for us due to the previously mentioned high prices.

Any tips or things to look out for as we move into this stage of our life?

I know this could probably go in the real estate forum, but I like the B&I board and can't wait to hear what the billionaires have to say

12thMan9
AG
1st time home buyers can put as little as 5% down. I think FHA also has a 96.5% finance option.
Ronnie '88
Howdy Dammit
AG
Robinhood is currently offering 4% interest on uninvested money. Might be something to look at.

As far as the house. My wife and I purchased our first home in the 2021 craziness. We were only able to comfortably put down 15%, although I really did want 20. However, PMI is cheaper than I thought. Think we pay 118/month. A few things to note.

1. Our monthly payment was at 25% of my gross pay. This made things very tight since I fully fund my retirement.
2. I'm a couple raises down the road, so being strapped for one year wasn't the worst thing.
3. Furnishing is more expensive than I thought. Was another small down payment.
4. Our house was new, but something always breaks or is needed for the home. Seriously. Every single month we buy or fix something. Didn't anticipate that coming from an apartment.
5. A home is not the investment I thought it was. If you're buying just so you don't miss out, don't. Buy because you wanna be somewhere a minimum of 5 years.
6. Make sure you know what your wife is doing after a baby. Don't buy a house that needs both incomes. Seen several women think they will continue to work, and post baby realize they want to stay home, but can't because of the payment.

Goodluck!
AustinCountyAg
this is probably something you already know, but I will say it anyway because several friends and family members have made this mistake. dont over buy. Just because you get preapproved for X amount of dollars doesn't mean you can afford it. Taxes go up every year, utilities go up every year, etc. Just because you can afford it now, doesn't mean you can afford it next year.

aTm2004
AG
I think timing is everything. I put down the absolute minimum on my first house (FHA loan) in '08 right after the subprime mortgage crisis to buy a foreclosure. I got that thing for dirt cheap, and was able to sell it a few years later for a substantial profit, then rolled that into a new house, and then rolled the equity from that one into my current house.

As the above poster said, don't buy the absolute max of what you're approved for because the value will go up, thus your taxes go up. Hell, the cost of living goes up every year, and you don't want to be house poor trying to just get by. Owning a house is expensive, and sometimes time consuming, but if you're planning on being in the area for several years, it sure beats renting.
htxag09
AG
I mean buying, selling, and moving to 3 houses in 10-15 years has a cost to it as well.

I'm not saying to overextend. But if you're young, don't have a lot of responsibilities (like kids, debt, etc.) and are comfortable with your realistic potential career progression, buying a little more house isn't the worst thing in the world.

I sometimes kick myself for being so conservative when we bought our house. We love it, have been here for 11 years now, and the low mortgage has been a blessing. But if we would have pushed the budget a little to get into a more desirable neighborhood the appreciation would have been significantly more. Like sitting on an extra $200k right now if we pushed the budget by $50k.

And that extra $50k was nowhere near the max of what we were pre-approved for. Plus, within a couple years after buying, my income had more than doubled. So we would have never been house poor.

Obviously, this has risks, like losing a job, an unforeseen pandemic, etc. But there's more than one side to every situation.
OldArmyCT
AG
A lot of people will tell you to get a 15 year mortgage instead of a 30. Don't. Get the 30 and overpay monthly like it's a 15 if you want but if your finances change you can easily lower you mortgage payment. If you're in a 15 you have that payment and may have trouble re-fi'ing into a 30.
aTm2004
AG
OldArmyCT said:

A lot of people will tell you to get a 15 year mortgage instead of a 30. Don't. Get the 30 and overpay monthly like it's a 15 if you want but if your finances change you can easily lower you mortgage payment. If you're in a 15 you have that payment and may have trouble re-fi'ing into a 30.
This. We went with a 15 when we refinanced in 2019, and if I had to do it over again, I'd go this route. The payments aren't an issue, but having the flexability to pivot if there's a loss of job or something catestrophic would be nice.
MAS444
AG
I think a lot of people are in a rush to buy their first house. Take your time and make sure you know where you want to be and what you want. And that you can afford it.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
My wife and I have put between 5% and 10% down on all of our homes purchased for primary residences, all on 30 year notes, and all purchase prices were no greater than 50% of what we could really afford/what most folks our age were buying (they made great rentals).

