Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Geico renewals are sky high

6,697 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by rlb28
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Public service announcement

Independent agent here. If you have Geico your payment is set up on auto bank draft. Don't miss your renewal and let them deduct before you know it. We're seeing Geico customers with their premiums doubling. Allstate is crazy high right now, and to some extent State Farm. Progressive is holding steady and we're killing Geico.

"GEICO Corp. continued increasing personal auto rates during the third quarter. Subsidiaries of the group received approval for 105 rate hikes, which is expected to increase the overall premiums by $1.57 billion.

State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co. is expected to see the second-largest increase of $1.31 billion from 44 rate hikes across 22 states."
TecRecAg
AG
I just got my Allstate renewal document. Holy F I need to switch
jtraggie99
AG
I've seen a lot of gripes about USAA in recent years, both in their service and rates. I've never used anyone else, and I've never had an issue when filing a claim, be it auto or home.

My auto policy just renewed in December for myself and my 21 year old daughter. I think it went up about $50 for the 6 month policy, so not much. I just got my HO renewal as well and it only went up about $100 total for the year. Given all the huge increases I've been hearing about from other carriers, I'd say that's pretty good…
jagvocate
AG
I'm not a USAA zombie, I'll go with anyone that has the best offer, but they've been good enough to stay with every time we check the last few years.
TXTransplant
I've been with State Farm about 20 years, and my recent experience has been the same. Auto renewed in Oct with a very small increase, but I got most of it back as a refund check last month when my son turned 18.

Homeowners renews next month, and I think the statement was up maybe $100. In 10 years, my premium has gone from about $1700 to $2000

I feel lucky compared to a lot of the stories I've read here.
rlb28
AG
We saw USAA go up about a year ago, but they're holding steady as well.

On a side note, we were in Colorado over Christmas and I was parked at a convenience store. 82-year-old man hit me from behind. He had USAA and I thanked him for his service and told him mistakes happen, no big deal. I got a phone call from a sheriff, who said the old man had filed charges on me for hit-and-run. He told USAA the same story and they denied my claim. After the sheriff looked at the video, he laughed because I was parked. USAA called the sheriff and accepted liability. I'm getting my new bumper. Unreal.
AgLA06
AG
Instead of laughing he should be filing charges.
Proudag06
AG
Funny, I saw mine just 3 weeks ago and was shocked and switched to progressive.
Ranger1743
AG
Our geico monthly premium went up 41%. Insanity.

We have our homeowners insurance through them as well, and it's still dirt cheap, so we're afraid to switch. If they have a similar raise on our homeowners we are definitely gone.
rlb28
AG
Yeah, I'm still not sure what went on. Sheriff said old man drove to sheriff dept the next day and filed those charges. Not only that, I gave him my business card with cell #… I asked the sheriff how he was contacting me if it was a hit-and-run?
rlb28
AG
Ranger1743 said:

We have our homeowners insurance through them as well, and it's still dirt cheap, so we're afraid to switch. If they have a similar raise on our homeowners we are definitely gone.

If you are not in Tier 1 where a windstorm policy is needed, i would expect a homeowners rate with Progressive, Travelers, Safeco, even Farmers, to be about the same as your Geico rate. They all bundle and give you a multi-policy discount. You're just getting hammered on auto insurance.

I'll try to upload a H/O policy we just did yesterday in Fulshear to give an example of the premium.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
rlb28 said:

Yeah, I'm still not sure what went on. Sheriff said old man drove to sheriff dept the next day and filed those charges. Not only that, I gave him my business card with cell #… I asked the sheriff how he was contacting me if it was a hit-and-run?

Please tell me you sued that son of a B. I would have.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
rlb28 said:

Man that's a shame. And unfortunately, it's becoming more common. Glad it worked out in your favor.
rlb28
AG
rlb28 said:

Ranger1743 said:

If you are not in Tier 1 where a windstorm policy is needed, i would expect a homeowners rate with Progressive, Travelers, Safeco, even Farmers, to be about the same as your Geico rate. They all bundle and give you a multi-policy discount. You're just getting hammered on auto insurance.

I'll try to upload a H/O policy we just did yesterday in Fulshear to give an example of the premium.

Here ya go. This is a fairly new house, so roof is new, etc… and that matters a lot:

Malibu
Maybe geography but AAA insurance for home, auto, and life has been exceptional.
YouBet
AG
Y'all need to be rate shopping your insurance every year. I end up swapping mine out every 1-2 years.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
jagvocate said:

I'm not a USAA zombie, I'll go with anyone that has the best offer, but they've been good enough to stay with every time we check the last few years.

