Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Is selling stuff online worth it?

5,062 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by InfantryAg
Post removed:
by user
ATM9000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I'm talking about as a low level, one man operation using a 3rd party site like eBay.

When you make a sale: The online marketplace gets their cut.. then there is shipping costs. After those slices are taken, you will still have to report earnings to the IRS for their pound of flesh.

The cherry on top is that the customer is always right and you will have to factor in a percentage on return costs from dishonest or regretful customers.

I'm not considering creating an online business, just more or less thinking out loud on the subject.

Outside of finding some perfect product with considerable margin, I could imagine 90% of low scale online stores on eBay/Amazon etc etc just aren't worth the hassle.

I lent some money to a friend as an initial working capital injection selling something out of his garage on the internet. He did well enough to pay me back with a decent amount of interest and make a decent side income on top of that within 6 months. Won't say what it is (no… it is nothing close to illegal and sort of a funny niche he grabbed) because he is still benefiting from the market gap and he's been at it for about 8 years now. It's highly commoditized and no customization to what he sells… just an odd gap in the market for something highly specific particularly in more rural communities and no great convenient answers for it out there.

He explored expanding into drop shipping and decided that was too much work and not worth it because it would disrupt his really efficient mini warehouse garage setup. He's experimented with other products and all of them weren't really worth it (even stuff really close to what he does now that you'd think would be easy add ons for more income) for the same reason so your assertion is probably right.

At any given time, he's out about 20k for inventory, another few in equipment and supplies and spends about 20 hours a month on it. His market size is incredibly steady, he spends no money on marketing, and most of his customers spend $100-$150 at his store every 6 months or so and there is a seasonal element to his inventory.

Interesting thing is you haven't even mentioned what I think has to be the biggest drag on potential returns for a business like this: dead stock. The niche he's got he's never once discounted to move inventory and doesn't have to really. He rigorously tracks inventory at a bit of a gnats ass level and that dictates what he offers. Anything that sets for more than a year, he just keeps in his store until it sells out then never puts it in stock again.
Post removed:
by user
OldArmyCT
AG
I moved from ne city to another, had 2 things I didn't want to move and didn't want to toss...a Big Green Egg wooden table and an elliptical machine...put them on FB and sold within an hour, local sale, buyer picked them up. I did hit on my daughter's suggestion and it was easy breezy. I didn't tell the IRS though.
AggieMainland
I know a guy that has always been a hustler. Always selling things online. Originally, with garage sales similar to Gary V. But later big priced items. I think 50% of his sales are now "retired" LEGO sets that are no longer in production. Can you make money? Yes. But the number that fail is significantly higher than the number that don't. This guy recently was promoted to Director of Finance of a larger company so he has less time for this but still grinds on weekends. Most would probably think its odd to do that sort of thing when you are making good money in your day job but you can't stop a true hustler from hustling.
techno-ag
AG
It's like anything else you've got to work at it to be successful. I will say eBay has long gotten ridiculous on their seller fees and they offer little to no support for vendors. The customer is always right. You have to figure in a certain percentage for fraud.

That said, if you're willing to devote the time and energy I'm sure it can be rewarding. I might advise using a different site than eBay, though.
htxag09
AG
Nm
YouBet
AG
techno-ag said:

It's like anything else you've got to work at it to be successful. I will say eBay has long gotten ridiculous on their seller fees and they offer little to no support for vendors. The customer is always right. You have to figure in a certain percentage for fraud.

That said, if you're willing to devote the time and energy I'm sure it can be rewarding. I might advise using a different site than eBay, though.
I wonder how much market share they have lost at this point. There are multiple app options these days to sell stuff along with Facebook's market place for individuals to use.

WMS software has exploded in the last few years with ecommerce and the number of SMB companies out there. Encouraging really.
jwoodmd
OldArmyCT said:

I moved from ne city to another, had 2 things I didn't want to move and didn't want to toss...a Big Green Egg wooden table and an elliptical machine...put them on FB and sold within an hour, local sale, buyer picked them up. I did hit on my daughter's suggestion and it was easy breezy. I didn't tell the IRS though.
If you didn't make a profit off an item (i.e., sold it for more than you bought it) then there's nothing to report to the IRS. For example, I don't report selling my old car when I am getting a new car.
htxag09
AG
Proposition Joe
There was a lot of money in drop shipping, but that time has passed. Once people start talking about it on random message boards, most of the money in it has already been squeezed out.
Proposition Joe
YouBet said:

techno-ag said:

I wonder how much market share they have lost at this point. There are multiple app options these days to sell stuff along with Facebook's market place for individuals to use.