I've written a first draft of a book that I've temporarily titled, "How to Buy Your First Home in Texas", where I answer this specific question in more detail. My contact info is in my profile. Shoot me a text and I'll send you a copy of the draft before it even hits publishers.

Also, if you are buying in Texas, one of our Red Pear agents would love to help you, and as a bonus, rebate half of our commission with you at closing. On a $400,000 home, this would typically be $6,000 to help you cover closing costs and/or buy down points.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Deputy Travis Junior
MAS444 said:

I think a lot of people are in a rush to buy their first house. Take your time and make sure you know where you want to be and what you want. And that you can afford it.

Expanding on this, I'm guessing you all are in your mid/late 20s since you're finishing up grad school. Completely different take here that ignores your question, but you will have nice incomes + no debt, so I say you should go get a nice apartment in a fun, urban area. Right after my wife and I got married we spent ~2 years in an apartment on the Riverwalk maybe a half mile from The Pearl and it was a freaking blast that I wouldn't trade for anything. We didn't go nuts with spending but we had a nice dinner every 2-3 weeks, enjoyed wine while taking in the views, took countless evening walks together in a gorgeous area, all that.

We've moved on to the more traditional suburban life and that's fine. I like where we are and am very happy. But I'm glad we did that when we got hitched and I'd be lying if I said I didn't daydream about it from time to time.

A lot of people will say you should pinch every penny and save every dollar you can ASAP. I agree you should be sensible and think about the future, but you only have one shot to be young newlyweds. Have a good time and build some memories that you'll treasure the rest of your lives.
txaggieacct85
AG
"we will end up moving to an area with higher than average home prices that I don't see dropping even with a national housing market down turn."

Don't buy this... prices are going down and will continue to go down in 2023.

If you can put down 20%, do it. Paying for mortgage insurance is throwing money away.

I'm not aware of any area immune to the downturn in price that is and will happen.

Another option is to rent in a neighorhood where you might consider buying.

That way you know you'll like the area and keep an eye on properties for sale.

Don't get in a hurry

txaggieacct85
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Robinhood is currently offering 4% interest on uninvested money. Might be something to look at.

As far as the house. My wife and I purchased our first home in the 2021 craziness. We were only able to comfortably put down 15%, although I really did want 20. However, PMI is cheaper than I thought. Think we pay 118/month. A few things to note.

1. Our monthly payment was at 25% of my gross pay. This made things very tight since I fully fund my retirement.
2. I'm a couple raises down the road, so being strapped for one year wasn't the worst thing.
4. Our house was new, but something always breaks or is needed for the home. Seriously. Every single month we buy or fix something. Didn't anticipate that coming from an apartment.
5. A home is not the investment I thought it was. If you're buying just so you don't miss out, don't. Buy because you wanna be somewhere a minimum of 5 years.
6. Make sure you know what your wife is doing after a baby. Don't buy a house that needs both incomes. Seen several women think they will continue to work, and post baby realize they want to stay home, but can't because of the payment.

Goodluck!
but you get nothing for your $118 per month
txaggieacct85
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Goodluck!
if you bought it new the warranty might cover some of those items "breaking".

Which brings up a good point, owning a home isn't just paying a mortgage (including taxes and insurance), but there's more maintenance involved that new home buyers anticipate
htxag09
AG
The area we are looking at has 100% seen prices continue to rise.

Obvious example, someone bought a house for $1.035mm in June 2022 and just listed it at $1.1mm and it was pending after one weekend with multiple offers.
txaggieacct85
AG
"Make sure you know what your wife is doing after a baby. Don't buy a house that needs both incomes. Seen several women think they will continue to work, and post baby realize they want to stay home, but can't because of the payment."

yep, don't rely on a second income for a housing decision. My wife lost her job right after our honeymoon and we had bought a house two months earlier. A little wake up call, but that was in 1990. just aged myself
SnowboardAg
AG
You could put the money in a decent dividend paying stock. Likely the value won't change much - just look at their historical earnings and pick that way if the fundamentals look good.

