Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Apple vs. Microsoft, Which to Buy?

3,474 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tailgatetimer10
OldArmyCT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Morningstar ran some analytics comparing these 2 stocks with a goal of deciding which to buy. Spoiler Alert, it's MSFT. Both are down along with everything else I own but given the market's history it's time to consider buying. I need to find one on Amazon, there's no way it stays at $2212.
https://stocks.apple.com/AXxecUaY3TgmD5OXORE2yQw
LMCane
OldArmyCT said:

Morningstar ran some analytics comparing these 2 stocks with a goal of deciding which to buy. Spoiler Alert, it's MSFT. Both are down along with everything else I own but given the market's history it's time to consider buying. I need to find one on Amazon, there's no way it stays at $2212.

interesting

I would think Apple is a better long term play and has been holding its value better than MSFT
bmks270
AG
I like MSFT of the two, I think they have a more resilient business model and product. However, AAPL continues to surprise me with their innovation. Bother are solid companies.
OldArmyCT
AG
Microsoft dominates the Cloud, Apple makes their own chips, ergo no shortages. And they're both on sale.
Diggity
AG
I don't think they make their own chips
Chipotlemonger
AG
You could just hedge and buy them at a 50/50 split.
TecRecAg
AG
I own both and continue to buy more on dips. Flip a coin if deciding between the two
OldArmyCT
AG
Diggity said:

Stay up now. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/11/10/why-apple-is-breaking-a-15-year-partnership-with-intel-on-its-macs-.html
Schall 02
AG
Actually, Samsung makes a lot of their chips.
akaggie05
AG
And TSMC. Their new chips are a semi-custom design based on the ARM architecture. They own the IP but contract out the manufacturing.
Whirligigs
Buy the company that doesn't have over-leverage of debt. If it's both then none - rates are slowly going up but inflation isn't stopping. Now I'm concerned - the game is up - zombie corps are ****ed if this keeps up.
fightingfarmer09
Diggity said:

The M1 chip. And it's amazing.
Diggity
AG
I think some of you guys are confused between designing a chip and actually manufacturing it.
LMCane
Chipotlemonger said:

You could just hedge and buy them at a 50/50 split.
that's pretty much what I have been doing

every day of a dip buying one of each Apple and Microsoft.

then I am now hearing analysts claiming "Big Tech FAANG" stocks are dinosaurs and the real winners will be small and mid caps.

great!!
OldArmyCT
AG
Diggity said:

I think some of you guys are confused between designing a chip and actually manufacturing it.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/apples-not-so-secret-plan-to-take-another-gigantic-bite-of-the-microchip-market-11651291235?st=j5wbwt11f3f2nak&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
Diggity
AG
I'm really not sure what your point is with any of the articles you've posted.

Nobody is saying that Apple doesn't design and have a lot of control over their chips. They just don't happen to manufacture the majority of them, which is what you originally stated.
Andy07
AG
If that's the standard then Apple doesn't really manufacture anything. Foxconn, Pegatron, Wistron, and a bunch of others make the iPhone.
Chipotlemonger
AG
The intricacies of semiconductor manufacturing are a little bit different than electronic assembly, it is a little bit of an apples to oranges situation.
yemtig
AG
OldArmyCT said:

Amazon will begin trading on June 6th after their 20-1 stock split, so you are in luck. If trading began on monday, based on todays close it would be around $113.05/share... I know I'm buying some once it splits to add to my portfolio.
Sully Dog
When is the ex date on the split?
yemtig
AG
Shareholders on record as of May 27th will recieve the split. All shares you own on this date at market close will apply to the split. I would wait to buy as usually you can get an even bigger discount after a split in the first week or month.. Sometimes longer. With the market environment and rising interest rates I think we have a leg or two down into the summer. We'll see as sometimes the market does what it wants to do. Remember, all this does is increase the investor pool for amazon, nothing more. The market cap is still the same. But it will allow me to trade this stock, with all its volatility, to make some coin.
Sully Dog
I'm hoping to hedge it a play both ends of the split. It think AMZN is a good value now regardless of the split.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
tailgatetimer10
AG
OldArmyCT said:

Microsoft dominates the Cloud, Apple makes their own chips, ergo no shortages. And they're both on sale.

The only accurate thing in this statement is that they are on sale.

-MSFT does not 'dominate the cloud', AMZN (AWS) does.
-Apple designs only the M1 chip, TSMC (also publicly traded) builds their chips. If you want to go further down into it companies like ASE/SPIL package their chips and Foxconn integrates them.
Herknav
AG
//Yea and if China does invade Taiwan (follow on to Russia/Ukraine) would the western world sanction Foxcon? A geopolitical risk for Apple shares.//just my thoughts.//Herknav
//Herknav sends//
AgCPA95
AG
Sully Dog said:

When is the ex date on the split?
Last I saw ex date would be June 3rd, but for record date is May 27th.
LMCane
so on the split day- is there some kind of bonus to current shareholders?

else who cares?
tailgatetimer10
AG
For a stock worth 2500 to 3k it results in more options play and accessibility. which typically results in a stock price increase. But yes, it should be a 'so what' activity.
tremble
AG
MSFT. Exposure to decoupling and Chinese invasion of Taiwan is minuscule compared to Apple. If you don't think it's going to be an issue, the Germans would like a word concerning Russian aggression.

Ludicrously, Apple has doubled down on manufacturing in China, despite all the signs.
LMCane
tailgatetimer10 said:

For a stock worth 2500 to 3k it results in more options play and accessibility. which typically results in a stock price increase. But yes, it should be a 'so what' activity.
thanks.

so if I am not playing options ever then really it's meaningless correct?
LMCane
tremble said:

MSFT. Exposure to decoupling and Chinese invasion of Taiwan is minuscule compared to Apple. If you don't think it's going to be an issue, the Germans would like a word concerning Russian aggression.

Ludicrously, Apple has doubled down on manufacturing in China, despite all the signs.
good points
tailgatetimer10
AG
It enables you to do amazon options if you would like. If you're a shareholder it comes with some volume and price increase... other than that, nothing changes
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.