Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Wine importing business advice needed

1,876 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Whirligigs
TchadAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy Ags !

I was wondering if anyone on here has experience in the field, and/or would be willing to share some adviceā€¦

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
aggiebq03+
I had been curious about this as well, as we'd visited places in Eastern Europe that have excellent and low priced wine. Stuff you could get for $8-10 that sure seems it could sell for $30+.

But just a bit of online reading seemed like there are 3-4 licenses needed from various federal agencies, and then you have to deal with any state regulations. And that is all before you get into actually selling anything.

I'm sure it could be worth it if you can scale it up, just lots of red tape to get through. Also shipping insurance seemed like a relatively large cost.
LMCane
if you are going to do it-

likely your best value is to get Golan Heights wines and import them into USA for highest return on your investment

Amazing Wines cheap price
AggieBaseball06
AG
I'll admit that all of my experience with TABC is for on-premise sales but I believe that in Texas, if you're not making the wine yourself, it has to be sold through a distributor, in which case your numbers aren't going to be what you are spitballing.
RangerRick9211
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

I'll admit that all of my experience with TABC is for on-premise sales but I believe that in Texas, if you're not making the wine yourself, it has to be sold through a distributor, in which case your numbers aren't going to be what you are spitballing.
You're correct. In TX it has to be through a distributor. And importing into the US requires a bunch of fed certs. And that's just the red tape.

One of my best friends is a Master Somm that works for one of the big distributors. He worked years in NYC (something like ~75% of wine is imported through NYC), consults on wine lists for the heavy hitters in TX and spends a lot of his time on the road in EU filling inventory. He has a great network across the entire value chain and still opts to work for one of the bigs. He did incorporate with another Master pre-Covid; they even had a brick-and-mortar shop; and were going through the TABC process to distribute. They already know plenty of importers and were going for the boutique distributor niche (end-to-end, build the wine menu and fulfill the wine menu). It was a side-gig for them (both were restaurant somms then) and fell apart with the pandemic.

I'm sure there's a niche to fill somewhere in the importing world. But it won't be with Bordeaux or their ilk. That's a fine tuned machine built on decades of partnerships.
cjo03
AG
Go for it and figure out how to ship it to UT.. thanks.
moses1084ever
AG
I used to be involved in a business that imported liquor (not wine) from the US to where I live. A few things to think about:

- What's your market? On-trade or off-trade?

- Bonded warehouses help you manage cash flow... you can land product onshore without having to immediately pay duty. You can pull product (and pay duty) on a need-basis from the warehouse. Duty is a MAJOR expense where I live.

- Ideally, you should get some kind of support for marketing from the vineyard, distillery, brand owner, particularly if you're dealing with an unknown brand. This support could come in the form of cash for marketing, product to hand out for samples/freebies, visits from the vineyard, signs, schwag, etc. We were turned away from some bars and restaurant, not because they didn't like our product, but because we were not able to provide the level of freebies that other brands offered. We also wound up spending a lot of our money for marketing the product locally, which was really annoying but necessary.

- Like any distribution business, getting favorable credit terms helps you grow the business. If you don't have credit, you're going to have to plow (more) cash into the business in order to fund inventory. When we started, we were not eligible for working capital loans so everything was funded through equity (which was painful).

- Be careful when offering credit to your customers. Manage and limit your risk in case some decides they don't want to (or can't) pay their bills anymore.
TchadAg
AG
Thanks guys ! Some good stuff there
Comeby!
AG
I was working a similar deal to bring some specific Napa/Sonoma wines to texas. Apparently the distributors are very much a mafia where they threaten to pull popular wines from a stores inventory if you entertain another source or distributor. At least that's how the wineries explained it to me .
dc509
AG
Comeby! said:

I was working a similar deal to bring some specific Napa/Sonoma wines to texas. Apparently the distributors are very much a mafia where they threaten to pull popular wines from a stores inventory if you entertain another source or distributor. At least that's how the wineries explained it to me .
Yup and that's why owning an alcohol distributor is the best business on the planet. Especially if you're one of the guys like Barry Andrews who has the rights for Miller Lite (and a ton of other stuff) in at least the metroplex.
NowhereMan
You are not going to compete with the liquor distributors who already have the license.
Agswinning
cjo03 said:

Go for it and figure out how to ship it to UT.. thanks.

Lol I've heard people have to get creative. State liquor stores are no bueno.
TchadAg
AG
Shouldn't we give it the ol' Aggie try
Gig 'em !!
cjo03
AG
TchadAg said:

Shouldn't we give it the ol' Aggie try
Gig 'em !!

sure! send a case to UT and I'll let you know if I receive it
Ducks4brkfast
AG
A buddy of mine just recently started this business. If interested, I could put you in touch. I can't get enough of their champs.

https://www.mfbimports.com/
Whirligigs
I can't help but think of Seinfeld episodes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.