Business & Investing
Sponsored by

CD Rates

8,870 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by LMCane
txaggieacct85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm aging myself, but I was in high school during the Jimmy Carter era when there was significant inflation, BUT historically high rates for Certficates of Deposit.

I can remember CDs rates over 15% (shown in the chart below)

Even with current inflation, CD rates are still historically low.

Certificate of Deposit Rate History (thebalancemoney.com)

What Is the Highest CD Rate in History?

According to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, CD rates reached an all-time high in 198018.65% for three-month CDs and 18.29% for six-month CDs

If high inflation continues, however, Carey expects CD rates to go up.

"If we continue to see historically high inflation, that is when we [may] see CD rates increase by a large amount," he said. "It might take another few months for this to occur, though."

not hedge
18% Christ, just throw all my money in there and say eff markets
txaggieacct85
AG
not hedge said:

I can remember as a 17 year old in 1980 the high CD rates. I think my parents have a few of those CDs
txaggieacct85
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

not hedge said:

I can remember as a 17 year old in 1980 the high CD rates. I think my parents have a few of those CDs
possibly an uptick

"If we continue to see historically high inflation, that is when we [may] see CD rates increase by a large amount," he said. "It might take another few months for this to occur, though."
permabull
AG
txaggieacct85 said:

I'm aging myself, but I was in high school during the Jimmy Carter era when there was significant inflation, BUT historically high rates for Certficates of Deposit.

According to data from the Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, CD rates reached an all-time high in 198018.65% for three-month CDs and 18.29% for six-month CDs

Lend the bank $1000 and be a multi billionaire in 3 months
Bonfire97
AG
5 year CD rates peaked in October at 5%. They are going to hell quickly. If you can find some 4-5 year CDs at 4-4.5% take advantage of it.
jja79
AG
I was in banking when the rates were 15%+. Crazy times.
AgsMyDude
AG
VMFXX is currently 4.29 %

Any reason not to just park emergency fund cash there?
Baby Billy
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Dumb not to. PCOXX pays more, though.
Cyp0111
That is where im parking cash.
Ag13
AG
AgsMyDude said:

6 month treasuries are yielding 4.8%+. Can get a little more juice if you keep an eye on the maturities and roll the bills yourself.
PlanoAg98
AG
I'm pretty sure CDs won't go up from here (4.5%). My financial advisor is recommending that I book these rates in 1, 2, 3, & 4 year CDs to guarantee these higher returns for the next 4 years.
BQ_2010
AG
I'm a beginner in money management, but at the point career wise where I need to learn.

What are the advantages to VMFXX/PCOXX over a Marcus account that is currently at 3.3%? I know the Marcus is variable, but it is an extremely liquid account.
Bonfire97
AG

Quote:

I'm pretty sure CDs won't go up from here (4.5%). My financial advisor is recommending that I book these rates in 1, 2, 3, & 4 year CDs to guarantee these higher returns for the next 4 years.
100% agree
Baby Billy
AG
BQ_2010 said:

I'm a beginner in money management, but at the point career wise where I need to learn.

What are the advantages to VMFXX/PCOXX over a Marcus account that is currently at 3.3%? I know the Marcus is variable, but it is an extremely liquid account.

Higher interest. Those two are money market mutual funds, they don't carry FDIC insurance like the Marcus or other online savings accounts will. They also trade T+1, meaning if you want to get the money out, you'll have to sell your shares of the fund and that cash won't be available until the trade date +1 day.

For example, if you needed $10k out of PCOXX, you sell $10k worth on Monday, the cash will be available in your account on Tuesday. Another example, if you sold the $10k worth of shares on Thursday evening after the market closed, you wouldn't have the cash available in your account until Monday.
BQ_2010
AG
Thanks for the reply
JR2007
AG
VMFXX shows 7-day yield is 4.29 %. When you put money in, how often does your rate change?

Alternatively with the 6 month treasury, do you just buy now and rebuy in 6 months?
AgsMyDude
AG
Ag13 said:

AgsMyDude said:

6 month treasuries are yielding 4.8%+. Can get a little more juice if you keep an eye on the maturities and roll the bills yourself.

Best place to buy those?
Ag06Law
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Ag13 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Best place to buy those?

I buy them at Vanguard, it's very easy once you get your funding account set up.
one safe place
txaggieacct85 said:

Aging myself as well, because I remember those days. My wife wanted us to start a family and asked if she could stay at home with the baby or did she have to go back to work. I said I am not making that decision, you decide and I will make it work financially. She decided she wanted to stay at home. Plans were to work one more year then work while pregnant the next year. In year one, I started weaning us off her salary, an ever-increasing set aside each payday until her last check for that year was fully set aside, then the pregnancy year each of her checks was set aside. Every time the set aside reached $500 or $1,000 I would go to Benjamin Franklin savings and get a one year CD. Seems as if some were in the 12% range, some 15% or more, over this time frame. Then, as they matured, none, some, or all of each CD was put in our checking account. Any amount not needed was put in another one year CD. My pay had increased and it took nearly 5 years to fully use up all the CD funds.