WMS software has exploded in the last few years with ecommerce and the number of SMB companies out there. Encouraging really.

They've lost some market share to FB Marketplace and the like, but as far as a large national/world reaching sales platform, there is still no close competitor to ebay unfortunately.
Pizza
The rate of return will most likely be too slow, but definitely consider your options, and make your decisions based on your research.

Best of luck.
ATM9000
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Referring to your last paragraph:

One should never get too far ahead of their skis, eh. Your friend seems to have cushion and is not fretting the excess, low performing inventory. He is able to boil things down to a finer point simply because he has the luxury of time on his side, provided for by the high performing item(and your initial investment). He is able to figure out a better way along the way because of this.

Perhaps the majority people leap into these endeavors without the sufficient capital, knowledge or patience that is needed to truly make it work.

I think that's mostly right. On the high performing item, it is something pretty much everybody utilizes, never changes and wears out as it is used… that makes avoiding dead stock fairly easy to do if you track it closely. And since there's not much competition for the niche, even bad stock isn't that problematic to move.
Dr. Horrible
I swear I think about this every time I go to ship something at UPS. How on earth can you sell something and regularly pay those rates. Assuming they get some kind of better discount, but still. Hell, last time I went to return something and it was one where I had to pay shipping, and the shipping was almost half the money I got back for the return.
techno-ag
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

I swear I think about this every time I go to ship something at UPS. How on earth can you sell something and regularly pay those rates. Assuming they get some kind of better discount, but still. Heck, last time I went to return something and it was one where I had to pay shipping, and the shipping was almost half the money I got back for the return.
One of the little "gotchas" on eBay is a seller can ask the buyer to pay for return shipping. But if the buyer claims the listing was wrong somehow the seller has to pay for the return. So buyers often lie and claim the listing was wrong. EBay will always side with the buyer. Even if the seller has sold hundreds of identical items to satisfied customers, that one buyer saying it's listed wrong won't have to pay for the return, meaning the seller is out shipping both ways and sometimes gets back a heavily used or broken product.

If you go with eBay be sure and figure in a lot of extra for fees and fraud. You almost certainly will not net what you think you will.
Malibu
Selling stuff online seems like it is high on time commitment (warehousing, sales, purchasing, shipping) and mediocre to low on profit. As with anything, you're gonna have to have at least a little bit of start up capital and I would measure the profit of doing that compared to just putting in the S&P, or something like Fundrise to make sure that the return on your money, inclusive of an hourly wage you should pay yourself for your time, is better than simply investing or driving for Uber.

That's my highly uneducated opinion and if others are doing just fine making bank selling stuff online then please disregard my driveby post
LOYAL AG
AG
Mrs LOYAL AG ran an eBay store for about four years with a good amount of success. She thrifted clothes typically from Goodwill, steamed them, took good pictures and created a listing. She went in with $939 and for a side hustle it really did extremely well. The first year I'll bet we pulled 3x that $939 and double that the second and third. In year four things did start to change and we're actually closing it down.

The changes had to do with the brands opening their own eBay stores then pressing eBay to block other stores from selling anything in their "current" lineup. For example small resellers figured out recently that Nike was off limits which hurt a lot of those small store owners.

The key to eBay is activity. List, list, list. Sell two things today, list 10. Sell 12 things today, list 10. The algorithm wants you to treat it like a job and if you do that you'll sell about what you list. At least that was the case until eBay started favoring the manufacturer stores. At her biggest she had probably 2000 items actively listed. Now it's down to about 1200.

Rough math for us was that she bought things for an average of $3-$5 and sold them for about $20 plus shipping of around $4/item. She favored large size men's dress shirts but did a lot of clothing and a few other things. So how will it turn out when all is said and done?

