Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What's your favorite book you've read in 2021

1,355 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by chris1515
Dill-Ag13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need some credit hours for a cert. Bonus points for audiobooks.
TXTransplant
I don't think I read it this year (I think it was last), but Killers of the Flower Moon is very good.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
Haven't finished either but I'm currently reading "The Prize" by Daniel Yergin and "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris and both are excellent.
GrapevineAg
AG
"Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup" by John Carreyrou. It's about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.
barnag
The Wealthy Gardener by John Soforic
Quinn
AG
GrapevineAg said:

"Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup" by John Carreyrou. It's about Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos.
This book is fantastic.
TXTransplant
Quinn said:

GrapevineAg said:

This book is fantastic.

Oh, yes! I forgot I read that one! His podcast following the trial that's in progress is very good, too.

I've been following this story since 2010-2011 and was a skeptic from the first story I read about her. I'm sort of obsessed with it now.
jh0400
AG
The Cult of We is a good read.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Thanks all, snagged bad blood on libby
Diggity
AG
"Bad Blood", "Cult of We" & "Billion Dollar Whale" have been three of my favorite business related books of the past few years.

"Empire of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Dynasty" gets a bit bogged down at points, but it's worth reading.
Quinn
AG
Empire of Pain was a great, but depressing and infuriating read. Patrick Radden Keefe, the author, does great work. I really enjoyed his book on The Troubles "Say Nothing" and his podcast "Winds of Change".
Diggity
AG
don't get me wrong, it's an important story and I'm glad that I read it.

It was just the pacing and structure of the book that threw me a bit. It started off as a bio of the patriarch then abruptly changed to an examination of Purdue Pharmacy then shifted to court reporting style narrative and gossipy society style stories about some of the younger members of the family.
GrapevineAg
AG
Quinn said:

Empire of Pain was a great, but depressing and infuriating read. Patrick Radden Keefe, the author, does great work. I really enjoyed his book on The Troubles "Say Nothing" and his podcast "Winds of Change".
Just listened to this podcast over the last 2 weeks - it's a fun listen.
YouBet
AG
Keeping it to business....Billion Dollar Whale is a must read. Absolutely incredible grifter tale. I can't imagine there isn't a movie in the works for this. Ironically, Leo DiCaprio is part of the real-life tale in a substantial way.
chris1515
AG
"The Gambler", the story of Kirk Kerkorian.

I'd heard of him but never understood who he really was. Incredible story.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.