Business & Investing
Sponsored by

What to do with large amount of cash short term?

2,238 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Fightin_Aggie
HoustonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have $100k+ cash in my savings account that I have an investment plan for in the next 6-18 months depending on how things work out.

With inflation going crazy, what is the best thing to do with it until I am ready to use it?

azul_rain
Leave it there, or HYS
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
Done7
Bitcoin. Maybe not all 100k, but I would put a good chunk in bitcoin.
12thMan9
AG
RHMMX. Victory high yield mini bond fund. Liquid, paying about 4%+. I have $100K there for investments if right opportunity comes along.
Ronnie '88
deadbq03
AG
SCHP
Old RV Ag
AG
How about staff put this question on the top and stick it there - it's a question every month or so.
YouBet
AG
Old RV Ag said:

How about staff put this question on the top and stick it there - it's a question every month or so.
And I swear it's by the same guy too! Probably not but seems like it.
azul_rain
Make me a moderator and I'll take care of that
you may all go to hell and i will go to Texas
deadbq03
AG
I agree we do frequently get the "how to invest [insert 6 or 7 figure number here]."

I'd argue that this is a more nuanced situation. OP is clearly saving for something (home purchase, perhaps?) and is specifically concerned about inflation, so the answers here ought to focus on that.

I wouldn't recommend TIPs-based ETFs on the classic "help me invest $X" thread, but since the concern here was inflation, then it's a good choice to consider, so I recommended SCHP.
JSKolache
AG
Buy oil pipeline stocks (& consider BP & Shell as well)

Pros: OPEC has forced oil prices to 7 yr highs - this should maintain for several months while those gov't pad their public coffers. Pipelines pay dividends of 6-8% per year (halve that if you only have 6 mo window)

Cons: pipe stock prices are well into upswing recovery after covid/WTI price tank - so may not be much higher to go (but those divs are a lock and and offset for small stock price declines.)

Done7
Done7
Considering we are at 7 years highs, wouldn't you think the rewards is low for the amount of risk you will be taking by buying in oil for the short-term?
TrustTheAwesomeness
AG
12thMan9 said:

RHMMX. Victory high yield mini bond fund. Liquid, paying about 4%+. I have $100K there for investments if right opportunity comes along.

This sounded interesting, so I looked up the summary prospectus.
If I'm reading it correctly, there is a 3% management fee that is waived through April 2022. You might look at it to make sure I didn't misinterpret.

Ogre09
AG
Hookers and blow
Baby Billy
AG
You misinterpreted
RoseRichAg01
IVOL
YouBet
AG
TrustTheAwesomeness said:

12thMan9 said:

This sounded interesting, so I looked up the summary prospectus.
If I'm reading it correctly, there is a 3% management fee that is waived through April 2022. You might look at it to make sure I didn't misinterpret.

3%? Damn that's high.
JSKolache
AG
Done7 said:

Considering we are at 7 years highs, wouldn't you think the rewards is low for the amount of risk you will be taking by buying in oil for the short-term?
No, pipes are still undervalued with good upside. Most oil supermajors have fullly recovered (except BP Shell).
12thMan9
AG
My apologies, wrong fund. RSHMX is the correct fund.

If you're looking at longer term, EPD is another good one. I've been a long time holder of this, currently paying a $.45/sh dividend. My cost basis is in the $17/sh range so a nice appreciation of late, but a 6-8% dividend yield is hard to give up.
Ronnie '88
Fightin_Aggie
AG
JSKolache said:

Buy oil pipeline stocks (& consider BP & Shell as well)

Pros: OPEC has forced oil prices to 7 yr highs - this should maintain for several months while those gov't pad their public coffers. Pipelines pay dividends of 6-8% per year (halve that if you only have 6 mo window)

Cons: pipe stock prices are well into upswing recovery after covid/WTI price tank - so may not be much higher to go (but those divs are a lock and and offset for small stock price declines.)

The mlp structure has become an enormous pain in the ass for retirement accounts. Reporting requirements are stupid

At this point I want to avoid them and stick with the mid tier oil developers EOG, Devon, Cabot, ovintiv (FAA Encana)

Valero looks interesting too, their debt is high though
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.