Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Help

3,742 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by QBCade
ChoppinDs40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Go back to B and get them to counter. Then go to B "gee golly shucks. Current employer offered me X to stay but I really want to move. Make me whole and we've got a deal"
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Knowing your current company could have given you a much higher salary, but wouldn't until they thought they were going to lose you (regardless of who's fault that is) is very valuable info to have and is something that would probably make me very cynical about them moving forward.

Howdy Dammit
AG
JDCAG (NOT Colin) said:

Knowing your current company could have given you a much higher salary, but wouldn't until they thought they were going to lose you (regardless of who's fault that is) is very valuable info to have and is something that would probably make me very cynical about them moving forward.

I'm not too cynical. Because the offer is way over market value. I was happy with my current pay.
cjsag94
AG
You have not said a single thing in my opinion it suggests you should now leave your current company for the new company. Everybody saying to do it on principle I don't think that's a good reason to do it sounds like you are happier with your current company I would love to stay there and they offer you more money and equity at this point. No moral dilemma for me this is business you do what's in your best interest and it sounds like your current company is hands down where
cjsag94
AG
With that said. If this is in fact way over market value for your job then don't get used to this money. Keep your current lifestyle set it aside while you got it and be prepared to be brought back down to earth and people realize it's not a good investment on their
AgEng06
AG
It depends... did you make any posts in the zoo about Petrino and his decision to come to A&M after accepting the UNLV offer?
txaggieacct85
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Work for company A. Good salary. Low stress. No complaints. Was approached and offered 75% raise from company B. Verbally agreed it was enough to jump ship. Put in two weeks today and company A offered a counter of 90% raise and significant ownership valued today at 2x current salary. In a moral dilemma since I verbally committed to company B.
Which job would you be better at or enjoy more?
jwoodmd
I don't have any suggestions as I'm just watching this thread because I'm waiting for OP to drop the other shoe with an "oh, yeah, there is this...." part - some big piece of info isn't available right now imho.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Update. Company B was frustrated with the counter. But obviously understood that no one could have anticipated a counter like that and you have to do what's best for your family at the end of the day. Luckily he is a good man and isn't looking at it as if I went back on my word, just that unreasonable information wasn't available at the time I gave it. Company A has also been very good to me throughout this and is getting HR to draft the terms of the salary and equity (fully vested) in writing. Not doing anything until I get that, but once I do, I will likely ink the counter deal. Will update if anything else happens, but thank you all for providing advice.
Bassmaster
AG
OP played the transfer portal perfectly. Entered the portal, got another offer, went to current team and made them up their NIL money. Well done.
TXAGFAN
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Work for company A. Good salary. Low stress. No complaints. Was approached and offered 75% raise from company B. Verbally agreed it was enough to jump ship. Put in two weeks today and company A offered a counter of 90% raise and significant ownership valued today at 2x current salary. In a moral dilemma since I verbally committed to company B.
Couldnt possibly stay at Company A if they undervalued me by that much. Generally would never accept a counter offer when leaving employer.
bmks270
AG
When counter offers are accepted, the employees often still end up separated from the company within the next 6 months. That's a stat I heard from a career head hunter and job placer. His advice was never accept the counter offer because rarely does it end up working out long term. Now maybe some situations are unique, but the data says it usually doesn't work out.
Mateo84
AG
bmks270 said:

When counter offers are accepted, the employees often still end up separated from the company within the next 6 months. That's a stat I heard from a career head hunter and job placer. His advice was never accept the counter offer because rarely does it end up working out long term. Now maybe some situations are unique, but the data says it usually doesn't work out.

That would be a great stat for a head hunter to throw since they likely only get paid when someone accepts a NEW role at a new company.
QBCade
AG
How much do you trust your boss or the new boss you'd have if you stay? If you trust him not to screw with you, then stay. If you're not sure, I would prob leave.

I would say that this isn't unusual. Companies do undervalue employees until their eyes are opened by a competing offer.

I had a similar situation happen about 10yrs ago. Wound up staying and it was the best decision by far. Each situation is unique tho.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.