Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Giving $ Anonymously

1,960 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Never_seen_em_quit
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wanting to gift some money to a friend in need. I am not local. What's the easiest way to do this anonymously? Can I setup a PayPal or Venmo without my name or info viewable?
cjo03
AG
Know anyone you trust locally that could deliver personally?

We've rolled the dice and sent gift cards anonymously before. Put the persons work address as the return address in case it got lost somehow.
Pepper Brooks
AG
Setup accounts on strike. You'll have to connect a bank account but it's about as anonymous as you can get,

https://strike.me/en/
Dill-Ag13
AG
Cashiers check without your name on it
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Cashiers check I believe can be traced if it came out of an acct. But as cash it can't be.

Money order from po is impossible to trace back to sender. I've actually done this before to help someone.
chris1515
AG
That is supposed to be hard to do in order to reduce money laundering or other movements of illicit funds.

The gift card idea is probably pretty good. Although I guess if you're not local to them, the postmark location might be a tip off on where it came from.
Kenneth_2003
AG
They active in a church? Might be able to contact their pastor to be the middle-man
The Anchor
AG
Find a trusted 3rd party that will keep you anonymous.
12thMan9
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Wanting to gift some money to a friend in need. I am not local. What's the easiest way to do this anonymously? Can I setup a PayPal or Venmo without my name or info viewable?

Why do you want to gift a friend ANONYMOUSLY?
Ronnie '88
htxag09
AG
12thMan9 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Because some people need help but have too much pride to accept something from a friend? Or would feel obligated to pay them back and the OP doesn't want them to think they need to or to worry about that?
10andBOUNCE
AG
htxag09 said:

12thMan9 said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Because some people need help but have too much pride to accept something from a friend? Or would feel obligated to pay them back and the OP doesn't want them to think they need to or to worry about that?

Correct. I don't want to potentially complicate the relationship or make him uncomfortable. I think as of now, I have a friend who is a pastor at a small local church who I am hoping will play middle man for me.

Matthew 6:1-4

Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
This would obviously be a much larger commitment but one perk to setting up a Donor Advised Fund (a personal charity that has tax free growth within the account, no minimum annual donations, 100% of tax deduction taken at time of setting up account (tax strategy called bunching which works out this way because money is technically no longer in your name after donation), and an easy means of donating stocks that have a large amount of capital gains) is donations can be done anonymously.
mosdefn14
AG
You're forgetting the part about where distributions are simply "requests" and the administrator can (and should) turn down distribution requests to organizations they don't agree with.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
Curious how common that is? It was my understanding that the administrator would simply process the grant recommendation for a qualified charity >99.99% of the time, though I know they're not required to technically.
mosdefn14
AG
It's possible. My big question is what happens if churches lose tax free status. Certain factions have been pushing this for decades, and this could be the administration to do it. Can/will DAF administrators refuse to make distributions to churches? I haven't been able to get some major DAF plan sponsors answer that question.
topher06
mosdefn14 said:

It's possible. My big question is what happens if churches lose tax free status. Certain factions have been pushing this for decades, and this could be the administration to do it. Can/will DAF administrators refuse to make distributions to churches? I haven't been able to get some major DAF plan sponsors answer that question.
I'm pro religious, but people like Joel Osteen make me wish churches were taxed sometimes.
Never_seen_em_quit
AG
mosdefn14 said:

Really good consideration there. I would hope that they still allow donations to them but if it's not an IRS sanctioned charity then by rule they might not have to or even be able to
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.