Business & Investing
Sponsored by

CD Rates

8,764 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by LMCane
insulator_king
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
hoosier-daddy said:

Capital One has 11mo 5%
I was just going to post this myself.
Now offering
11-month 360 CD
with a special rate
Special 5.00% rate expires 3/14/2023
evan_aggie
AG
I think Capital One savings is over 4% now and you have all of the flexibility you'd want for withdrawal. Not sure if it's worth the extra 1% but maybe to some.
BTHOB
AG
evan_aggie said:

I think Capital One savings is over 4% now and you have all of the flexibility you'd want for withdrawal. Not sure if it's worth the extra 1% but maybe to some.

Capital One online savings account rate is currently 3.4%.
evan_aggie
AG
Damn! Thanks for saying this!

BaskBank is quite a bit higher. I'll move some around.
BTHOB
AG
You can easily find treasuries paying almost 5%.
redag06
BTHOB said:

evan_aggie said:

Capital One online savings account rate is currently 3.4%.
Wealthfront is 4.05, refer someone and its 4.55%
K_P
AG
I just have the old school vanguard mutual fund account, not the brokerage account. There is no sweep.
AgsMyDude
AG
Ag06Law said:

AgsMyDude said:

Ag06Law said:

AgsMyDude said:

Ag13 said:

AgsMyDude said:

CUSIPVMFXX is currently 4.29 %

Any reason not to just park emergency fund cash there?
6 month treasuries are yielding 4.8%+. Can get a little more juice if you keep an eye on the maturities and roll the bills yourself.

Best place to buy those?

I buy them at Vanguard, it's very easy once you get your funding account set up.

Just through the brokerage account?

When I looked I thought I read something in there about the rates being variable? But maybe I was looking at CDs purchased through Vanguard?

Yeah, if you go up to buy and sell in the brokerage account page, there's an option to buy and sell treasuries. You can buy new treasuries at auction or buy off the secondary market. If you buy new treasuries, the rate is fixed as of the time of the auction for the term of the treasury. The day it matures, the money shows up in your Vanguard settlement account.

Mind providing which treasuries (or even just 1) that you hold? CUSIP would be helpful too.

I may be doing this wrong because when I get to the final purchase stage for the following treasury it is telling me "This investment is subject to interest rate risk. The value can decline due to rising interest rates. Longer maturities have higher interest rate risk."

Issue
UNITED STATES TREAS NOTE

CUSIP
9128285T3
Ag13
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Ag06Law said:

AgsMyDude said:

Ag06Law said:

AgsMyDude said:

Ag13 said:

AgsMyDude said:

CUSIPVMFXX is currently 4.29 %

Any reason not to just park emergency fund cash there?
6 month treasuries are yielding 4.8%+. Can get a little more juice if you keep an eye on the maturities and roll the bills yourself.

Best place to buy those?

I buy them at Vanguard, it's very easy once you get your funding account set up.

Just through the brokerage account?

When I looked I thought I read something in there about the rates being variable? But maybe I was looking at CDs purchased through Vanguard?

Yeah, if you go up to buy and sell in the brokerage account page, there's an option to buy and sell treasuries. You can buy new treasuries at auction or buy off the secondary market. If you buy new treasuries, the rate is fixed as of the time of the auction for the term of the treasury. The day it matures, the money shows up in your Vanguard settlement account.

Mind providing which treasuries (or even just 1) that you hold? CUSIP would be helpful too.

I may be doing this wrong because when I get to the final purchase stage for the following treasury it is telling me "This investment is subject to interest rate risk. The value can decline due to rising interest rates. Longer maturities have higher interest rate risk."

Issue
UNITED STATES TREAS NOTE

CUSIP
9128285T3
Current 6 month on the run (most recently issued): 912796XY0 (matures 8/10/23)
Current 1 year on the run: 912796ZY8 (Matures 1/25/24)

Both are yielding >4.9%.

Both are zero coupon notes which means you only get paid when maturity happens. No coupons along the way. You are buying at something less than par and get paid out at par. That is your interest/your yield.

They are subject to interest rate risk if you sell prior to maturity. If rates go up the price of your bond will go down. But you will still get paid out par in the end. If you purchase a 1y, with the intention of holding until maturity in 1 year but then you have spending needs in the interim and have to liquidate, you do run the risk of slight capital loss (conversely you could have a gain - all depends on what interest rates do). Otherwise there is no risk (assuming no default by the US Government).
southernboy1
AG
So does anyone have an opinion on if this 11 month will be crapped on and a better rate come up? I chased early on at other percentages and losing at least 1.5%. 5% is still very good. I haven't jumped yet.
Stat Monitor Repairman
9-month CD at 4.5%
Bonfire97
AG
Depending on your timeline, it might be worthwhile to think about buying longer term brokerage CDs or treasuries if you think interest rates are coming down at some point. The values on these both will go up if interest rates go down. I locked in some 3-5 year brokerage CDs at an average of 4.6% awhile back. I don't intend to sell them, but if interest rates go down within that timeframe I could sell for a nice profit.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

9-month CD at 4.5%

I just did a 10 month through Marcus for 5.05 and their online savings is 4.9% if you refer someone or get referred (for 3 months but then each additional person adds another 3 months).

Referral - https://www.marcus.com/share/CAI-ZIZ-7M53

Must do online savings first to get the referral (not CD then online savings).

edit: Online savings just got bumped to 4.15 - so 5.15 if using the referral.
txaggie_08
AG
These were rates at Schwab a couple days ago.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What is this looking like where ya'll are at?

My gut says there's a lot of cash being transferred to CDs
LMCane
I posted 2 months ago the Goldman Sachs bonds that are paying out at 5% for six months maturity

in my Merrill Lynch (Bank of America savings) account you can go in and buy them yourself.

now what happens in another 3 months when they hit maturity I don't know, my guess is the next tranche of rates will be less
LMCane
CD GOLDMAN SACHS BK USA

As of 06/14/2023 12:00 AM ET
MARKET PRICE
$99.6450
YIELD TO WORST
--
MATURITY DATE
1/26/2024
COUPON
4.800%

SECURITY INFORMATION
Coupon frequency
Annually
Next coupon date
--
Callable
No
Yield to maturity
5.36%
Yield to call
--
Trades in multiples
--

POSITION

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.