Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Help

3,722 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by QBCade
Howdy Dammit
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dan Scott
AG
Similar situation happened at my company. Not me personally but person accepted counteroffer and stayed. He was treated like crap next few years and passed over. Eventually quit and went to different company. I think that situation is the risk you take by staying.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
**** them they wouldn't hesitate to **** you. You can be transparent about the reason they may counter but you are in the power position here
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Did you ask for a counter from A?
Howdy Dammit
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Did you ask for a counter from A?

No. Just informed them I was leaving and they immediately asked if their counter would change my mind. The additional 15% salary increase isn't my hold up. The ownership number (several hundred K) is the issue.
Dan Scott
AG
Is the equity fully vested now or after certain period?
Howdy Dammit
AG
Dan Scott said:

Will be purchased by mother company (optionally) when our EBITA hits "x". At that point will be worth 500k. Based on current growth is expected to hit that in the next 3-5 years.
Dan Scott
AG
It's tough. I'd lean company B. I'd be pissed at company A for underpaying me if they really thought I was worth almost double plus equity. The extra 15% is nice but isn't life changing compared to 75% imo. Sounds weird but to me 15% makes a difference if I'm making 80K but not 200K. And the equity isn't guaranteed and if things go bad, I think you'd be first to get cut. And there was reason you were looking for another job despite being stress free and making good money. Sounds like you're looking for fresh start.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Dan Scott said:

It's tough. I'd lean company B. I'd be pissed at company A for underpaying me if they really thought I was worth almost double plus equity. The extra 15% is nice but isn't life changing compared to 75% imo. Sounds weird but to me 15% makes a difference if I'm making 80K but not 200K. And the equity isn't guaranteed and if things go bad, I think you'd be first to get cut. And there was reason you were looking for another job despite being stress free and making good money. Sounds like you're looking for fresh start.

That's the hard part. I wasn't looking for a new job. Was approached. This was strictly about money.
Captain Winky
What industry do all these high pay low stress jobs exist?
Howdy Dammit
AG
Captain Winky said:

Haha. Company A is a weird niche high pay low stress gig. Company B will be earning the money.
Dan Scott
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Dan Scott said:

That's the hard part. I wasn't looking for a new job. Was approached. This was strictly about money.

Oh I missed where you said you were approached. You're right, makes things tougher.
BrazosDog02
AG
I can't answer as to what you should do but I can say that the most valuable lesson I learned early on in life is that there is no one in that office more important than you. Not your boss. Not your executive management. Not your colleagues. There is zero moral dilemma here. It's purely business and nothing more. Do what matters to you and to hell with anything else.

You say it was about the money, so if that's the case, then you know the answer.

And….a verbal commitment doesn't mean jack. It's slightly less binding than a handshake deal which is still not meaningful.

The only thing that matters is the policy is of the decision, if any.
Howdy Dammit
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I can't answer as to what you should do but I can say that the most valuable lesson I learned early on in life is that there is no one in that office more important than you. Not your boss. Not your executive management. Not your colleagues. There is zero moral dilemma here. It's purely business and nothing more. Do what matters to you and to hell with anything else.

You say it was about the money, so if that's the case, then you know the answer.

I agree. Just struggling with going back on my word. Really struggling. Also, company B is a former boss and someone I consider a friend.
YouBet
AG
A 90% counteroffer. F* me. Lol.

My only commentary is this a fantastic problem to have.
cjsag94
AG
I'd stay at current company with new deal since you seem happy there, but try to secure guarantees as best you can. From this story, you won't have a problem finding a job making more if things go south. Sounds like you are valuable to many and can choose your lot in life... True that and run with it.

Congratulations on what you've accomplished! And I agree, in this day and age it isn't about moral obligations to your company. If it were, they should explain why they didn't pay you your worth up to now.
scoop12
AG
Howdy Dammit said:

Dan Scott said:

Will be purchased by mother company (optionally) when our EBITA hits "x". At that point will be worth 500k. Based on current growth is expected to hit that in the next 3-5 years.

So based on your OP, that is 2x your current salary, meaning you currently make $250k/year in a low stress niche job and are set to make an extra 90% ($475k/year) plus the equity upside? Hmm take the other offer and post a link to company A's career page please.
aggie_wes
AG
Fk your current company. If they value you that much you'll have a chance to come back and get that equity.

That also sounds like a carrot to get you to say no to new offer and they may screw you on the back end. I would say go, but IF you stay, make sure you have everything in writing and you are good with it BEFORE you tell the other company no.
Howdy Dammit
AG
aggie_wes said:

Fk your current company. If they value you that much you'll have a chance to come back and get that equity.

That also sounds like a carrot to get you to say no to new offer and they may screw you on the back end. I would say go, but IF you stay, make sure you have everything in writing and you are good with it BEFORE you tell the other company no.

