Business & Investing
Sponsored by

GDP turns negative, one down one to go until "recession"...

3,783 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by evan_aggie
LMCane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Official Countdown to US Recession thread
Quote:

www.zerohedge.com

"moments ago the BEA reported that in Q1, the US economy and GDP in fact shrank by 1.4%,

shocking consensus estimates of a 1.0% GDP print (to be fair, a few Wall Street analysts did predict a negative print but the consensus was by and large for continued growth)."

for a recession you need two quarters of negative GDP growth, and turns out we are in negative growth right now.

which no one in the government has acknowledged could possibly be happening.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
And Here. We. Go
RockOn
Wow, probably should sell stocks and go 100% cash
Outdoorag011
What an absolute joke our economy is. We can't do anything unless uncle Jerome is by our side printing the USD into oblivion keeping markets afloat.
LostInLA07
AG
Cut rates to zero! Let's pass a stimulus bill! Woohoo!
LMCane
Outdoorag011 said:

What an absolute joke our economy is. We can't do anything unless uncle Jerome is by our side printing the USD into oblivion keeping markets afloat.

the problem is that now what does the Fed do?

raise rates into a recession?!

lower rates to try to stimulate the economy when rates are already ZIRP?

more stimulus with massive inflation still raging?!
Yesterday
AG
LMCane said:

Outdoorag011 said:

the problem is that now what does the Fed do?

raise rates into a recession?!

lower rates to try to stimulate the economy when rates are already ZIRP?

more stimulus with massive inflation still raging?!

I think they realize they have to bite the bullet and keep raising rates. But they're all corrupt so who knows.
LMCane
Finally, The Fed's favorite inflation rate - the PCE Deflator -

rose by 6.6% Year over Year (slightly less than the 6.7% YoY expected) but still the highest since Jan 1982

(while the core PCE deflator fell back very modestly from multi-decade highs).

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They need to continue raising rates imo. Recession is preferable to 20% inflation.
evan_aggie
AG
Especially when salaries aren't able to keep up
Sully Dog
Brian Earl Spilner said:

They need to continue raising rates imo. Recession is preferable to 20% inflation.
In truth we may get both.

ETA: We have outsourced everything of material value in the US and so we may get a recession and still wont be able to control inflation from abroad.
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
rgleml
AG
In a related subject, I read a newspaper article that said the deficit is lower this year and the debt will decrease in the next quarter. Covid spending resulted in a huge deficit last year. I think we spent about 6 trillion in Covid relief. There is no way we could sustain that level of spending, but a deficit will not decrease the level of debt. In order to decrease debt, we have to have a surplus. It seems like people fail to understand the difference between debt and deficit.
LostInLA07
AG
Maybe debt will decrease slightly for one quarter because Q2 usually records a bunch of tax payments?
LMCane
unemployment ticks up today

Worker output fell 7.5% in the first quarter, the biggest decline since 1947
FrioAg 00
AG
A normal recession wouldn't scare me at all - we need it, actually

What scares is me is that the Fed has burned all of its toolset during covid, when it was completely unnecessary. They have nothing left, or at least they shouldn't.

But with the current political climate, these loons will try to max debt beyond anyone's imagination in the name of "relief" and "stimulus". This could blow the cover off the ball and send us into far uncharted waters.

LMCane
US Gas Prices Soar As Europe And Asia Scramble For LNG

MONDAY, MAY 09, 2022 - 08:06 AM By John Kemp, Senior Market Analyst at Reuters

U.S. gas prices have surged to the highest level in real terms since the financial crisis in 2008 as strong demand for LNG from buyers in Europe and Asia puts pressure on inventories.

Front-month futures for gas delivered to Henry Hub in Louisiana are trading at almost $9 per million British thermal units, up from just over $3 at the same point last year and less than $3 in 2019.

Diesel in Frederick Maryland this weekend: $6.37 at Costco

WAWA
Regular $4.40
Midgrade $4.82
Premium $4.93
Diesel $6.00
RockOn
I think the last time I bought gasoline was pre-russia invasion.
Serotonin
AG
Outdoorag011 said:

Yep, I've avidly lurked on this board for a long time and many posters have been warning about this day for the last decade.

Easy money, QE, low rates, everyone thought the party would last forever.

Well now it's all going wrong for the Fed and there's nowhere to run. The day of reckoning has arrived.
evan_aggie
AG
"Economists" don't know ***** With energy prices as high as they are, and services still sky high while wages start to trail...we are all feeling the squeeze more than ever.

House sales will continue to plummet. The entire industry is going to contract a little.

People have already reached a breaking point of "what can I live without" or "how can I save money".

This is starting to trickle into the system. Supply limits, high prices, waning demand. The ball is rolling now.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.