She went in with that $939 and we pulled out probably $15k over four years and I'm thinking liquidation will yield another $10k. It wasn't a huge money machine but it paid for a couple of vacations and will pay off her car two years early. Not sure she'd do it again because of the changes but we certainly don't regret doing it.

The fees really aren't that bad. $60/month base and 12.39% transaction fee which includes merchant fees. That's basically <10% not counting merchant fees and that's about what you'd pay for rent in a local strip mall. She kept everything in a local self storage for $125/month.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
YouBet
AG
Dr. Horrible said:

I swear I think about this every time I go to ship something at UPS. How on earth can you sell something and regularly pay those rates. Assuming they get some kind of better discount, but still. Hell, last time I went to return something and it was one where I had to pay shipping, and the shipping was almost half the money I got back for the return.
Well, you've hit on a reality that is coming to a head right now. UPS and FedEx have raised their rates about 12-13 years in a row to the point that it is now becoming a bit of a crisis for many companies shipping costs. In addition, they cancelled alot of their discount rates with lower yielding customers in an effort to focus more on profitability.

If you don't move a ton of volume you are getting squeezed massively right now. It's leading to quite the disruption in the industry as regional carriers are becoming more en vogue as companies are forced to decentralize away from UPS and FedEx.
cab559
AG
I just sold some golf clubs on eBay for the first time in a few years. Never again, the eBay fees (14%?!?) and shipping costs are so ridiculous right now. Even if I charge $20 for shipping some dude in South Dakota will buy it and cost me more than double to get it there via UPS.
Post removed:
by user
LOYAL AG
AG
cab559 said:

I just sold some golf clubs on eBay for the first time in a few years. Never again, the eBay fees (14%?!?) and shipping costs are so ridiculous right now. Even if I charge $20 for shipping some dude in South Dakota will buy it and cost me more than double to get it there via UPS.

eBay isn't really built around the average person creating an account to sell one thing. There's no money in that business model. It's purpose until recently has been about small business owners that operate online stores. When you do that the 14% you paid becomes <13% which includes about 2.8% merchant fees (Square is 2.75%). At that point your real fees are a bit over 10% and that's a pretty typical portion of revenue for a retail business to pay in rent.
A fearful society is a compliant society. That's why Democrats and criminals prefer their victims to be unarmed. Gun Control is not about guns, it's about control.
techno-ag
AG
LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

eBay isn't really built around the average person creating an account to sell one thing. There's no money in that business model. It's purpose until recently has been about small business owners that operate online stores. When you do that the 14% you paid becomes <13% which includes about 2.8% merchant fees (Square is 2.75%). At that point your real fees are a bit over 10% and that's a pretty typical portion of revenue for a retail business to pay in rent.
The whole point of online commerce is to avoid rent. eBay and their fees have gotten ridiculous.
Post removed:
by user
LOYAL AG
AG
techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

The whole point of online commerce is to avoid rent. eBay and their fees have gotten ridiculous.

Then build your own site. My point was that eBay is built around small retailers running a store and when you look at it that way the fee isn't much different than if that same retailer paid rent for a brick and mortar store without the geographic restrictions of brick and mortar.
LOYAL AG
AG
Yaroki said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

This is the main reason why a lot of people create their own sites and apps to sell stuff online. Yes, they need to invest in web development (though there are free or affordable web design tools), but in the end, they have a place they don't need to pay fees for. Moreover, such business owners have more possibilities such as the creation of virtual stores - 3D, 360 full-page visual experiences that live on a brand's e-commerce site.

I think if you have the ability or resources to do this it's a much better option as long as you can drive traffic to your site.
Diggity
AG
LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

Then build your own site. My point was that eBay is built around small retailers running a store and when you look at it that way the fee isn't much different than if that same retailer paid rent for a brick and mortar store without the geographic restrictions of brick and mortar.
I think the other major benefit to sites like ebay over traditional B&M is that a merchant only pays (most of) those fees if/when they sell. The fixed costs are much lower from that standpoint.
techno-ag
AG
LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

My point is many small retailers are looking for lower costs and they're not going to find it on eBay. Shopify and the like have made market share on this. That combined with eBay's legendary negative attitude toward sellers and seller complaints, like the time they sent a harassment team out to somebody's house and mailed a pig fetus and cockroaches to them.