I put down 10% on first home, but paid off that second mortgage asap (much higher rate).

As mentioned don't underestimate the after closing costs - furnishing and break fix / remodel stuff. Every time I hit Lowe's or Home Depot, it's like I bleed $100 bills. Mowing, pest control, etc - just plan it out / budget.

My one piece of advice is to turn into a handyman. So many people hire EVERYTHING out and that's expensive. Watch some YouTube, buy some reasonable quality tools, and build sweat equity. If you have hire things (cabinets or countertops), be your own GC.
txaggieacct85
AG
htxag09 said:

Obvious example, someone bought a house for $1.035mm in June 2022 and just listed it at $1.1mm and it was pending after one weekend with multiple offers.

price range where people have to borrow most of the value of the property will go down as mortgage rates increase.
htxag09
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

htxag09 said:

price range where people have to borrow most of the value of the property will go down as mortgage rates increase.

Ok. But you told the OP not to buy the argument that areas are insulated from price decreases. Then stated:
Quote:

I'm not aware of any area immune to the downturn in price that is and will happen.

Now I'm not stating these areas are immune to downturns but it's pretty evident that many neighborhoods, especially in Texas, haven't seen prices drop. They've just slowed the rate at which they're increasing.
txaggieacct85
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

this is probably something you already know, but I will say it anyway because several friends and family members have made this mistake. dont over buy. Just because you get preapproved for X amount of dollars doesn't mean you can afford it. Taxes go up every year, utilities go up every year, etc. Just because you can afford it now, doesn't mean you can afford it next year.

I definitely agree with you.

Having said that, natural gas prices have plummeted in the last few months, so heating a home with natural gas will go down. and it also means electricity prices should also go down since natural gas is a major source for power plants in Texas

My financial approach has always been live well within your means. It's worked very well for me.

I've been debt free for a long time.
SteveBott
AG
OP I'm in mortgage for over 20 years. Loan terms and PMI cost is highly dependent on credit score. You can buy as little as 3% down but recommend at least 5% down. These are conventional loans so cheaper then FHA. And you can cancel PMI where you have to refinance to lose pmi on FHA.

WITH good credit I recommend 10% down. That is the sweet spot IF you do not want to put the full 20% down and use the excess cash for home costs outlined above. Heck just getting a full set of lawn equipment will cost around 1000. And that just the start.

So my advice is to work on your credit scores now. Raising them takes awhile. My contact info is in my profile if you want to talk about your personal credit file.
txaggieacct85
AG
OldArmyCT said:

in 1990 we bought a house and assumed a loan (cant do that now). Assuming cut a lot of closing cost.

Anyway it was an 8.5% 30 year mortgage that escalated to 9.5 then 10.5.

I refinanced a few years later to a 15 year 7% mortgage.

A few more years later to a 15% 6% mortgage.

Then sold the property in 1999 and didnt get have much gain since prices were basically flat back then.

I bought a new house in 1999 for $240,000 and I live in that house now.

I paid my mortgage off in I think 2006 and haven't owed a bank a penny since then.
txaggieacct85
AG
Dont get in a hurry
Watch prices go down
avoid PMI if you can
if you buy a brand new house, it should come with a warranty.

I think some items warranty for one year, five years and 10 years.

The one year usually covers almost everything that break unless you cause the break.

Also you can negotiate price and allowances... Everything is negotiable

Rent in the area you want to buy so you'll know if you like the area.

If you already know, don't get in a hurry.
Chipotlemonger
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Goodluck!
but you get nothing for your $118 per month
Some of your other points are sound and good, but this one I don't agree with.

Would much rather make say a $2.5k payment every month with less than 5% of that cost going into PMI than spend $2k on rent.

