Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Custom Suits for Business?

14,398 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AgCPA95
Sarge 91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ordered from online outlets like Indochino or MTailor? How about Tom James or other made to order clothiers? Best value and package deals?

Looking to drop some $ on a couple of suits and blazers and wondering about the board's experience.
mosdefn14
AG
I buy my dress pants custom from Jos A Bank. I've been very happy with them. Intrigued by the online thing, but haven't tried it. Quite a few guys in the office (at least Pre-Covid) bought from Tom James regularly, no one spoke negatively of them.
Stive
AG
I can get 2-3 suits from Bobby G for the price of a Tom James.

If you can hold off until late summer, Bobby will be back stateside and in a city near you.
Stive
AG
https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2967162

Here's an old thread talking about him.
Sarge 91
AG
Stive said:

If you can hold off until late summer, Bobby will be back stateside and in a city near you.
Who is Bobby G?
Sarge 91
AG
Stive said:

https://texags.com/forums/57/topics/2967162

Here's an old thread talking about him.
Thanks
Duncan Idaho
Pre-covid I would have recommended traveling to china/Hong Kong for a few days.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
You guys still wear suits?
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
Whirligigs
I wear suits sometimes - but not nearly as much post Covid.
aggie_wes
AG
I ordered a suit on Indochino and I'm happy with it. I only need it 2 or 3 times a year and it's held up well for that. The fit was good as well, I didn't need to get it altered.
CPAAg
AG
Look up Drew Jones with Harper and Jones. Aggie and all around good guy
ktownag08
AG
If you like the fit, it's hard to beat SuitSupply. They have a range of materials/styles from lower cost to higher end. I have a few of them, and they've held up really well over the last few years, and I find myself in a suit fairly often.
AgCPA95
AG
Stive said:

I will 2nd this. I did the Tom James thing years ago after they blanketed our office with a few pairs of pants and some dress shirts. They were OK quality and fit was fine, but price was insane. Bobby's price and quality isn't even comparable.

My wife bought me a Jos a bank shirt once and it seemed like it had about 2x the amount of fabric needed...and I'm not a slim guy AT ALL.
Stive
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Stive said:

I will 2nd this. I did the Tom James thing years ago after they blanketed our office with a few pairs of pants and some dress shirts. They were OK quality and fit was fine, but price was insane. Bobby's price and quality isn't even comparable.

My wife bought me a Jos a bank shirt once and it seemed like it had about 2x the amount of fabric needed...and I'm not a slim guy AT ALL.

This!!! My wife and mother in law have finally stopped buying me dress shirts off the rack after 5-6 years of using Bobby. Most anything direct from the store has TONS of extra fabric in the sleeves and around the middle when I find something that fits my shoulders/neck. Feels like I'm wearing a poncho.
dc509
AG
I've got some custom suits and blazers from Q Clothier. If there is one near you check them out. They do a phenomenal job.
The Pilot
AG
Bobby is great. I have a few shirts from him.
one MEEN Ag
AG
AgCPA95 said:

Stive said:

Everyone's a slim cut at Jos A Bank.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Just got an email from Bobby this morning that he will be in the states from April 25 - May 18. He'll send out his city itinerary in a couple of days I imagine.
EvenPar
AG
I buy custom suits and dress shirts regular from my
J.Hilburn rep. She drives up to BCS from Houston when I need a fitting, to select fabrics and colors, and to deliver the order.

I bought suits and shirts off the rack for years. Should have switched to custom a long time ago. The quality is far superior, lasts longer, actually fits correctly, and I'm complimented nearly every time I wear one of the suits. If you're in the business world and need a suit it's definitely worth the investment.