I'm a USAA zombie I guess, until they let me down several times I ain't switching….
Chipotlemonger
AG
YouBet said:

Y'all need to be rate shopping your insurance every year. I end up swapping mine out every 1-2 years.

I checked out rates through Gabi recently and didn't see enough to make me want to switch, it would have been a push at best. Any other avenues suggested for shopping rates?
Aggie71013
AG
I have a similar amount of coverage in west Houston / Katy, but on an older house with a 10 to 12 year old roof and am paying 2.5 times that. I've quoted it out and couldn't seem to save more than a few hundred.

Roofs aren't that expensive to justify thousands extra a year. I could pay for a new roof out of pocket every 10 years with that difference in premium. What's the secret to getting a lower premium?
fulshearAg96
AG
I've got Travelers for home, auto, and umbrella. I have no complaints other than them trying to say the hail damage on my windshield wasn't from hail... we got thru that one....

I've been quoted Progressive and could save money with them... Just have zero experience with them so reluctant to make switch without knowing their service history on claims, etc.
rlb28
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

YouBet said:

I checked out rates through Gabi recently and didn't see enough to make me want to switch, it would have been a push at best. Any other avenues suggested for shopping rates?

I think it's hard for an individual to quote online and get anything out of it. Most of these companies have their own set of discounts and questions that help set the rate.

Of course bundling gets you the biggest discount. Roof age is a big deal, but things like hip roof vs. gable, when were updates on wiring, plumbing and HVAC are also big deals and they weren't asked on any online quotes I've ever done.
Ranger1743
AG
Granted our house is only worth about $400k, but we are paying sub-$1000 per year, which seems like a good deal

Edit: No windstorm, fairly new house (built 2019) in San Antonio
rlb28
AG
fulshearAg96 said:

I've got Travelers for home, auto, and umbrella. I have no complaints other than them trying to say the hail damage on my windshield wasn't from hail... we got thru that one....

I've been quoted Progressive and could save money with them... Just have zero experience with them so reluctant to make switch without knowing their service history on claims, etc.

I'll say it like this… my dad founded our agency 44 years ago and still works daily. He grew up here, and I grew up here. Our agency has a GREAT name in our town. No way we would jeopardize that by selling a company that has bad customer service or claims history.

Yes, there will be people on Texags who tell you they had a bad dealing, but those outliers are also true with Travelers, Allstate, State Farm, etc… no company is perfect.
rlb28
AG
Ranger1743 said:

Granted our house is only worth about $400k, but we are paying sub-$1000 per year, which seems like a good deal

Edit: No windstorm, fairly new house (built 2019) in San Antonio

It is a good deal and it'll likely stay close to that rate for another 5 or so years.
YouBet
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

YouBet said:

Use a broker and let them do the work. I use Liere who was/is a sponsor on here. They are based in College Station. I started using them 5 or so years ago after reading about them on here and other people recommending them. Have saved me quite a few dollars over the years just having them shop on your behalf.

There are many brokers out there I'm sure.
schwack schwack
AG
I went thru Rollo. Happy with the switch & saved money. That said, I haven't gotten renewals yet...
rlb28
AG
Yep, any independent agent will have multiple companies to shop your insurance
Jet Black
I think there was another thread about this not to long ago. Someone said the increases were do to the increasing costs of auto parts. I have no idea if that is true. Over the past year, our Geico auto policy has gone up $70 a month.
rlb28
AG
Tons of reasons, including auto parts, supply chain, rental car costs, litigious society, severity of claims, etc…
Ranger1743
AG
Don't forget the huge increase in reckless driving.
rlb28
AG
Yeah, at one point after the pandemic auto fatalities were up something like 27% for a long period of time. And, a lot of the big boys gave up billions of dollars in rebates because of how little people were driving during the pandemic.
SnowboardAg
AG
I have zero loyalty - insurance is a necessary evil. I wish I could just do high deductible like health plan.

Side note, if everyone is holding uninsured motorist, why not just be the uninsured.
rlb28
AG
You can have high deductibles.

Not sure I understand the uninsured comment
KT 90
AG
SnowboardAg said:

I have zero loyalty - insurance is a necessary evil. I wish I could just do high deductible like health plan.

Side note, if everyone is holding uninsured motorist, why not just be the uninsured.

Have an at fault accident without insurance, and you can get the bejesus sued out of you.
BenTheGoodAg
AG
KT 90 said:

SnowboardAg said:

Have an at fault accident without insurance, and you can get the bejesus sued out of you.

Yep. The higher your net worth, the more they've got to come after. Shield those assets.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.