Downside was we built our first house during all this and the interest rate was 17.25%. Refinanced at 12.75% and thought we had hit a home run!
AgsMyDude
AG
Ag06Law said:

AgsMyDude said:

Ag13 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Best place to buy those?

I buy them at Vanguard, it's very easy once you get your funding account set up.

Just through the brokerage account?

When I looked I thought I read something in there about the rates being variable? But maybe I was looking at CDs purchased through Vanguard?
one safe place
This high interest rate discussion brought back a memory from 1980-81. I was working for a CPA in Beaumont at the time and one day a client came by to drop off a check to go with his extension. My boss was out of the office at the time so the man handed me the check and said, jokingly, that if it got filed late, my boss owed the penalty. I laughed and said I would tell him. I knew he had sold his business but nothing of the details. I asked what he was going to do now that he had sold his business. He told me he was moving to his ranch and was going to sit out there and collect interest on the municipal bonds he had bought from the rest of the sale proceeds. He said he wasn't ever planning to pay income tax again.

After he left, I took the check out of the envelope. It was just a regular sized personal check, not a business check. It was for $1.3 or $1.4 million dollars, I can't remember. I remember just staring at it, I'd never seen anywhere close to that amount of money and there I was holding a check in that amount!

Municipal bond rates were pretty high back then as well, 12% to 14% if memory serves me. I imagine life was pretty good living in the Hill Country with that sort of tax-free income.
YouBet
AG
I'm getting 4.5% in my Goldman savings account. Obviously variable.

If you believe all the pundits, CD's are not going to get any higher because inflation has eased and will continue to do so.

However, keep in mind the experts like Goldman were unable to define inflation in the first place because they were lying or incompetent. So, buyer beware whatever route you take.
Ag06Law
AG
AgsMyDude said:

Ag06Law said:

AgsMyDude said:

Ag13 said:

AgsMyDude said:

Best place to buy those?

Just through the brokerage account?

When I looked I thought I read something in there about the rates being variable? But maybe I was looking at CDs purchased through Vanguard?

Yeah, if you go up to buy and sell in the brokerage account page, there's an option to buy and sell treasuries. You can buy new treasuries at auction or buy off the secondary market. If you buy new treasuries, the rate is fixed as of the time of the auction for the term of the treasury. The day it matures, the money shows up in your Vanguard settlement account.
astros4545
AG
Why would someone buy a CD when a current ibond rate is 6.89%
YouBet
AG
astros4545 said:

Depends on what rate you can lock in with a CD right now. These I bond rates chnage every six months and are expected to drop soon.

Might be able to make more with a locked in 1 yr CD than gambling that the next i bond change will stay at same level.

But I have no idea what CD rates are right now.
AggieMainland
astros4545 said:

easy...you want to investment than $10k.
Ag06Law
AG
astros4545 said:

Because the next 6 month I bond rate might be 0.
AggieMainland
They won't be 0 since tied to inflation. I think most would agree it will be at least 4% in the 2nd 6 month period. But should be less than the 6.whatever it is currently.
Ag06Law
AG
AggieMainland said:

They won't be 0 since tied to inflation. I think most would agree it will be at least 4% in the 2nd 6 month period. But should be less than the 6.whatever it is currently.

It may not be 0, but it will be far below 4%. This article postulates somewhere around 1.8%:

https://tipswatch.com/2023/01/03/i-bonds-a-not-so-simple-buying-guide-for-2023/

Others have predicted closer to zero. The calculation is complicated and based on inflation over the past sox months, which has been much lower than the year to year average.
AgsMyDude
AG
astros4545 said:

Like others said. Those are variable rates right?
YouBet
AG
AgsMyDude said:

astros4545 said:

Like others said. Those are variable rates right?

They are tied to an inflation formula and change every six months.

I have $20k maturing in April and another $10k maturing in September. I'm exiting those positions at that time and putting that cash somewhere else because rates are expected to be much lower.
K_P
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

BQ_2010 said:

Higher interest. Those two are money market mutual funds, they don't carry FDIC insurance like the Marcus or other online savings accounts will. They also trade T+1, meaning if you want to get the money out, you'll have to sell your shares of the fund and that cash won't be available until the trade date +1 day.

For example, if you needed $10k out of PCOXX, you sell $10k worth on Monday, the cash will be available in your account on Tuesday. Another example, if you sold the $10k worth of shares on Thursday evening after the market closed, you wouldn't have the cash available in your account until Monday.

Sorry to nit pick on this, but I keep cash in the vanguard money market with a vanguard account.

I was able to wire money from the money market to another account and received cash same-day. That was just a few weeks ago.
hoosier-daddy
Capital One has 11mo 5%
Baby Billy
AG
Then Vanguard must allow you to use that as your cash sweep account.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.