Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Best long term investment?

4,103 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by YouBet
BmtAg96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have some funds I would like to invest for long term growth. I am leaning toward S&P 500 index fund but wondering if I should also diversify some of it in a few more speculative investments? I have not entered the crypto fray and was wondering your thoughts on which one is best for long term growth potential? What % of investment would you invest in crypto?

Also looking at increasing investments in a few stocks I already own and consider good long term holds i.e. tesla, apple, amazon.

Just for reference I also have a 401k through my job that I contribute up to the company match each year which is 6%.
Stive
AG
In
utah, get me two
TQQQ DCA $2k/ week
barnag
Bitcoin
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I think buying tech stock etfs in this dip is a great long term investment…if by long term we mean multiple years.

But what do I know…
BmtAg96
AG
Got any recommendations for certain ETFs?
JSKolache
AG
Where did you buy TSLA and AMZN? When they were cheap, or did you overpay massively like all the stimulus kids? All Tech is overbought right now and reverting to mean.

I have some total market index funds, but they are soft right now (becuase they are heavy on Tech ... see above.) For long term, you want health care indexes, utility indexes, total markets indexes (wait a month or two on totals), or just buy into BRK.B since uncle warren has diversified for you.

I like Bitcoin, get some right now under 40.

If you want some dividend income, buy into oil pipeline stocks for 5+% divs.
lobwedgephil
TQQQ way underperforms QQQ long term. It should only be used in short term trading.
Chipotlemonger
AG
BmtAg96 said:

VTI

VDE or VGT if you want to gamble some.
Husky Boy Jr.
AG
I'm in VGT and QQQ
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
BmtAg96 said:

QQQ is the best ETF for long term imo
BmtAg96
AG
JSKolache said:

Where did you buy TSLA and AMZN? When they were cheap, or did you overpay massively like all the stimulus kids? All Tech is overbought right now and reverting to mean. I have some total market index funds, but they are soft right now (becuase they are heavy on Tech ... see above.) For long term, you want health care indexes, utility indexes, total markets indexes (wait a month or two on totals), or just buy into BRK.B since uncle warren has diversified for you.

I like Bitcoin, get some right now under 40.

If you want some dividend income, buy into oil pipeline stocks for 5+% divs.

My stake in TSLA is up 217% and AMZN 180%
OldArmyCT
AG
Don't overthink it, just buy an index, preferably the S&P.
There is no magic single stock, MNST once was the leading single stock for a decade once for example. Pull up a chart for AMZN since inception and ask yourself if you would have stayed in for the long haul. FWIW my cost basis for Apple is $10.25, Amazon $377. I hate to sell.
LMCane
BmtAg96 said:

I have some funds I would like to invest for long term growth. I am leaning toward S&P 500 index fund but wondering if I should also diversify some of it in a few more speculative investments? I have not entered the crypto fray and was wondering your thoughts on which one is best for long term growth potential? What % of investment would you invest in crypto?

Also looking at increasing investments in a few stocks I already own and consider good long term holds i.e. tesla, apple, amazon.

Just for reference I also have a 401k through my job that I contribute up to the company match each year which is 6%.

why not diversify?

some Bitcoin
some Ethereum
some gold
some REITS
some SP ETF
some DIA ETF
some ONEQ
Sb1540
BTC, AVAX, LUNA
Sully Dog
BmtAg96 said:

VGT
Deplorable Neanderthal Clinger
LMCane
Sully Dog said:

BmtAg96 said:

VGT
VGT has been getting hammered

$467 several months ago now $384

I have a lot of this position though- should be a long term play that works out for everyone
utah, get me two
Money printer is down, but tech overall is down. Once everything calms down I see it going up
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Vasectomy
12thMan9
AG
BmtAg96 said:

Buy an income stream. Buy dividend producing stocks. Personally, I have EPD, 7%-8% dividend yield consistent. There are others. Buy into MF syndications w/a rate of return you like. Buy you a SF, or several depending on how much "funds" you have, & rent it/them out.
Ronnie '88
Decay
AG
The best long term investment is your own health tbh
AggiEE
There's a misconception that growth and technology are the best performing long term assets. They are not overall. Small Cap Value companies have higher discount rates (risks) that in aggregate outperform growth considerably over the long term.

Good funds can be found from DFA or Avantis
YouBet
AG
Decay said:

The best long term investment is your own health tbh
Look at me; I'm insightful.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.