Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Leveraged ETF?

889 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by jh0400
AColunga07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A buddy recommended to invest a small amount (less than 100k) in some leveraged ETFs. Do any of y'all do this? It seems like a cheap way to double down on your investment strategy. Sure, I'll take twice the hit when times are bad, but I'll also get twice the gain when it's good. Is it that simple?

Consider a leveraged S&P500 ETF for the feedback.
Dr. Horrible
I can say I regret not being in spxl more since I started this game.
Post removed:
by user
AColunga07
AG
I regret not being in it at all.
frankm01
FNGU is a 3X leveraged ETF for FANG+ stocks. FNGD is the inverse leveraged ETF. Both very volatile and per their
prospectus, are designed to be held for short periods of time. Although I'm not in either right now, I had done well with FNGU in 2020.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Great idea in March 2020, maybe less of a great idea once the fed tapers. Protect your gains.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
jh0400
AG
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-advisors/082515/why-leveraged-etfs-are-not-longterm-bet.asp

The long-term intrinsic value of a leveraged ETF is $0 due to the effect of decay. They're fine for short-term holds (intra-day to a few days) if you have a specific thesis. You can achieve similar returns by using SPY and adding leverage with options.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.