This is what I'm currently doing. Have to have everything in writing.
Howdy Dammit
AG
scoop12 said:

Howdy Dammit said:

Dan Scott said:

So based on your OP, that is 2x your current salary, meaning you currently make $250k/year in a low stress niche job and are set to make an extra 90% ($475k/year) plus the equity upside? Hmm take the other offer and post a link to company A's career page please.

Today it is worth 2x my current 'pre raise' salary. It isn't worth 500k today.
Hanrahan
AG
I'd be weary of the counter. Sounds great but they could be doing it just long enough to find a replacement now that they know you would leave… I'd make sure that equity vests immediately and cannot be clawed back for any reason.
scoop12
AG
Working for equity is the prize, IMO, if you believe in the company and their future. Add on the low stress and better salary and seems like a no brainer to stay IF you trust them. Verbal agreements have to be walked back all the time when circumstances change. As long as your company doesn't hold any bad feelings towards you for looking around, there shouldn't be any issue from either company (although people are emotional creatures so never say never). The real question is what would you do if Company B counters again and beats Company A?
Gigem_94
AG
Had you asked for a raise in the past and been denied? If you never asked them I wouldn't be offended that they were underpaying. I've learned it's just business. no companies are going to be loyal to you, so go with whatever you feel is best for you and your family in the long run. Just be honest with both companies.
Howdy Dammit
AG
Gigem_94 said:

Had you asked for a raise in the past and been denied? If you never asked them I wouldn't be offended that they were underpaying. I've learned it's just business. no companies are going to be loyal to you, so go with whatever you feel is best for you and your family in the long run. Just be honest with both companies.

I had not asked for a raise.
Petrino1
Howdy Dammit said:

Captain Winky said:

Haha. Company A is a weird niche high pay low stress gig. Company B will be earning the money.

Based on this + raise and ownership, it's a no brainer to stay at your current company. Company B will understand when you tell them. In fact, they probably figured your current company would counter.

Do what's best for you, always.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Which is better for your career long term? I don't think I've seen that asked.

Things to consider:

• You may be 'marked' at company A for accepting the counter or wanting to leave. It may not be a bad idea to raise that and ask for a severance guarantee as well.
  • If you were so valuable, why didn't they proactively take care of you? I'd want that answered personally before I would say yes. It warrants a discussion. You may also want to ask how your comp will look in the future outside of equity
  • You may be able to negotiate intangibles like a quarterly dinner with the CEO at company A
  • Are you only leaving for money? If not, will the money be enough for you to overcome the other issues?
  • Does the niche job hurt you when this evaporates? Does B give you knowledge or training that is significantly better for company C in the future?
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Oh and one more thing, don't value equity at what it might be worth. Value equity at what it's worth now.

Private equity MOIC/ROIC rarely pans out
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
cab559
AG
You're getting options. May work may not. If they'd offer you real / common equity then I'd consider it harder.

What is the upside in going to company B in 5-10 years?

Stat Monitor Repairman
Go A low stress.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Having been through a similar situation, I hate counteroffers personally. I would ask B to throw in some equity to sweeten the deal and make your move
NoHo Hank
AG
I think the whole "you're willing to leave and so now you're marked" thing is overblown. A 75% raise its life changing. Your boss should understand that when you presented that with the two weeks. If you were cordial about it, I.e. "Hey I love my role and I've loved working for you. Was approached by a former boss who asked me to interview and this is money I can't turn down." I would 100% understand as your current boss and if I could counter great. Don't think that makes you a flight risk at all.
NoHo Hank
AG
Plus with the labor crunch worrying about flight risks isn't necessarily something you can afford to factor. Obviously your relationship with your boss and other senior managers affects this as does how you handled the two week notice but I think you'd be fine staying if you wanted to.

And if the only thing keeping you toward company b is the verbal commitment just tell send them a gram post with respect my decision no dms plz.

In all seriousness your responsibility is to yourself and your family not the companies do prioritize accordingly.
Phat32
AG
Politely decline company A. Go to B, and if A really wants you back, they will come after you later and no bridges burned.
LMCane
Howdy Dammit said:

Work for company A. Good salary. Low stress. No complaints. Was approached and offered 75% raise from company B. Verbally agreed it was enough to jump ship. Put in two weeks today and company A offered a counter of 90% raise and significant ownership valued today at 2x current salary. In a moral dilemma since I verbally committed to company B.
I have seen this happen several times.

if you believe in Karma or being a decent person- follow through with your commitment

the lesson here is: ASK your current employer if they want to keep you before accepting a second position!

it's not hard.
Bird Poo
AG
I would definitely go with B. If things get too stressful you have a friend/boss to confide in to avoid burnout. Use that relationship to your advantage and let them know up front how much more work this will be for you.

75% is a lot and may eventually dwarf whatever ownership you (might) receive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.