Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Biden tax plan

15,939 Views | 126 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by YouBet
OldArmyBrent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We can disagree, but the theory on the Hill is that this stuff has been out there for months, so there's no problem making it retroactive like that. There is no constitutional problem with it being retro, it's just the political problem. This is seen as something that makes the rich pay their fair share.
Fightin_Aggie
AG
AggiEE said:

YouBet said:

FYI - the billionaires wealth tax has been cut from the bill. Pelosi didn't want it because I guess too many of her friends were impacted.

Carried Interest restrictions for PE were also cut.

Funny how this bill does a lot to prevent middle class earners from contributing to a Roth, but allows the extremely rich to continue on with their much more unfair loopholes....

Bill is disgusting. Should be retitled from "Build Back Better" to "Benefit Bimodel Better" since it basically mostly harms the middle class.

This whole administration should change from the Biden administration to the SCREW THE MIDDLE CLASS ADMINISTRATION
The world needs mean tweets

My Pronouns Ultra and MAGA

Trump 2024
TexasAg21
I believe the current bill has removed the ability to use a Backdoor Roth unfortunately but has increased the SALT tax deduction (helpful for me since I have state income taxes here in Colorado).
AggiEE
OldArmyBrent said:

We can disagree, but the theory on the Hill is that this stuff has been out there for months, so there's no problem making it retroactive like that. There is no constitutional problem with it being retro, it's just the political problem. This is seen as something that makes the rich pay their fair share.

All I'm saying is that if you contribute to a backdoor Roth in January, then they will need to pass new legislation to allow it to be recharacterized back (if my understanding is correct, the recharacterization went away in 2017).
YouBet
AG
The CBO has released a new cost score of $3T added to the deficit for BBB assuming the measures are extended during the 10 yr window of scoring. As it stands, some will sunset over the course of 10 yrs which allows the Dems to use the lower cost figure.

However, the Democrats are on record saying the point of this legislation is to get it in place as a first step and get the populace hooked to the new programs. Thus, extension will be demanded when the time comes to do that.

No reason not to use the $3T cost number considering the Dems intent. Hopefully, it at least gets massively gutted, but I won't hold out much hope for that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is this Senate vote happening today?
AggiEE
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Is this Senate vote happening today?

No, it's not expected to go to a vote this week
YouBet
AG
I just got a summary update from my FA on the latest tax changes in BBB, specifically the Senate text. There are no differences between the House text and Senate text at this point other than the SALT deduction.

The house text temporarily raises it to $80K. The senate version is listed as TBD; it's been left empty so it can be amended later. Everything else is the same and all of the provisions previously dropped are still dropped. The Billionaires tax is currently dropped and still being debated.

Schumer is wanting to vote on the Senate text by end of year, but Democrats are now bracing for it to slide into 2022.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well I just dropped my after-tax contributions to my 401k, since I'm assuming this will be retroactive to Jan 2022.

Thanks a lot Biden.
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well I just dropped my after-tax contributions to my 401k, since I'm assuming this will be retroactive to Jan 2022.

Thanks a lot Biden.

Are you doing this because of Biden's 401k reform idea?

If so, that never made it into BBB in the first place.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It was dropped but later readded. (After-tax contributions will no longer be allowed to be converted to a Roth, aka the mega backdoor Roth contribution, for all income levels)
YouBet
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

It was dropped but later readded. (After-tax contributions will no longer be allowed to be converted to a Roth, aka the mega backdoor Roth contribution, for all income levels)
I was thinking about his overall idea to make them tax credits which wouldn't have even mattered here.
AggiEE
So far BBB is DOA
2wealfth Man
AG
AggiEE said:

So far BBB is DOA
Manchin not caving in; good for him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Now I'm not sure if I should be keep doing after-tax contributions or not in case it passes and I end up owing taxes on them anyway.
2wealfth Man
AG
Go ahead and do a 2021 contribution (and backdoor to Roth) if you haven't already. Roth conversions must be dated no later the 12/31. Hold off on after tax contributions for 2022 until we get a better feel for legislative moves in 2022. Dems will likely try to amend and resubmit some kind of spending bill here after the 1st of the year.
YouBet
AG
I'm not sure why I'm saying this because these are Democrats we are talking about but you would assume any retroactive action would be in the current year that the bill passes and not reach back to closed years.
2wealfth Man
AG
well, I know the IRS opens up the filing system typically at the end of Jan. They are really screwed trying to implement changes if they go much past the end of the year. Especially now with a COVID depleted workforce. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but what a Charlie Foxtrot that would be.
AggiEE
He won't vote for the bill at all. It's completely dead

I hope the Dems aren't able to get a new one off the ground either
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hm.. so safe to keep doing mega backdoor roth contributions in 2022 in y'alls opinion?
AggiEE
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hm.. so safe to keep doing mega backdoor roth contributions in 2022 in y'alls opinion?

Yes, although you may want to front load after-tax first just in case a new bill comes back up
YouBet
AG
FYI - Got the 2022 investment forecast from financial advisor's firm. They do not expect any tax reform as proposed in the BBB to happen in 2022 at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.