Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Management Books for New Engineering Manager?

1,160 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by goatchze
3rd and 2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in my third decade of engineering. My work told me I'll be getting promoted and have to manage a team in the near future. I've had some pretty mediocre managers in my career that came up through engineering. Does anyone have any books or advice on how to be a good engineering manager?

And yes I've looked in google and Amazon too.
cajunaggie08
AG
Be patient with your direct reports. Remember that they are all at various levels of experience. It may not be as fast or as accurate if you were doing it, but you have to let them try and they will improve with time. Ive had too many managers that tried to do it all because they felt it was faster if they just did it themselves.

Also, be ok with some of your direct reports making more than you. You're their manager, but that doesnt mean you are higher on the career/technical ladder
northeastag
AG
I wish I had a good book to recommend, but I don't. There's about a billion of them out there, most of them written by people who didn't have to actually do it.

However I can suggest this. I never met a person that wanted to be "managed". Almost all will want good leadership, clear objectives, and guidance on how to achieve them. But employees will come in various forms. Some will be superstars that need very little guidance or input from you. And some will be rocks that need constant feedback and supervision of their work. And there will be all types in between. In my experience, a one size fits all approach just doesn't work for every employee, and you have to figure out who your employees are so that you can lead them and maximize your groups objectives. I went through a management training course once to shake out these principles, but for the life of me I can't remember who wrote them so that I could send it to you.

But the theory is that if you try and give the same amount of management and supervision to the superstar as the rock, either the superstar chafes under it or the rock fails.

The best advise I got in the navy was that "you lead people and you manage operations". Never forgetting that helped me quite a bit in my career.
Ornithopter
AG
The Ideal Team Player is good. I think it Ideal can be the enemy of good though.
diehard03
I think you'll find a million resources on managing "down", ie your direct reports. What I've noticed blindsides people is managing across (other groups managers you'll interact with) and managing up.

You're going to go to a lot of meetings you've never been to before and people are going to interact with you differently now. Being able to manage expectations of your group and say no to things your group can't/won't be able to do is a skillset of it's own.

I don't have any good resources, but that's what I would spend some time going through and asking other managers at your company how it goes.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Books are just books.

• Decide what type of manager you want to be and be that
  • Your team is not your directs. Your team is the people YOU work with to be effective organizationally and your directs
  • Cascade relevant information correctly to set proper context so that your team can be their best
  • Resist the urge to micro manage
  • Set clear expectations and give autonomy (where you should) to get the required results
  • Deal with performance challenges swiftly and fairly
  • Create room for innovation
  • Be open where your people can come to you to troubleshoot, strategize, and solve problems
  • Never allow someone you work with to be surprised at how they are performing or how they are perceived, good or bad
  • Advocate for your people and help them grow in their careers and lives
  • Be a positive influence on the people around
  • Most important: assume positive intent until there is clear evidence otherwise
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
tamc91
AG
You might search for "The Situational Leader".
It's a quick read and gives practical approaches for leading staff over the range of skill and motivational levels in a typical team.
Bonfire97
AG
I don't know of any books, but here's a couple of tips. Let your top performers run and leave them alone besides checking in during weekly meetings etc. Those types are resourceful and will ask for help if needed. Micromanage your non-performers. Don't let problems linger and deal with it at the first sign of trouble. They will either get tired of you doing this and straighten up or they will leave. Be firm, but fair. And remember, a kudos email or a thank you is free.
Cyprian
AG
I've been managing people for about 20 years now. It's Your Ship by Captain D. Michael Abrashoff is probably my favorite read.
goatchze
AG

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.