Plus, it's not indefinite. Can be removed later and I would never let a measly $118/month keep me from buying a house.
SteveBott
AG
Here is a scenario I just pre-approved.

275k sales price.
5% down
757 credit
FTB

PMI is 76 a month.

So keeping 40k cash leaves room for a fixer upper they want.

The same scenario with 710 credit PMI goes to 155 or so.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I can't say thank you enough for all the responses. Lots of good advice for a young couple.
txaggieacct85
AG
"Would much rather make say a $2.5k payment every month with less than 5% of that cost going into PMI than spend $2k on rent."

It really depends on the direction of the market. If prices are dropping why would you buy now (and they are dropping)

Im helping my daughter buy a house in BCS and I'm definitely advising her not to get in a hurry.

I'm watching prices in her range drop by the day.

My son paid too much for a house in Cedar Park last summer and has watched his market value drop 12%
insulator_king
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

OldArmyCT said:

in 1990 we bought a house and assumed a loan (cant do that now). Assuming cut a lot of closing cost.

Anyway it was an 8.5% 30 year mortgage that escalated to 9.5 then 10.5.

I refinanced a few years later to a 15 year 7% mortgage.

A few more years later to a 15% 6% mortgage.

Then sold the property in 1999 and didnt get have much gain since prices were basically flat back then.

I bought a new house in 1999 for $240,000 and I live in that house now.

I paid my mortgage off in I think 2006 and haven't owed a bank a penny since then.
Actually, VA loans are still assumable, and you don't have to be a veteran.
I'm trying to sell my house with a 2.75% loan which is assumable, but you will have to pay difference in equity plus some VA loan fees. But I'm in ABQ, NM though.
SteveBott
AG
Yes VA is assumable but they are not big players in the market. Very specialized and most importantly, most buyers have to qualify the new owners to VA underwriting. And as said the buyer has to bring the sellers equity and few have it.

FHA has some real old loans and USDA. Mortgage loans can as well. USDA is weird bird as well. Rural mostly but developers have found a way to build track subdivisions in farm fields to qualify.
2%er/New Army
txaggieacct85 said:

"Would much rather make say a $2.5k payment every month with less than 5% of that cost going into PMI than spend $2k on rent."

It really depends on the direction of the market. If prices are dropping why would you buy now (and they are dropping)

Im helping my daughter buy a house in BCS and I'm definitely advising her not to get in a hurry.

I'm watching prices in her range drop by the day.

My son paid too much for a house in Cedar Park last summer and has watched his market value drop 12%

I agree with HtxAg. There are several desirable neighborhoods in Houston that haven't and likely won't see a meaningful drop in value. He's not talking about production homebuilder subdivisions in the suburbs I imagine. There are certain areas with a finite amount of supply. I see transaction volume/inventory diminish significantly in a slow down but not price reduction. Most homes in those areas that are for sale are folks upgrading or memaw passed away and the house needs a significant gutting.

Obviously if 08-09 happens again all bets are off but don't see it happening in the neighborhoods that poster was likely referring to in the current economic headwinds.
jaggiemaggie
AG
You have the rest of your lives to play house to deal with property taxes, HVAC, water heaters and all the crap that comes with being a homeowner. Buy one of these and travel make memories

txaggieacct85
AG
Famous last words
Michael Cera Palin
AG
jaggiemaggie said:

You have the rest of your lives to play house to deal with property taxes, HVAC, water heaters and all the crap that comes with being a homeowner. Buy one of these and travel make memories

We actually have our feet in the door at an employer located remotely in the mountains so all of that will be right next door. No offense to 99% of TexAgs posters, but the Texas suburban life sucks and we've set ourselves up to get out of it ASAP.
txaggieacct85
AG
It's the people not the places that make life.

We take regular vacations to go to places you're referring to .

Having said that iim working on buying some land in the sticks so my grandkids have places to roam on occasion
txaggieacct85
AG
People live in the suburbs so they can have one of those big boy jobs you're referencing.

I'm my day, there was no opportunities to work remotely.

So it was either live in the suburbs or starve in the country.

I like eating
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.