TL/DR stay away from eBay as a seller.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/06/15/ebay-executives-harassment-newsletter-authors/3194199001/
YouBet
AG
techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

My point is many small retailers are looking for lower costs and they're not going to find it on eBay. Shopify and the like have made market share on this. That combined with eBay's legendary negative attitude toward sellers and seller complaints, like the time they sent a harassment team out to somebody's house and mailed a pig fetus and cockroaches to them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2020/06/15/ebay-executives-harassment-newsletter-authors/3194199001/

Shopify and Big Commerce are the major players now and Shopify is most of that. I haven't heard eBay mentioned once in my time dabbling in this world. Granted, Shopify and Big Commerce are SMBs and eBay is more sole proprietorships.
AggieBaseball06
AG
The company I work for has a small online shop- mainly just an extra revenue stream and a way to connect with our customers. We use Shopify and it makes it SO EASY to do everything. But we have a nice website and a strong social media presence anyway.

I think Ebay is a good option for those who don't have an established marketing presence. I don't need to know about the existence of an Ebay seller before I want to buy their product. But if someone has established a following, using something like Shopify through their own website would be the preferable choice for sure.
LOYAL AG
AG
Diggity said:

LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

I think the other major benefit to sites like ebay over traditional B&M is that a merchant only pays (most of) those fees if/when they sell. The fixed costs are much lower from that standpoint.

This is a good point. Her fixed cost is $60/month. The rest is based on sales.
LOYAL AG
AG
techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

We didn't experience problems with support. In the few times when there was a problem they sided with whomever had done the best job with communication and done things the way eBay wants them done. I don't recall a situation where she felt like she'd gotten a bad deal.

I may be misinformed but I don't see eBay and Shopify as competitors at least not for what we were selling. eBay has significant shopper traffic for people not concerned about whose store it is only that they can find something they want. Shopify seems to me like a platform to build a store but do they bring traffic to you? Maybe I missed something there.
ABATTBQ11
AG
techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

techno-ag said:

LOYAL AG said:

cab559 said:

That is absolutely bizarre. It's insane that people that high up would care that much and go to those lengths, but it's almost crazier that so many people beneath them would just go along with it without going to HR or higher ups, including two former police captains. I looked into the sentencing, and there was a bunch of prison time handed out. One exec got 5 years, and another got 2. Even some of the lower people "doing what they were told" got a year in federal prison.

Some of those people were in their mid-20's and early 30's, and their careers are basically over, too. I'd never trust someone in an analytical or security role with federal felonies for cyber stalking and harassment on their record. It's also not like a Google search isn't going to bring that up even if they get it expunged or sealed. No way they're going to get another job in that field. I just can't imagine what would make someone risk their entire future for something so stupid and that they absolutely know is wrong.
62strat
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I'm talking about as a low level, one man operation using a 3rd party site like eBay.

When you make a sale: The online marketplace gets their cut.. then there is shipping costs. After those slices are taken, you will still have to report earnings to the IRS for their pound of flesh.

The cherry on top is that the customer is always right and you will have to factor in a percentage on return costs from dishonest or regretful customers.

I'm not considering creating an online business, just more or less thinking out loud on the subject.

Outside of finding some perfect product with considerable margin, I could imagine 90% of low scale online stores on eBay/Amazon etc etc just aren't worth the hassle.
My neighbors started an online store selling baby products. a few years later, they buy a $1m+, 30 acre property about 15 miles out from where we live, while still owning their current house (non contingent sale), AND this was after buying a several hundred thousand dollar parcel that they ended up not using (were wanting to build).

So they owned 2 homes and property all at once. Oh yeh, and they were late 20s when they did all this.

Seemed to work for them.
jwoodmd
62strat said:

FAT SEXY said:

My neighbors started an online store selling baby products. a few years later, they buy a $1m+, 30 acre property about 15 miles out from where we live, while still owning their current house (non contingent sale), AND this was after buying a several hundred thousand dollar parcel that they ended up not using (were wanting to build).

So they owned 2 homes and property all at once. Oh yeh, and they were late 20s when they did all this.

Seemed to work for them.
How do you know the online store was responsible for all that - million other factors could have been at work there.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.