You can check out the J.Hilburn web site to see if you might be interested. If so shoot me a PM and I'll get her contact info to you.
Sarge 91
AG
vmiaptetr said:

Just got an email from Bobby this morning that he will be in the states from April 25 - May 18. He'll send out his city itinerary in a couple of days I imagine.
In Austin May 4-6.
moses1084ever
AG
A friend used Indochino for his wedding. It was a complete ****show. Suits were wrong or didnt even turn up (like mine). Avoid them like the plague.
YouBet
AG
I used Alton Lane in Dallas. Purchased 2 suits and several shirts. They do package deals. Fully custom with all kinds of materials and options and price was reasonable. This was all around 2017 though.

Have been happy with my purchase although I never wear any of it much anymore. Maybe once a year.
Pinochet
Got MTailor jeans that are really nice and fit really well. The first pair fit awful and they updated once I sent them some pictures. They got it dead on with the No hassle replacement pair. No idea on the other stuff but for the price I would probably try it.
Canyon99
I've meant to get an appt with Bobby for a few years now and need to make a point to do it this year. Any chance he will be in San Antonio while in Texas?
Comeby!
AG
I have 6-7 suits from Bobby and over 25-30 shirts. A few jeans, chinos and at least 2 dozen dress pants ordered over the years. The man makes great clothes. He's even made my son some vests and my wife some linen shirts.
northeastag
AG
I purchased a suit from BlackLapel once. Concept was that they took all of your measurements and did a custom tailoring job for you the first time (in their studio) and then after that they have your info and can just send you a custom suit that fits any time you order it online. Sounds great. It isn't. I sent it back once and then just hung the replacement in the closet after that.

Problem for us old guys is that the new cut of suit that just about every store and tailor is selling look like they are made for you when you were in middle school and you're still trying to wear them. Tight, and you need a cut physique to pull it off. I ain't! And they seemed to be pitching the same stuff in Hong Kong the last time I was there.

If you want an old style classic suit like Cary Grant or Clark Gable used to wear, you've got to go to an old line tailor to make from scratch.
Comeby!
AG
Bobby knows this, get American cut, not European.
OasisMan
AG
I just ordered Amazon essentials
nrm02
AG
austinAG90
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

You guys still wear suits?

How did I miss this….I've worn shorts and t-shirts for over 20 years unless a client comes to the office and then it's jeans and a golf shirt….pre-Covid last trip to NYC was casual as I've ever seen it…

But I'd you are going to need suits go with a tailor or trust someone at at retail store….we bought our son 3 suits and tons of shirts from JosB (old Aggie gf ran several stores and gave a nice discount) and that is fine quality stuff…now he wears shorts and a t-shirt.
LMCane
Sarge 91 said:

Anyone ordered from online outlets like Indochino or MTailor? How about Tom James or other made to order clothiers? Best value and package deals?

Looking to drop some $ on a couple of suits and blazers and wondering about the board's experience.
don't do it

wait until there is a trunk show in Dallas where you can have real Asian tailors suit you out and can feel and see hundreds of samples.

I bought a $4000 suit in DC handmade from Singapore.

fits perfectly. Is it worth it? not really but to do it once in a lifetime is not the worst expense in the world.
monarch
S
Before I retired I bought my suits from Dillards in the Woodlands and would take them to a small mom and dad place near my house off 249. Excellent tailoring. All my dress shirts, ties etc come from that same Dillards and are the Dillards gold label brand. Shirts were always excellent plus my tailor would embroider them too. I wear a lot of mock turtleneck shirts too and I found this guy called Diamond Apparel in North Carolina. They make everything for me - collars fit, sleeve length is perfect, overall shirt length is perfect, colors don't fade, etc. The guy off 249 measured me once, put my dimensions on a form sheet of his and I sent that info to the guy in North Carolina and whenever I want to change some shirts out I call them and I have shirts within two weeks. Not cheap but well worth the expense.
Peace for Ukraine!
Canyon99
Does anyone know if Bobby is coming to San Antonio next month?
Aggie09Derek
AG
He got Covid and had to postpone his trip
RightWingConspirator
AG
I use a guy who comes into Houston twice per year from Thailand. His name is Raj. For $345 he'll make you a completely customize suit. He'll take measurements you didn't even think were relevant, but he makes a nice suit.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.